• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU’s Patterson wants to see faster starts, more physical play by Frogs

Portland Frog

I'd be fascinated to hear what Duggan's dad thinks of the way our offense has been managed and coached up to this point.

If his father recalls the series below (among many others) from the ISU game, he’s pulling his hair out as are we:

1st Down: sideline throw to the TE split wide. CB in tight coverage, 2 yards off the LOS. No one there to block. Play had no chance. 1 yard gain.

2nd and 9: Anderson runs up the middle for 4 yards.

3rd and 5: Reagor split wide right runs a fly pattern straight down the field. Double covered (no separation) with safety help. No chance to complete the throw but he’s the only receiver on that side so had to try and force the throw into too tight of coverage. Fortunately no INT.

4th Down punt (commence hair pulling).

Casey T

Didn't delton play a few series at the end of the first half against Iowa State, when we were trailing? I would call those meaningful but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Seems to me like we play delton every now and then in the event Max either gets hurt or is sucking and we want to switch qb's for an offensive spark. I'd rather we do this with collins or baldwin

jake102

Collins needs to be the 2nd guy up, not Delton. I just don't understand how our coaching staff can't see the things that are obvious to couch quarterbacks. Just like last year.... so much rave and rant about how Robinson wasn't turning the ball over in practice and really managing the offense. Eight games into the season, including single handedly saving UT from implosion, and we finally explore what Collins may be. Was it a ton better? Nope. But we didn't turn it over as much and had a little more consistency. And now this year it was all about how Delton looks awesome running the offense, much better thrower than expected, held down by the KState offense...

I think Duggan should get every opportunity to start and take every snap, but you also can't leave a guy in the game like 1H against Iowa State when he started airmailing four yard RB screens

Eight

Gary clearly loves Delton. I just don't gleen much from what Gary has to say about anything. Fact is, Delton has barely played any real meaningful time so Gary's words are just that. Words. Plus, the media asks a lot of questions about Delton, so to a certain degree this is simply Gary answering questions that are asked of him. It's not like Gary is going into every press conference saying "all right everyone, let's all stop what we're doing and talk about Alex for the next few minutes."

And who knows if Delton would even have played as much as he has so far if Collins and/or Baldwin hadn't been injured for so long.

no, but gary could change the focus off alex.

i think we all agree that gary in a press conference is very much a loose cannon be it right after the game or the mid-week conferences.

he really doesn't care what he says and for the most part no one in the metroplex media ever holds him accountable to the things he says in the conferences.

pretty sure no one in the media has asked in the frogs couldn't kick the field goal against smu because it was out of the kickers' effective range why the longer attempt at iowa state.

if he is at a bigger program or in certain markets that feed off those things it gets mentioned and that most likely isn't a bad thing it got by passed.

curious though on the psyche of your freshman quarterback who basically gets back handed compliments from you in the press conference when your back up who has been in the program the same amount of time as you is praised on a regular basis.

delton gets the bled for the program treatment while duggan who has been in ft worth the very same amount of time gets the lukewarm praise.

Eight

Collins needs to be the 2nd guy up, not Delton. I just don't understand how our coaching staff can't see the things that are obvious to couch quarterbacks. Just like last year.... so much rave and rant about how Robinson wasn't turning the ball over in practice and really managing the offense. Eight games into the season, including single handedly saving UT from implosion, and we finally explore what Collins may be. Was it a ton better? Nope. But we didn't turn it over as much and had a little more consistency. And now this year it was all about how Delton looks awesome running the offense, much better thrower than expected, held down by the KState offense...

I think Duggan should get every opportunity to start and take every snap, but you also can't leave a guy in the game like 1H against Iowa State when he started airmailing four yard RB screens

a key point here jake is that if the staff feels they need to give max a break great, but to replace him with someone whose strength isn't throwing the ball when gary continually says the team has to get better throwing the ball makes little sense.

agree that collins might not be great, but he has shown he knows the passing offense and can be an effective change.

delton's skillset doesn't match any other quarterback in the system and his strength isn't really in the areas that the offense seems to struggle, but who knows.

tcumaniac

Double standard here.

You and others were all over Robinson's "helicopter parents" and now you want to hear how Max's dad feels? The last thing we need is how our frosh QB's dad thinks about anything. That would be another classic ST hit job.

Dumb post.
Good grief. No I wasn't. I was all over Shawn for being a lazy, unmotivated turnover machine.

Max's dad was a head coach that coached his son who was the starter for 4 straight years where Max totaled 3,788 yards passing and 35 touchdown tosses along with 1,500 yards on the ground and 27 rushing scores.

At the very least, Max's dad is qualified to have some very educated opinions. I'd love to know if he's as frustrated as we as a fan base are. Or, due to his coaching background, sees things from a different perspective and is willing to extend a little more grace to our coaching staff.

I think the way we've handled Delton and Duggan at times is completely moronic and that our offensive scheme and play calling has been complete ass at times. Would be curious if Max's dad agrees, or if he's less frustrated than I am. Would either justify my frustration or help walk me off the ledge.

Wexahu

Good grief. No I wasn't. I was all over Shawn for being a lazy, unmotivated turnover machine.

Max's dad was a head coach that coached his son who was the starter for 4 straight years where Max totaled 3,788 yards passing and 35 touchdown tosses along with 1,500 yards on the ground and 27 rushing scores.

At the very least, Max's dad is qualified to have some very educated opinions. I'd love to know if he's as frustrated as we as a fan base are. Or, due to his coaching background, sees things from a different perspective and is willing to extend a little more grace to our coaching staff.

I think the way we've handled Delton and Duggan at times is completely moronic and that our offensive scheme and play calling has been complete ass at times. Would be curious if Max's dad agrees, or if he's less frustrated than I am. Would either justify my frustration or help walk me off the ledge.

Honestly, if I had to guess, Duggan's dad is probably pretty thrilled that he's getting this much playing time as a true freshman. It doesn't happen all that often, if everything happened the way it might normally happen he might not have started games until 2021 at the earliest. Anyway, I highly doubt he's that critical of anything at this point.

Eight

Honestly, if I had to guess, Duggan's dad is probably pretty thrilled that he's getting this much playing time as a true freshman. It doesn't happen all that often, if everything happened the way it might normally happen he might not have started games until 2021 at the earliest. Anyway, I highly doubt he's that critical of anything at this point.

go one step further wex, as his father is a former head coach i would be shocked if he said anything critical of gary and the program to anyone he knew for sure wasn't of their discretion

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

"Therein lies the rub..." None of us see practices. Ever. Oh, there are some who have "inside" rumors about practices, and who the players are rumored to like and all, but no real first-hand knowledge. All we have to base our opinions upon are what we see on the field. On Game Day.

There are practice players, and there are gamers. Why this is is anybody's guess, but some guys just do better under the lights. Recognizing that, and working with it instead of against it is something I am afraid our present Staff has yet to learn.

Froggish

So you admit that it doesn't matter a whole lot. Thanks

Young QBs only get better getting reps..Managing the game, seeing different looks from the defense, and executing. Regardless of the score you don’t get the experience needed standing on the sidelines. It was a missed opportunity to continue his growth even if a small one..It all matters in the big picture of development.

"▪ TCU fifth-year senior Alex Delton is expected to play in his return to Manhattan, Kansas, Patterson said. "

Give me a scheissing break Gary. If Max is still having to split reps with Alex, I want a refund on my season tickets. Just ridiculous.

But installing a faster tempo isn’t a priority for the Frogs, and the second half’s offensive scheme against Iowa State was due in large part to TCU needing to erase a massive deficit....."When we can run the football, it’s helped us, because it opens everything else,” he said. “What we weren’t able to do against Iowa State was, we couldn’t run the football....” ~ GP

He's a hard headed Mother Chigger. Sometimes I wish GP had a little, "Ready....Fire.....Aim" in him.

PO Frog

Remember when Patterson said that he expects Waymon James to play?

Why are people still acting like anything Gary says to the press actually means something?
This makes me sad - I really thought Waymon James had next level talent before the knee injury. Such a bowling ball like Maurice Jones Drew type that I thought had a big future in pro football.

Austintxfrog94

wz2pcBF.gif

This thread

AroundWorldFrog

Double standard here.

You and others were all over Robinson's "helicopter parents" and now you want to hear how Max's dad feels? The last thing we need is how our frosh QB's dad thinks about anything. That would be another classic ST hit job.

Dumb post.
You realize Max's dad was a HS coach for a long time, right?