• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU’s Patterson is ‘not OK’ with growing pains of young QB. So how will the Frogs adjust?

Mean Purple

I get the feeling GP would rather take his chances in a low-scoring game than a shootout. Whether it’s his comfort or pride or both... that seems to be the case here.

I believe he would rather win a game 20-17 than 52-45
A lot of what he does is because of the league. He wants more points. He has said that multiple times this year. His interview on SXM ESPNU radio spelled it out well earlier this year.
He says, because of the high powered offenses in the Big 12, you have to play defense with an offensive mentality. (Be aggressive). If you just try and keep it close, the next thing you know you are way behind. So you have to get after it on defense and you offense has to score. (Summarizing his comments from what I remember). Basically, the defense can't take plays off. Offense has to keep pace scoring.

Obviously, you can't have calls where you get away from the obvious answer on 3rd and 1 and kill a drive. Or have a young qb throwing when backed up near your own goal line, when you should be focused on some runs and getting out of their safely with a punt.

Wexahu

A lot of what he does is because of the league. He wants more points. He has said that multiple times this year. His interview on SXM ESPNU radio spelled it out well earlier this year.
He says, because of the high powered offenses in the Big 12, you have to play defense with an offensive mentality. (Be aggressive). If you just try and keep it close, the next thing you know you are way behind. So you have to get after it on defense and you offense has to score. (Summarizing his comments from what I remember). Basically, the defense can't take plays off. Offense has to keep pace scoring.

Obviously, you can't have calls where you get away from the obvious answer on 3rd and 1 and kill a drive. Or have a young qb throwing when backed up near your own goal line, when you should be focused on some runs and getting out of their safely with a punt.

How about playing offense with an attacking, aggressive mentality? What I saw on most of the first half drives Saturday was anything but that. Not in the play calling, not in the tempo (and I don't necessarily mean just run "hurry-up", I mean have a purpose about what you are doing and don't waste time), and definitely not in the body language. Hell, both sides of the ball we totally failed in that area.

Eight

gary knows what he wants to do defensively, the irony though is that he plays aggressively on the defensive end regardless of the age or ability of the players on the defense.

there are multiple examples over the years of gary throwing a young defender into the mix and it is sink or swim.

flip that to the offense however and we can see where it is just the opposite. that the offense basically goes into a shell trying to protect a young player at times by avoiding throws between the hashes, burning time on the play clock, etc..

When will he fire Cumby then?

TCUWIN

I get the feeling GP would rather take his chances in a low-scoring game than a shootout. Whether it’s his comfort or pride or both... that seems to be the case here.

I believe he would rather win a game 20-17 than 52-45
I believe you are right, but he better start getting the defense ready to play. Right now I don’t think we can win a shootout or a defensive battle. I think the days of low scoring defensive games are gone.

HG73

Max has to bear his share of this. How many fumbles? How many lost? Basic ball protection, QB 101. Eliminate all those fumbles and we're undefeated.

Wexahu

Max has to bear his share of this. How many fumbles? How many lost? Basic ball protection, QB 101. Eliminate all those fumbles and we're undefeated.

No we wouldn’t be. We weren’t beating Iowa State no matter what. Can’t pin that loss on one fumble.