• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Frogs expect improvement after bye week

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
DMN: Frogs expect improvement after bye week

By Grant McGalliard

TCU running back Darius Anderson, safety Trevon Moehrig and head coach Gary Patterson spoke to the media as part of the weekly press conference on Tuesday.

Here are five things you need to know from their comments.

More help at wide receiver
TCU’s wideouts have been banged up since the start of the season. Jalen Reagor has been a mainstay on one side of the field, but a rotating cast of characters has appeared alongside him. Through five games, six different receivers have started in the non-Reagor spots.

Read more at https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/t...ence-frogs-expect-improvement-after-bye-week/

netty2424

“Through five games, six different receivers have started in the non-Reagor spots.

But this week, heading into Kansas State, the Frogs will finally have reinforcements. Taye Barber and Mikel Barkley are expected to be ready to go against the Wildcats.”

Believe it when I see it.

4th. down

“Through five games, six different receivers have started in the non-Reagor spots.

But this week, heading into Kansas State, the Frogs will finally have reinforcements. Taye Barber and Mikel Barkley are expected to be ready to go against the Wildcats.”

Believe it when I see it.

Reagor got 6 touches in the Iowa St. game. Move him to slot like Riley uses CeeDee Lamb. You have a roadmap Sonny in case you lost your way. Use Reagor like Riley uses Lamb.

4th. down

So, Gary admits now that they need to have more fun?
Did we just have a break through?

This is our most important game of the season, it's a must win. Why, because it would show our problems are greater than we've thought if we lose and we then drift over to Moose's statement of a record of 3-9.

Leap Frog

My guess ( only a guess) is that as hard as Gary works, we will see a different and better effort this week.
The negative comments ( we are all free to make them) aren't worth a bucket of spit and don't help anything.
Let's wait until all hope is gone later in the season, then I think GP and the staff are fair game--don't think that will happen.

Froggish

Good article at ESPN on the offensive transformation at LSU since spring ball:

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...c-wide-receiver-group-key-newly-potent-attack

Good Article....Goes back to the data which says offenses that can throw it..should throw it. We certainly don't have the offensive talent LSU does. Clearly establishing the run is an old school way of thinking. OCs today should simply establish what the defense is giving you. However, the data is clear that throwing the ball will lead to more points than running it. Wins may or may not follow those passes, but points will.

Think of it this way..The average offense is going to get 13-17 possessions a game and needs to score in 6-8 of those possession for a "W". Meaning the defense has to get off the field 8-12 times a game to get close to win. When your offense sucks, you have to to get off the field 10-14 times a game. That's brutal on a defense. The best offenses is to actually be slow and explosive. Its just that most teams can't be explosive going slow. Look at OU right now..Believe it or not they are below average in snap pace...They are moving pretty slow and deliberate but still getting explosive plays. This isn't getting enough press on their offensive success.

Limey Frog

I thought we expected to be good in the first week of September.

As to @Leap Frog's comment above; yes, we're all rooting for improvement and will be thrilled to see it. If TCU is playing a game, I'll be watching and cheering for a W. Heck, I just arranged a flight time for next Saturday specifically around the principle that I will not be in the air while the Frogs are playing Texas. I'm spending about five hours in an airport-adjacent sports bar while I wait for Mrs. Limey to follow on a later flight just so that I can watch TCU, even though I know there's a decent chance we'll get drubbed. Crazy? Jerk? Terrible husband? I don't know, but I love my Frogs.

Negative comments may not do much to help, but at some level disgruntled fanbases are a catalyst for change. If you just cheerfully accept unprepared teams without complaint, that breeds a culture of mediocrity. I'll always be a TCU fan, but I'll never passively accept mediocre TCU football without comment. So far, we suck. I'm not happy about that.

Last edited:

Wexahu

Good Article....Goes back to the data which says offenses that can throw it..should throw it. We certainly don't have the offensive talent LSU does. Clearly establishing the run is an old school way of thinking. OCs today should simply establish what the defense is giving you. However, the data is clear that throwing the ball will lead to more points than running it. Wins may or may not follow those passes, but points will.

Think of it this way..The average offense is going to get 13-17 possessions a game and needs to score in 6-8 of those possession for a "W". Meaning the defense has to get off the field 8-12 times a game to get close to win. When your offense sucks, you have to to get off the field 10-14 times a game. That's brutal on a defense. The best offenses is to actually be slow and explosive. Its just that most teams can't be explosive going slow. Look at OU right now..Believe it or not they are below average in snap pace...They are moving pretty slow and deliberate but still getting explosive plays. This isn't getting enough press on their offensive success.

IMO an offense that is dependent on going fast, lining up and getting a play off before the defense can get set is a bad offense, and it's not an offense that really leads to winning football. Just leads to higher scoring games. The problem is the public perception that teams that lose games 45-42 are "better" than teams that lose 20-17.

Now, if we have to go uptempo in order to score, by all means let's do it, but in the offseason let's scrap the offense and start running stuff that will work throughout a game.

Froggish

IMO an offense that is dependent on going fast, lining up and getting a play off before the defense can get set is a bad offense, and it's not an offense that really leads to winning football. Just leads to higher scoring games. The problem is the public perception that teams that lose games 45-42 are "better" than teams that lose 20-17.

Now, if we have to go uptempo in order to score, by all means let's do it, but in the offseason let's scrap the offense and start running stuff that will work throughout a game.

Look at FLorida St and tape fingers...He's proving your point. Hyper speed and inefficiency are like gas to a flame for W/L record.

I continue to beat the drum that its not about going fast or going slow. Its about knowing the moments in a game where either is most effective. In the course of game, even within the course of a single possession your tempo needs purpose and variety. Go fast to get a matchup you want or catch a team sleeping or go slow to make TOP really hurt your opponent.

I also have a strong belief that pre-snap adjustments by an offense is the new "PACE". It created pace effect. Its a way of creating personnel mismatches without speeding up pace. In other words, Line up, let the defense show itself and use shifting and motion to get an advantage. Shifting and Motion is the way a smart team can keep pace slow and still get the effect of going fast..Its confusing as hell for a defense and keeps them in reactionary mode rather than attacking.

Wexahu

I continue to beat the drum that its not about going fast or going slow. Its about knowing the moments in a game where either is most effective. In the course of game, even within the course of a single possession your tempo needs purpose and variety. Go fast to get a matchup you want or catch a team sleeping or go slow to make TOP really hurt your opponent.

Kind of related, but I can't tell you how many times I've watched teams with 3-score leads with 10 minutes to go in a game, or they'll be up by 13 points with 7:00 to go.....and they'll be snapping the ball with 20+ seconds on the play clock. That's when I know I'm watching a crap team with a crap offense.

4th. down

Well thought, and it's so true, and I was thinking the same about OU as they were taking down Texas - not run and gun all the time. One other thing, Hurts consistently took real deep drops, real deep, and when he scrambled it seemed to leave more of an open field and the Texas defensive line was too tired and slow to catch him covering that much ground.

Bottom line to all of this, Riley is just good.

Eight

Our offense looks inconsistent and confused.

dazed-and-confused-football-coaches.jpg

Snoop1122

The offense just needs to show it can score. They are inconsistent and there is not much balance with only one receiver stepping it up to be an option outside of Reagor.