• The KillerFrogs

Kansas State Press Conference

4th. down

I think those statements occur too frequently, but I also think they are true about 20% of the time. I think the statements are intended to distract from the players performance and put all the heat on Gary. It's better for the fans and media to spend time focusing on Gary not being able to change his signals than talking about how badly a certain LB/DE/CB/WR/RB/QB played.

You have come up with a reasonable explanation that has been confounding us. This must be what's really happening, otherwise, it gets too scary to imagine.

H0RNEDFR0G

Maybe we should disregard about 90% of what GP says.

He has put out so much misinformation over the last 2 years, he's becoming difficult to believe on anything. Why would he make statements like not prepared for wet grass and signals? What is he really covering up with this misdirection? Rain was in the forecast for a week and he already knew of the long thick grass but we didn't have the right shoes, kinda like the Rose Bowl. They are stealing our signals again..........really, thought you just changed them in the Spring, did you forget to do that?

Gary didn't have to tell me they weren't prepared for the wet field, all I had to do was watch the game. On offense, our strategy of getting it to speedsters and making guys miss was never going to work. Our shifty guys would try to make a hard cut and would slip and fall. You can't run those finesse style plays on a wet field. Rain was in the forecast all week, it's unacceptable to not be prepared for it, but we weren't.

My thought on signal gate was that we DID change the signals, but Sonny Dykes became familiar with the system of signal calling, and it only took him a few series to decode the new signals. This will always be a concern as long as Gary insists on calling the defense himself. He wants all eyes on him, he's not going to use a decoy play caller. How easy do you think it is to decode what a single playcaller is doing? Watch the call, watch the play, boom - that's the signal.

Long story short, I think he's telling the truth. Which may be more frightening than anything he could attempt to conceal.

4th. down

Gary didn't have to tell me they weren't prepared for the wet field, all I had to do was watch the game. On offense, our strategy of getting it to speedsters and making guys miss was never going to work. Our shifty guys would try to make a hard cut and would slip and fall. You can't run those finesse style plays on a wet field. Rain was in the forecast all week, it's unacceptable to not be prepared for it, but we weren't.

My thought on signal gate was that we DID change the signals, but Sonny Dykes became familiar with the system of signal calling, and it only took him a few series to decode the new signals. This will always be a concern as long as Gary insists on calling the defense himself. He wants all eyes on him, he's not going to use a decoy play caller. How easy do you think it is to decode what a single playcaller is doing? Watch the call, watch the play, boom - that's the signal.

Long story short, I think he's telling the truth. Which may be more frightening than anything he could attempt to conceal.

Houston, we have a problem.

PO Frog

This is actually A great point. GP's signals are as elementary as you can get and we make no effort to use other guys as decoys, placards, or anything else that teams use these days. Probably takes about 5 plays to determine what the signals are whether they changed them a month ago or at halftime.

Moose Stuff

This is actually A great point. GP's signals are as elementary as you can get and we make no effort to use other guys as decoys, placards, or anything else that teams use these days. Probably takes about 5 plays to determine what the signals are whether they changed them a month ago or at halftime.

And yet somehow we can’t seem to get the plays called on time and our defense is often not set at the snap. So apparently the other teams know our plays better than WE do.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Other teams know our system, and they know our tendencies.

The main weakness is GMFP looking at the opposing formation, then signaling in what he wants the defense to do. Opposing teams merely wait for the defense to be staring at the sideline for signals, and snap the ball. Chaos ensues.

Figuring out a simplified signaling method, or, heaven forfend, trusting your kids to know and adjust based on the look shown them would be a good adjustment.

4th. down

The main weakness is GMFP looking at the opposing formation, then signaling in what he wants the defense to do. Opposing teams merely wait for the defense to be staring at the sideline for signals, and snap the ball. Chaos ensues.

Figuring out a simplified signaling method, or, heaven forfend, trusting your kids to know and adjust based on the look shown them would be a good adjustment.

Who knows what Texas and OU were using for their signals but neither one seemed to be having the trouble we have...........repeatedly.

LawFrog504

I don't understand why the media keep reporting that Dave Aranda is the highest paid DC in the country, when in reality it's actually Gary Patterson

Never changes signals (stubborn), sends OC's to the podium, and dont you DARE ask him about the QB position, because you will be referred back to said OC.

Glorified DC.

LawFrog504

Why are we, as a fanbase and as an athletic department, not begging for answers about stealing signs? This happens 2-3 times a year and we say "ah shucks, pour another moscow mule!" The reason this keeps happening is because GP answers to no one, knows he'll never face a consequence for it, and can walk all over people. This is the most basic effing thing we can fix but instead we'd rather use it as some sort of scapegoat when we give up 42 to a G5 team. Like that makes it any better.

Froggish

Alex Grinch the new OU Def Coord in an interview accredit 2 things to them improving defensively 1. Simplifying the calls and reads 2. Every position up for grab based on effort alone.

Interesting thing is Lincoln has actually said that one of the keys to his offenses success is that the QB has only 2 things to key on every play. His key to success literally just making the game assignments easier.

this is one of the key ways the game is passing Gary over..He making the game to hard for players by making them read a ton of presnap stuff where as the rest of football is making it easier to play just on instincts. It plays out in a number of ways..Big play busts as a result of presnap shifting and motion, takes to long to get calls in, and a kid can’t be counted on until he’s been in the system for 3 years..

LawFrog504

Alex Grinch the new OU Def Coord in an interview accredit 2 things to them improving defensively 1. Simplifying the calls and reads 2. Every position up for grab based on effort alone.

Interesting thing is Lincoln has actually said that one of the keys to his offenses success is that the QB has only 2 things to key on every play. His key to success literally just making the game assignments easier.

this is one of the key ways the game is passing Gary over..He making the game to hard for players by making them read a ton of presnap stuff where as the rest of football is making it easier to play just on instincts. It plays out in a number of ways..Big play busts as a result of presnap shifting and motion, takes to long to get calls in, and a kid can’t be counted on until he’s been in the system for 3 years..
Dead on. We needed to be creative/ confuse teams more 10 years ago when we had no talent. Now we have talent and don't need to make this as hard as we are. Ohio State runs scheissing cover 1 for gods sake.

Adapt to your players- the ultimate sign of a good coach

PO Frog

This is a good point - it usually takes our safeties several years in the system to figure out how the hell to line up. That means it's too complicated.

BABYFACE

Technically it’s a S converted to LB converted to DE and converted back to LB.
I guessing you were using sarcasm, but if not, Harris played LB as freshman. Moved to safety for sophomore and junior seasons at Aledo. He was a LB his senior in HS. It is his natural position and what he was recruited to play.

BABYFACE

Re: Defense signal calling

Remember the proven rule: KISS

tumblr_oycwrchcAt1w50608o1_400.gif

Eight

i agree that at times it seems gary is trying to control too many things and we can see the results in players rushing to get lined up as well as players who aren't moving at the snap of the ball.

players who aren't sure what is happening don't move quickly and over the first half of this season we have seen a number of occasions where defensive players appeared to be stuck n a spot and reaching instead of reacting.

Moose Stuff

I guessing you were using sarcasm, but if not, Harris played LB as freshman. Moved to safety for sophomore and junior seasons at Aledo. He was a LB his senior in HS. It is his natural position and what he was recruited to play.

I’m not sure sarcasm is the right word as what I typed is accurate. But yes, I know he’s a LB that was recruited to play LB.

BABYFACE

I could up being wrong on Harris, but I think he will become a mainstay at LB down the road. I expect him to take his lumps as a true freshman.

Froggish

I thought Winters was better than LVZ.. had a lot of mistakes but his instincts were infinitely better.. Now he’s out of the equation for Harris?... This LB situation is a mess