• The KillerFrogs

Curious (Non-Sports)

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
A70-13941

th

MAcFroggy

Are there any limitations that would prohibit future campus expansion north of W. Cantey St. and west of

University Dr. ?

I do not think there is anything that would prohibit it other than a school and two churches being in the way.

Parking lot 4 is owned by TCU and that is north of Cantey and west of University.

Brog

The only privately owned property on Cantey between University and Stadium is that run down wooden building that looks abandoned on the corner of Wabash and Cantey. 2725 Wabash is its address. According to the Tarrant tax records, it is owned by a family here in ft worth.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
I remember my dad used to tell me that the Spanish looking apartments on Park Hill @ University were once offered up to TCU in the 50’s, possibly as graduate or Brite housing and TCU said thanks, no thanks. ‘Course back then there was next to nothing for grad or Brite housing, unlike now. That all said, seems the natural growth direction for campus is toward BlueBonnet circle, certainly enuf stealth dorms thataway now.

Deep Purple

Back in 1998-1999 when Mick Ferrari was Chancellor and TCU was buying up properties to the east from Lubbock Ave to McCart, the University Park and University West neighborhood associations were concerned that the university would begin expanding its campus north into their neighborhoods. University officials met with neighborhood association reps and assured them that TCU had no plans to expand north of W Cantey St. Lot 4 is north of Cantey, but TCU ownership of that property predates the Cantey assurance by a long time, so that indicates nothing.

A bigger question is whether the current TCU administration would feel obligated to honor a 20-year-old assurance made by a previous administration. I strongly suspect they would. If TCU absolutely has to expand further, I think the odds are much greater that it will expand south of Berry St (but not Bellaire). In fact TCU has already acquired and renovated the old La Mancha Business Center (formerly West Berry Church of Christ, built in 1949-50) next to the CVS Pharmacy on the south side of Bellaire. Human Resources and parts of IT and Advancement Operations are housed in that building.

TCU even won an award from Historic Fort Worth for preserving the architectural integrity of the building.

HG73

Back in 1998-1999 when Mick Ferrari was Chancellor and TCU was buying up properties to the east from Lubbock Ave to McCart, the University Park and University West neighborhood associations were concerned that the university would begin expanding its campus north into their neighborhoods. University officials met with neighborhood association reps and assured them that TCU had no plans to expand north of W Cantey St. Lot 4 is north of Cantey, but TCU ownership of that property predates the Cantey assurance by a long time, so that indicates nothing.

A bigger question is whether the current TCU administration would feel obligated to honor a 20-year-old assurance made by a previous administration. I strongly suspect they would. If TCU absolutely has to expand further, I think the odds are much greater that it will expand south of Berry St (but not Bellaire). In fact TCU has already acquired and renovated the old La Mancha Business Center (formerly West Berry Church of Christ, built in 1949-50) next to the CVS Pharmacy on the south side of Bellaire. Human Resources and parts of IT and Advancement Operations are housed in that building.

TCU even won an award from Historic Fort Worth for preserving the architectural integrity of the building.
LaMancha Business Center formerly Toby's Business College.