• The KillerFrogs

Gary Patterson

Limey Frog

Relax...GP see’s what we see..

The D has been asked to do a lot this year.. the O has been mindless

I don't know that he does. He's got guys who've been mediocre-to-poor that have been on his staff for more than a decade. If he's noticed that they're terrible coaches he has yet to give the world any sign of his comprehension.

Last edited:

Eight

Been a member for over a decade, but was building my company for the last few years and so my login lapsed. Anyway, I'm appalled with what I'm reading. Fire CGP..!?! We're 3-3..? His approach of loyalty is what gives us a chance at a national championship. Have you forgotten that we've been ranked #2 multiple times in the last decade, that he got us to the Big 12, that we should have been in the CFP the first year...?! Wow, what short-sidedness...

Now for Cumbie, he's mediocre at best... We had a false positive on his second year - turns out Boykin self coached himself. We need to take the hit this year and fire him, otherwise it's going to be a longer re-building period.

For those calling for CGP head, refocus your your energy - never gonna happen. What we're talking about here is his ability to pick his successor when he decides to retire. At one point I thought that would be Cumbie, but no longer. He can't develop players and he calls #@#@$@ plays. He needs to go coach high school. It's time to take the hit and get a new OC. Obviously Sonny Dykes would have been much better, but hindsight... So now we need to find someone else. We have the players, we have a legendary HC, now we just need the supporting cast at OC...

this isn't about simply making one coaching change as there are issues on the defensive side of the ball.

additionally, this isn't gary's program, it is tcu's program and if a point comes where he no longer is willing to do what is needed for the best interest of the program then some tough discussion are to be had.

additionally, gary has been very well compensated for his efforts and right now this is as much about protecting his legacy quite possibly from himself as it is about protecting tcu.

Mean Purple

this isn't about simply making one coaching change as there are issues on the defensive side of the ball.

additionally, this isn't gary's program, it is tcu's program and if a point comes where he no longer is willing to do what is needed for the best interest of the program then some tough discussion are to be had.

additionally, gary has been very well compensated for his efforts and right now this is as much about protecting his legacy quite possibly from himself as it is about protecting tcu.
Yes. We all hate that his legacy could tank. And he can be pretty stubborn. He has a great defensive scheme, with the exception that not every player is a returning starting senior and even they can't be left on an island the whole game on the back end. If the defense is suffering because he is having to spend more time to fix and horrible offensive plan, then fire the OC.

Pharm Frog

Yes. We all hate that his legacy could tank. And he can be pretty stubborn. He has a great defensive scheme, with the exception that not every player is a returning starting senior and even they can't be left on an island the whole game on the back end. If the defense is suffering because he is having to spend more time to fix and horrible offensive plan, then fire the OC.

Defend him if you want to but do not even pretend that he’s spending more than 30 minutes a week trying to fix the offense.

YA

This is so true. Probably more so than most want to admit.
The biggest mistake he made was keeping Cumbie and letting go of the players coach in Meachum.
Meachum isn’t ever coming back regardless of what the startlegtam story earlier this year said. He burned TCU by giving plays and signals to the whole conference in a vengeance tantrum.

JAB331

Went for 2, twice, when he did not need to in Norman and cost us big in conference. Letting Meach go. Keeping bad assistants.

I remember him going for 2 at Boise and being the first team to beat them on their home turf in over a decade. We're in a Power 5 conference now and Boise? Well...

And Meach..? He had three offensive minds - Cumbie, Meach, and Dykes... He stayed with Cumbie, and it's hard to fault that given the info he had at the time.

I get the offense line coordinator who had a stroke - that cost us, but it's really hard to second guess a move that might have earned us huge long term respect in the coaching community. it might actually pave the ground for our next legendary coach when GCP retires...

netty2424

Plenty of reason to criticize the entire staff and GP is at the top of that but I'm going to go ahead and call MAJOR BS on that last sentence. And please keep in mind that I'm calling MAJOR BS so this is very serious.

There's just no way that any head coach is ok with losing under any circumstances. That's asinine. He may well be overly loyal and he may well be doing some things wrong but he's not ok with losing just because it's with "his guys."
Yah Froggish let emotions get the better of him on that one. He’s a good poster. No way in hell GP is ok with losing just to keep his rich buddies employed.

Pharm Frog

The oc will be fired. Luper will be promoted. Either soon or at end of year.

Would be a horrible idea IMO. There doesn’t need to be another person hired or promoted that has a current affiliation with the program UNLESS someone from the outside is hired and promotes someone based on observation and evaluation and not because it was decreed.

netty2424

so who then is the real oc?

sure as heck won't be luper so ct? god forbid burns and anderson
kenny-trill-throat-slash-against-arkansas.gif

TRF51

Unless coach P is going to be the head coach and only the head coach he needs to step down. He use to be to the coach who did more with less now he is doing less with more. We should be no worse then the 3rd best team in the conference based off our recruiting record the last several years, that is a FACT.

TRF51

Meachum isn’t ever coming back regardless of what the startlegtam story earlier this year said. He burned TCU by giving plays and signals to the whole conference in a vengeance tantrum.[/QUOT
If true, it shows how stupid GP is not to change his calls, sorry but that is a lazy ass excuse that GP has given more than once.

Mean Purple

And they’ve yet to answer the call.
They answered the call a few times today. I know GP took the blame and mentioned that one play, but the fact is they should have not been in that position. With the offensive talent we have and ability to move the ball when reasonable offensive play calls are made, we should have been up by a good amount. Now, granted, putting in Delton right after a Duggan td was probably a momo killing moment.