• The KillerFrogs

Former Houston OL alleges Dana Holgorsen asked seniors to redshirt after 1-3 start

LVH

I side with the players here, its tanking and its not a good thing.

It wont work out first of all. Second of all you are throwing your seniors under the bus. There is no next year for them.

All its doing is sending a message its OK to quit when the going gets tough. Its installing a "quitting is OK" mentality in the program that will have lasting ripple effects.

FrogCoach84

Dana asking multiple seniors to redshirt is 100% true.

Close friends with family of a current Coog and he confirmed that this was known fact on the team.

A coach using the redshirt rule to try and stack a team was inevitable. Will see how it plays out in Houston. Guessing it’s not a needle mover until one of the big boys does it.

netty2424

It wont work out first of all. Second of all you are throwing your seniors under the bus. There is no next year for them.

All its doing is sending a message its OK to quit when the going gets tough. Its installing a "quitting is OK" mentality in the program that will have lasting ripple effects.
Don’t necessarily disagree with the post. But will say, this could become an epidemic in college football with the way the playoffs are designed.

Unless you’re Bama, tOSU, OU, and/or Clemson, 1 regular season loss is catastrophic and pretty much renders the regular season useless.

Another reason the playoffs should be expanded, imo.

Froggish

Every decent G5 team is already trying to stack their rosters with P5 cast aways. It was only a matter of time before teams started using the RS rule to stack up talent.

Go look at the rosters of UCF, SMU, Houston, Boise, Sand Diego St, and Wyoming and you’ll see they are all littered with former P5 kids sitting out and waiting to revive their careers.

It may be a risk to a P5 team to commit schollys this way but for a G5 it’s an easy way to increase your athleticism and talent..Hardly any risk at all when the at your best you are going to recruit at about 60-75

Wexahu

Every decent G5 team is already trying to stack their rosters with P5 cast aways. It was only a matter of time before teams started using the RS rule to stack up talent.

Go look at the rosters of UCF, SMU, Houston, Boise, Sand Diego St, and Wyoming and you’ll see they are all littered with former P5 kids sitting out and waiting to revive their careers.

It may be a risk to a P5 team to commit schollys this way but for a G5 it’s an easy way to increase your athleticism and talent..Hardly any risk at all when the at your best you are going to recruit at about 60-75

Only helps the Have’s that much more. They’ll start poaching the really good players from the G5 teams (they already have) and encourage their lesser players to transfer out so they have less dead weight. Basically allows more players to be recruited every year which will always help the higher profile teams.

Froggish

Only helps the Have’s that much more. They’ll start poaching the really good players from the G5 teams (they already have) and encourage their lesser players to transfer out so they have less dead weight. Basically allows more players to be recruited every year which will always help the higher profile teams.

Free Agency without the money...But the money is coming

FrogAbroad

Dana asking multiple seniors to redshirt is 100% true.

Close friends with family of a current Coog and he confirmed that this was known fact on the team.

A coach using the redshirt rule to try and stack a team was inevitable. Will see how it plays out in Houston. Guessing it’s not a needle mover until one of the big boys does it.
If Saban did this it would be called "a genius strategem."

NORMLFROG

I'm not sure if it will work or not but I don't think it sends a message of quitting is OK. Hell, Coach Wacker did this very thing my freshman year in 1986. D. Spradlin, K. Tramel, F. Terrell and F. Hawkins all redshirted in 1986. While our 1987 team did finish 5-6 our team was salty.....our Defense was definitely better for it. That season was damn close to being a breakout.

The difference, I think, between then and now is that now there is much less patience. With the money and investment you want an immediate return. The only folks who need to be ok with this are the guys on the team, the staff and their powers that be. Just my two cents.

NF

Casey T

Don’t necessarily disagree with the post. But will say, this could become an epidemic in college football with the way the playoffs are designed.

Unless you’re Bama, tOSU, OU, and/or Clemson, 1 regular season loss is catastrophic and pretty much renders the regular season useless.

Another reason the playoffs should be expanded, imo.

Teams who have gotten in with 1 loss also include Michigan state, Washington, and Oregon. None of which are any more blue blood than TCU

netty2424

Teams who have gotten in with 1 loss also include Michigan state, Washington, and Oregon. None of which are any more blue blood than TCU
And Ohio State has had one loss on two different occasions and didn’t get in.
giphy.gif