• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Volleyball swept by Iowa State

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
https://gofrogs.com/news/2019/10/16/womens-volleyball-tcu-falls-to-iowa-state.aspx

GoFrogs: TCU falls to Iowa State

AMES, Iowa -- TCU volleyball lost to Iowa State, 3-0, Wednesday evening inside Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa. The Horned Frogs had their chances in the first two sets but would ultimately fall, 25-23, 25-23, 25-12.

"We competed hard tonight the first two sets but had too many unforced errors to close out either one of those opportunities," head coach Jill Kramer said. "Our floor defense did a good job of executing our game plan and making some big plays but we needed to anchor that with making some more positive plays at the net, both blocking and attacking.

TCU NOTABLES:
  • TCU managed 20 digs in the first set, a season-best for digs in a single set.
  • The team finished with 53 digs, its most in a three-set match this season.
  • Sophomore libero élan McCall matched her career high with three aces.
  • McCall also led the team with a season high 17 digs.
  • The Frogs hit six aces with just six service errors, the first time this season they have hit the same or more aces than errors in the match.
  • Sophomore right side Katie Clark led the team with 10 kills.
  • Redshirt junior Ashley Waggle led the team with a .320 hitting percentage, her career-best in Big 12 play with more than three attacks.
  • Freshman outside hitter Audrey Nalls led the team with 4.0 blocks, the most she's had in a conference match in her career.
  • She also finished with 11 digs, her fourth 10+ dig match of the season.

Set 1 (ISU, 25-23): After a tumultuous first 20 points, in which both teams traded 4-0 runs (10-10), TCU seemed to find a winning combination at the net. Swanson and Nalls blocked back-to-back ISU attacks to put the Frogs in front, 16-12. Momentum appeared to rest comfortably on the TCU side when the Frogs claimed a 20-16 advantage but the ISU attackers got hot, leading to a Cyclone run. They would steal the set, 25-23. There were 10 tie scores and seven lead changes in the set. Nalls filled the stat sheet, finishing with a team-best three kills to go along with her three blocks and five digs. McCall finished with seven digs, a season-best for digs in a single set.

Set 2 (ISU, 25-23): The Cyclones got off to a fast start in the second, jumping out front, 8-3. The Frogs would win 10 of the next 15 points to tie the score, 13-13. They even took the lead, 19-17 off the second McCall ace of the night. But, once again, Iowa State put things together late and took the set by two-points. The TCU offense revolved around the aggressive attacks of Waggle and Clark. The duo combined for 13 of TCU's 18 kills in the set – seven from Waggle and six from Clark. Waggle led the team with an outstanding .700 hitting percentage from her seven kills.

Set 3 (ISU, 25-12): Iowa State took control in the final set, never allowing space for a TCU comeback. They would win the set and the match. Nalls led the team with three kills.

UP NEXT:
The Horned Frogs continue their road trip through the Big 12 with a Saturday afternoon contest against the Kansas Jayhawks, in Lawrence. The match is set to begin at 1 p.m.

LeagueCityFrog

Swept in 3 sets. We are now tied as the worst volleyball team in the Big XII. Is this a good return on investment? Everyone is on Gary. What's going on here?

Eight

Swept in 3 sets. We are now tied as the worst volleyball team in the Big XII. Is this a good return on investment? Everyone is on Gary. What's going on here?

not sure i have ever heard college volleyball and roi.......i don't think the frogs are dropping near the money on their volleyball program as say texas

i couldn't find texas volleyball, but last year they spent $5.6 million on women's basketball, brought in $2.9 million in revenue, and had a record of 23-10 overall and 12-6 in conference.

so, is that an appropriate roi?

Last edited:

MacTexas744

I often wonder what difference a coach can make in volleyball. I look at Baylor and prior to hiring their current coach in 2015 the Bears were 14-17 with a conference record of 4-12. Now the Bears are 15-0 and ranked. TCU coach's first year was 2014 with a record of 19-10 with a conference record of 9-7 with players recruited by the previous coach. Now TCU's record is 6-10 with a conference record of 1-4.

Eight

I often wonder what difference a coach can make in volleyball. I look at Baylor and prior to hiring their current coach in 2015 the Bears were 14-17 with a conference record of 4-12. Now the Bears are 15-0 and ranked. TCU coach's first year was 2014 with a record of 19-10 with a conference record of 9-7 with players recruited by the previous coach. Now TCU's record is 6-10 with a conference record of 1-4.

i would guess the same as a coach in any sport.

recruiting, development of talent, and game strategy/system

Frog-in-law1995

I was the SID (and basically assistant AD) at a small NAIA college prior to law school and watched a new volleyball hire completely transform the program in his first season. The improvement in gameday feel was palpable and practically immediate. Won conference first year after the team went o-fer the previous season.

And as an aside, volleyball quickly grew on me as a very fun sport to watch live. I highly recommend it if you’re in the neighborhood during a match.

MTfrog5

After the season they hadn’t last year, I was expecting them to have a lot better year than they are having. Pretty disappointing

Eight

After the season they hadn’t last year, I was expecting them to have a lot better year than they are having. Pretty disappointing

i looked at the roster a little earlier today and they are pretty young. 1 senior, handful of juniors, a sophomore or two, and then a large number of freshmen