• The KillerFrogs

WEEK 7 - Other Games Thread

netty2424

But that's the point, right? Sometimes 1-loss will get you in, other times it will not. It doesnt seem to depend on "who the team is" because we've seen the exact same team left out with 1 loss AND get in with one loss. It depends on the circumstances and records you're competing against, not the brands.
My last comment on this, but the point I’m making is the big state u or national brands get the benefit of the doubt. 1 loss isn’t a killer. The second tier TCU’s of the football landscape don’t get that same benefit. Perfection is the requirement. Open it up, let the players play.

Or you can sit back and watch the Wex’s of the world continue to blow big star u brand and just assume they’re better than everyone else, so why would they let the programs sort it out. The games are already being played, they just don’t count.

Zubaz

My last comment on this, but the point I’m making is the big state u or national brands get the benefit of the doubt. 1 loss isn’t a killer. The second tier TCU’s of the football landscape don’t get that same benefit. Perfection is the requirement.
Objectively false though, that's the point. Perfection is not the requirement for any P5 program. Perfection locks it up barring some unprecedented situation where all five P5 champs are undefeated, but 1-loss still gives any team REALLY good odds, regardless of brands. We have seen small brands jump big state U (even the Big State U that jumped us that so many here retain their hate boner for) with 1 loss.

We we want to get in over an Ohio State team that had both a better record against a better schedule and an outright conference title, we needed to be undefeated yes, because we need to overcome their advantage in the tiebreakers. If the circumstances were a year later and we were 11-1 up against a 11-2 Conference Champ (Stanford), we would have been in. Same thing if we were 11-1 in 2017 and going against 11-2 Ohio State (I know we had the CCG in 2017 and would have DEFINITELY get in, but I'm trying to say 11-1 would have gotten in too). We got left out that one year because of how we stacked up against two other teams, one of which had the same record and beat us, the other where we had a worse record against a worse schedule (we lost to the only ranked team we played before the bowl). That's why we got left out, not their logo. Fact.

You wanna argue for a different playoff model that includes auto bids creates a more objective criteria? I'm fine with that, and every system has its positives and negatives that we can discuss. I just don't buy the tinfoil nonsense that there's a conspiracy against non brand schools**. It flies in the face of evidence.

**By that I mean P5 schools of course. There absolutely IS a conspiracy to keep G5 teams out.

netty2424

Objectively false though, that's the point. Perfection is not the requirement for any P5 program. Perfection locks it up barring some unprecedented situation where all five P5 champs are undefeated, but 1-loss still gives any team REALLY good odds, regardless of brands. We have seen small brands jump big state U (even the Big State U that jumped us that so many here retain their hate boner for) with 1 loss.

We we want to get in over an Ohio State team that had both a better record against a better schedule and an outright conference title, we needed to be undefeated yes, because we need to overcome their advantage in the tiebreakers. If the circumstances were a year later and we were 11-1 up against a 11-2 Conference Champ (Stanford), we would have been in. Same thing if we were 11-1 in 2017 and going against 11-2 Ohio State (I know we had the CCG in 2017 and would have DEFINITELY get in, but I'm trying to say 11-1 would have gotten in too). We got left out that one year because of how we stacked up against two other teams, one of which had the same record and beat us, the other where we had a worse record against a worse schedule (we lost to the only ranked team we played before the bowl). That's why we got left out, not their logo. Fact.

You wanna argue for a different playoff model that includes auto bids creates a more objective criteria? I'm fine with that, and every system has its positives and negatives that we can discuss. I just don't buy the tinfoil nonsense that there's a conspiracy against non brand schools**. It flies in the face of evidence.

**By that I mean P5 schools of course. There absolutely IS a conspiracy to keep G5 teams out.
I simply don’t agree and quite frankly disappointed in myself for engaging in this topic that’s been beat to death so many times.

TV networks love money. Brands make them money. It’s not tinfoil anything. It’s simple math, simple business.