• The KillerFrogs

OT: Warning -- Youth Tackle Football is Like Smoking

HFrog1999

Growing up in a place like Odessa makes it tough to not play football. Hell, we probably got concussions playing tackle football out in the yard. At least once I ran full speed into a cement block fence trying to catch a pass and knocked myself out.

And at least three times in HS, I can remember hits that 100% caused a concussion with hundreds of hits on top of that which may have caused a concussion. You just gutted it up and stayed on the field. And here are times now that I believe that I'm paying for that.

Did I love the game? You bet. And the harder the hit, the better.

I’ve got a scar on my elbow from the annual Tom Brown/Clark Football game

steelfrog

Tier 1
Anyone who would permit his offspring to matriculate at navy demonstrates a severe lack of critical thinking. I assume steel suffers from CTE as a consequence of too much (Non grexual) wrasslin.

he means squid as in child not squid as in squabbie.

But, Steel would have been super proud if LS has a gone to naval academy, so long as he went Marines like Steels pappy.

Mean Purple

For the people who play football, except for the under 1% who have a chance at making money at it, football is the dumbest thing you could do.

And the reality is that the research is still evolving and not in a good direction.

One study covered a HS football team after just one season, and only measured the kids who DID NOT receive a concussion during the season, and found that micro concussive forces caused measurable cognitive decline in just the span of a few months.

Steel would guess that another study will soon find that the proliferation of older white dudes with goatees can directly be linked to CTE. So dumb, so, so dumb.
I'm sure the ambulance chasers will make a buck off of it, so dont worry.

Mean Purple

And we wonder why there is a lack of men who act as men in the world.

If the PC wimp crowd starts in on rodeo again, I say drop the in the chutes and bring in the rough stock.

Surfrog

Another problem is dumbass amateur "coaches" who line kids up 10 yards away from each other for "tackling" drills.

In college and NFL, every tackling drill is focused on technique with a bag, shield, or dummy. In the real "Oklahoma Drill" you're lined up facemask to facemask to work on shedding the blocker and running your feet on contact. None of this steam train someone from 5 yards away [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] you see "coaches" posting on social media.

froginmn

One study covered a HS football team after just one season, and only measured the kids who DID NOT receive a concussion during the season, and found that micro concussive forces caused measurable cognitive decline in just the span of a few months.
You must have played a lot of football.

Brevity Frog

Steel had his feelings hurt because he and his offspring are rasslers and not football players, and people micro-aggressed them for it.

Note Steel never discusses soccer head injuries, just football.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Steel speaks from a place of knowledge, not ignorance, having been a footballer hisownself. And LS played through 8th grade. And several of the other Steel kinder have played soccer, combat sports etc.

Steel isn't necessarily saying don't let your kids do football. Steel is saying that in our society, especially here in Texas, (a) let the kid do what they want, don't push or even lead them into it and (b) make choices acknowledging risks instead of ignorantly downplaying known risks and (c) don't be dumbasses which you all are naturally inclined to do. Virtually none of your little darlings are playing in the NFL so accurately balance costs and benefits.

The insidious nature of the sport is that those who are closest to being NFL talent fall the farthest when they don't make it and end up working in a warehouse for some TCU booster before they die of a heart attack or stroke 30 years too early.

Billy Clyde

Agree to disagree, ok. Discussion over.

Now, one thing we all CAN agree on, is that old white guys with goatees are mental. They have issues. They are the reason we all get to listen to "Low T" commercials on a daily, or hourly, basis.

That is all.

You seem really fixated with these men, did one of them pop your cherry?

steelfrog

Tier 1
They just look dumb, like they are trying too hard to look cool and get approval, when they are way too old for that nonsense. They got a screw loose! They have unresolved mommy and daddy issues! They are not to be trusted!

What does pop your cherry mean, exactly? If you know. May just be a clever turn of phrase...

Billy Clyde

They just look dumb, like they are trying too hard to look cool and get approval, when they are way too old for that nonsense. They got a screw loose! They have unresolved mommy and daddy issues! They are not to be trusted!

What does pop your cherry mean, exactly? If you know. May just be a clever turn of phrase...

Just point to where the bad man touched you

LVH

Anyone who says "I wont let my kid play football" will have their kids grow up to be interior designers or makeup artists anyway. Congrats on raising a feminine loser.

The new world order has launched an all out assault on everything masculine and football is one of the things they have attacked, hence why we get all this chicken little fear mongering about how dangerous football is, when its really not.

I dont get why football leagues at all levels continue to back down and pander to these idiots who are trying to destroy football. They are all soy drinking femboys anyway who have kids that will grow up to be transgenders or makeup artists.

Zubaz

Anyone who says "I wont let my kid play football" will have their kids grow up to be interior designers or makeup artists anyway. Congrats on raising a feminine loser.

The new world order has launched an all out assault on everything masculine and football is one of the things they have attacked, hence why we get all this chicken little fear mongering about how dangerous football is, when its really not.

I dont get why football leagues at all levels continue to back down and pander to these idiots who are trying to destroy football. They are all soy drinking femboys anyway who have kids that will grow up to be transgenders or makeup artists.
KeyColorlessCrownofthornsstarfish-size_restricted.gif

Eight

i was about to feel sorry for you, but then i reread this is kenny power's voice and imagined you dressed like this and felt better because for you.

3f785b248af2630e50bb23466e4ea296.jpg

Fosterpark Squatter

I get not letting your kids play certain sports but it's kind of messed up if you're also a fan of that sport. I remember one of the guys on The Fan said he wouldnt let his kid play football even though he's not only a fan but gets paid to talk about the sport a bunch.