• The KillerFrogs

Briles at it again

HFrog12

i posted the background story on the other thread about briles, but an overview.

two brothers moved in from loveland, co, one is the starting quarterback, they are rumored to be living with former baylor receiver lynx hawthorne who is in mt vernon doing a documentary about briles.

the link between hawthorne and the brothers is his wife is from loveland, co.

I haven’t really cared to read into this story but if everything you are saying is true then damn that smells bad.

DickBumpastache

i posted the background story on the other thread about briles, but an overview.

two brothers moved in from loveland, co, one is the starting quarterback, they are rumored to be living with former baylor receiver lynx hawthorne who is in mt vernon doing a documentary about briles.

Hawthorne is also the aforementioned “assistant coach”. That is what will put this over the top and cause the UIL to come down on them.

Horny 4 Life

There are “coaches” all over Texas high school sports who aren’t full time employees. Sometimes they are substitute teachers and sometimes they volunteer their time. Happens all over the place and in many sports.

I know when I moved back to Texas (about a decade ago) I contacted several football coaches I had met at coaching clinics about serving as a volunteer coach. Each and every one of them said they would love to have me, but it was a non-starter because UIL rules forbade such a thing. They all stated that I needed to be a full-time employee. So, apparently, some coaches are willing to follow the rule. Of course, Art thinks he's above such things.

Mean Purple

As pointed out in the other thread, this info Eight is mentioning sure makes it look like a typical effort by Briles to cheat.

Keep in mind, in the Sept vote, 3 of the 6 abstained.

TheFDN

There are “coaches” all over Texas high school sports who aren’t full time employees. Sometimes they are substitute teachers and sometimes they volunteer their time. Happens all over the place and in many sports.

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but coaches must be full time employees of the school district in UIL....that means the custodian, if a full time employee, can be the head basketball coach. I believe a school in East Texas just did this very thing. The only exception are retired coaches/teachers with a certain number of years can serve as assistant coaches to the major sports, and be a head coach in the minor sports. Student teachers can assist as well.

Private schools play by their own rules.

ftwfrog

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but coaches must be full time employees of the school district in UIL....that means the custodian, if a full time employee, can be the head basketball coach. I believe a school in East Texas just did this very thing. The only exception are retired coaches/teachers with a certain number of years can serve as assistant coaches to the major sports, and be a head coach in the minor sports. Student teachers can assist as well.

Private schools play by their own rules.
On the surface, I really don’t like this rule. Example, Principal Jones needs a 10th grade English teacher, but also a JV basketball coach. She will hire the person that wants to truly coach before the person who truly wants to teach. So the new “full-time” employee spends more time focusing on their job that pays a $1400 stipend, rather than their job that pays $50,000 a year that impacts more students.

All that said, scheiss Briles.

HFrog1999

Of course he’s cheating, it’s Texas High School Football, if you ain’t cheating, you ain’t winning

Are there any new doctors in town who just happen to be aquatinted with Briles?

Eight

Hawthorne is also the aforementioned “assistant coach”. That is what will put this over the top and cause the UIL to come down on them.

i heard that this morning as well as mention that hawthorne did something similar in high school when lynx moved from weimar to refugio.

also was told something about the brothers living in an rv park in the mount vernon school districit boundaries.

so from what i have been told you have a former baylor player who is working with the mt vernon program, but is supposedly making a documentary about briles.

two brothers from the home town of the documentary maker's wife move in, the only real connection they have to the area is that they are the nephews by marriage of the "documentary film maker" and supposedly are living in an rv park.

granted, when our kids were going to high school in the klein district whomever won district in baseball was dependent upon whether meador or smith had a better recruiting class and instead of rv parks the fake address of choice were the apartments by klein and collins, but neither of those guys had a freaking target on their back like art and they were at least a bit subtle.

this almost reminds me of when the kid from oklahoma was going to move to south lake to play quarterback and the uil ruled him ineligible.

HFrog1999

I do think the rule against players moving for athletic reasons is silly. It’s definitely selectively enforced. Parents change districts for all sorts of reasons. I think it’s silly to make athletics the only unacceptable reason.

Eight

On the surface, I really don’t like this rule. Example, Principal Jones needs a 10th grade English teacher, but also a JV basketball coach. She will hire the person that wants to truly coach before the person who truly wants to teach. So the new “full-time” employee spends more time focusing on their job that pays a $1400 stipend, rather than their job that pays $50,000 a year that impacts more students.

All that said, scheiss Briles.

key here is they would still be hiring a person who is certified to teach english and not someone who isn't certified.

we encountered a few teachers who basically were going through the motions as long as they didn't do something incredibly stupid they were going to keep that job and i am not talking about coaches. no different than people i have encountered in the private work sector who are basically hiding in plain site doing just enough work to keep from getting fired.

in texas coaches are required to be teachers and in all honesty the best coaches are those who can teach and apply those principles in their various sports.

Eight

I do think the rule against players moving for athletic reasons is silly. It’s definitely selectively enforced. Parents change districts for all sorts of reasons. I think it’s silly to make athletics the only unacceptable reason.

my favorite this year is the case of demond demas.

he moved from the north forest [ Finebaum ]hole district to tomball for his senior season. coaches at north forest wouldn't sign the release and demas was ruled ineligible as it was determined he moved for athletic reason.

yes, the athletic facilities at tomball high are much better than north forest, but as big a jump as that is it pails in comparison to the jump academically as well as quality of life getting out of that part of houston.

so a kid who moves out of one of the worst areas in houston and hands down the worst school district in houston is ruled ineligible for moving for athletic reasons.

he said he wouldn't go back to north forest and is working out getting ready to go to atm next year.