• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU’s Patterson wants to see faster starts, more physical play by Frogs

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU’s Patterson wants to see faster starts, more physical play by Frogs

By Drew Davison

Slow starts have been an early trend for TCU’s football team.

The Frogs have scored a touchdown on their opening offensive drive just once this season. Falling behind early in games has been difficult to overcome in losses to SMU and Iowa State.

SMU jumped out to an early 15-0 lead, and Iowa State enjoyed a 21-3 lead in the first half, as each went on to victories without ever trailing.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article236195738.html#storylink=cpy

Limp Lizard

As far back as I remember, the defense under GP tends to start out slow in games. My "standard" for feeling good about the Frogs' chances was 10 or less points the first three possessions. Of course, that assumes we have an offense with a pulse and that does not turn the ball over. I particularly remember the Liberty Bowl against Col. State and the Rose Bowl, where the opposing offenses blew through our defense like tissue paper the first two possessions. Then bam! They looked like a GP defense. Or a couple of years ago where we had that streak of teams not scoring a TD in the second half.

Every once in a while the Frogs start dominating on defense from the first possession. Like the Peach Bowl. Then it will be a long, long day for that team....if our offense has a pulse.

So hopefully GP has started to turn the D around like he has every year except 2004.

But does the offense have a pulse?

Big Frog II

Offense has to have some life in the first half. They have come out sloppy and predictable in the first half. Need to start up tempo to get Duggan in the game earlier. Defense needs to stop the wheel route and put pressure on the QB.

Wexahu

"▪ TCU fifth-year senior Alex Delton is expected to play in his return to Manhattan, Kansas, Patterson said. "

Give me a scheissing break Gary. If Max is still having to split reps with Alex, I want a refund on my season tickets. Just ridiculous.

GP's admiration for Delton is just getting in the way at this point, if in fact he is going to keep splitting reps with Duggan. I don't get it.

Eight

can anyone explain to me about the captains for the team.

are they voted on by the players or selected by patterson?

Now that every defense is playing the run because they have no respect for the TCUs wide receivers, they have to make some plays. They have to get separation. Play the TE more. If they can be a threat then the strength of TCU which is the run game can take over. Then TCU can play its game which is punching the other team in the mouth with its tempo, control the clock and win by 20 points.

Eight

Now that every defense is playing the run because they have no respect for the TCUs wide receivers, they have to make some plays. They have to get separation. Play the TE more. If they can be a threat then the strength of TCU which is the run game can take over. Then TCU can play its game which is punching the other team in the mouth with its tempo, control the clock and win by 20 points.

the frogs aren't built for that type of offense, haven't you heard anything gary has said lately

Planks

"▪ TCU fifth-year senior Alex Delton is expected to play in his return to Manhattan, Kansas, Patterson said. "

Give me a scheissing break Gary. If Max is still having to split reps with Alex, I want a refund on my season tickets. Just ridiculous.

Delton shouldn’t even be splitting reps with Mike Collins, much less Max. Heck at this point he probably shouldn’t even be splitting reps with Matthew Baldwin assuming he’s is healthy or close to it.

CountryFrog

If Gary said it then it must be true.

Plus, "expected to play" and "splitting reps" are two very different things. Not sure what else can be done to make it incredibly obvious that the coaching staff is 100% all in with Duggan as the starter. He's taken almost every meaningful snap since halfway through the 1st quarter at Purdue.

CountryFrog

Delton shouldn’t even be splitting reps with Mike Collins, much less Max. Heck at this point he probably shouldn’t even be splitting reps with Matthew Baldwin assuming he’s is healthy or close to it.
I believe Maniac is the only person who has actually said that Delton is splitting reps with Duggan so you can save your frustration on that.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Wow...

I see no reason whatsoever for Delton to be taking snaps in practice or in games. That is, unless about three other people are injured. This Season is just about done as far as Bowl games are concerned, and thus we should be practicing the kids who will be next year's stars. Provided, that is, they don't all leap for The Portal and transfer away to greener pastures. There won't be the extra weeks of practice after the season ends if there's no Bowl.

This is not the team we thought we had. In fact, it isn't even a pale shadow of what we thought we'd have. There is some serious re-evaluating and replacement to be done if we are to have hope for next year, both on the field and in the coaching ranks.

Planks

I believe Maniac is the only person who has actually said that Delton is splitting reps with Duggan so you can save your frustration on that.

Allow me to rephrase my statement, I think Mike Collins and Matthew Baldwin (if healthy) should be getting more reps in practice than Delton. I have yet to see any on the field evidence that Alex Delton is a better quarterback than Mike Collins.

Chico Dusty

He shouldn’t be getting in at all. In my opinion, you select your guy and go with him until he can’t play (injured), or it’s clear he can’t get the job done. Or if it’s a blowout. This is big time college football and the best ppl must play and play as much as possible. This back and forth lacks clear leadership and hurts the team.

Pharm Frog

Haven’t read the article but unless CGP articulates what the team will do differently to increase the likelihood of starting faster, I have no reason to believe that his “want” will translate into meaningful, purposeful change. Not sure this is something you can “wish” into existence.

tcumaniac

Wow...

I see no reason whatsoever for Delton to be taking snaps in practice or in games. That is, unless about three other people are injured. This Season is just about done as far as Bowl games are concerned, and thus we should be practicing the kids who will be next year's stars. Provided, that is, they don't all leap for The Portal and transfer away to greener pastures. There won't be the extra weeks of practice after the season ends if there's no Bowl.

This is not the team we thought we had. In fact, it isn't even a pale shadow of what we thought we'd have. There is some serious re-evaluating and replacement to be done if we are to have hope for next year, both on the field and in the coaching ranks.
If the coaches truly intend to let Delton have a few series then it's safe to assume he's at least taking up some of the first team practice reps.

Outside of maybe the occasional gimmick play, Delton shouldn't see the field again this season unless Duggan and Collins both get hurt.

CountryFrog

Allow me to rephrase my statement, I think Mike Collins and Matthew Baldwin (if healthy) should be getting more reps in practice than Delton. I have yet to see any on the field evidence that Alex Delton is a better quarterback than Mike Collins.
I get that and maybe we will see more of Collins going forward. Unfortunately for Mike he's been injured for most of the last 12 months which makes it very difficult to actually compete for playing time so it's fairly easy to understand why Delton has been ahead of Collins up to now.