• The KillerFrogs

Apathy beginning to set in

Limey Frog

giphy.gif

Gallows humor.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
He hasn't lost me-- I'll suffer with the bad and remember all the great things, like I've done for 80 plus years.
I also think I will stay a Frog fan-- if that makes me a fool, so be it. Am I happy? No, but I've seen worse, and this is a picnic.
A lot of you will do the same, because if you give up, you have no chance of winning. Go Frogs, 7 games to go, and get better.

Been through too many really bad times as a TCU fan to turn fickle. I sat in the snow when UT was running it by 58 in the early 70s and have seen us reach heights I never imagined I would ever see. We haven’t finished 3-9 yet, so people need to just relax. Having said that, no coach and no program has ever or can be expected to not peak out at some point. Things run in cycles. Darrell Royal burned out, USC, Florida State, Penn State, an OSU, Michigan, all of them have peaked and taken their dives too.

Deep Purple

As to GMFP, take a look around campus. See all those new buildings? That nice new Stadium? None of that happens without him.
This is going to come as a shock to you and others, but a lot of the people who gave the hundreds of millions to build those buildings care little about TCU football, have rarely if ever attended a game, and about half aren't even TCU alumni. They gave their millions out of other motives. A great many were more altruistic than who wins a football game.

When it comes to Amon Carter Stadium, Schollmaier Arena, Lupton Field, and the Justin Center, that's different. Those donors do care about TCU athletics -- but then, many of them are not only alumni, but former lettermen.

But venture outside of athletic facilities, and that just isn't the case. Gary Patterson had little or nothing to do with the money that built Leibrock Village, Smith Hall, the Tucker Technology Center, Rees-Jones Hall, the Hayes Business Commons, the Fine Arts Building, the TCU Music Center, the Walsh Center for Performing Arts, Palko Education Hall, the Tom Brown/Pete Wright Residential Complex, Scharbauer Liberal Arts Hall, the TCU Recreation Center, the Mary Wright Admission Center, etc, etc, etc.

I have great respect for Gary Patterson and want him at TCU until he chooses to retire. But good gawd, some of you act like he created the universe in six days.

tcudoc

This is going to come as a shock to you and others, but a lot of the people who gave the hundreds of millions to build those buildings care little about TCU football, have rarely if ever attended a game, and about half aren't even TCU alumni. They gave their millions out of other motives. A great many were more altruistic than who wins a football game.

When it comes to Amon Carter Stadium, Schollmaier Arena, Lupton Field, and the Justin Center, that's different. Those donors do care about TCU athletics -- but then, many of them are not only alumni, but former lettermen.

But venture outside of athletic facilities, and that just isn't the case. Gary Patterson had little or nothing to do with the money that built Leibrock Village, Smith Hall, the Tucker Technology Center, Rees-Jones Hall, the Hayes Business Commons, the Fine Arts Building, the TCU Music Center, the Walsh Center for Performing Arts, Palko Education Hall, the Tom Brown/Pete Wright Residential Complex, Scharbauer Liberal Arts Hall, the TCU Recreation Center, the Mary Wright Admission Center, etc, etc, etc.

I have great respect for Gary Patterson and want him at TCU until he chooses to retire. But good gawd, some of you act like he created the universe in six days.
Not a shock at all. In fact, everything you have stated seems to be an obvious conclusion.

Paint It Purple

A strong and reasoned case could be made that you are only half-right.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

Lordy, you can be a pedantic toad when the mood strikes you...

20 years, Deep. 20 years. Not six days. The last 10 years alone have seen pretty much the entire Campus rebuilt. Was GMFP out there troweling mortar and laying each brick with precision? Nope. Did the Renaissance of Football start a lot of the profligate altruism that resulted in a renewed campus? I would surmise that it had at least a hand in it. The flood of money began at some point, and the folks soliciting donations are always helped by being able to say, "Well, so-and-so donated 40-bazillion dollars to build this, and this other sweet old widow donated 60-bazillion to build this! Can you help, too?" Doesn't matter if it's Dick Lowe closing a big money deal and tossing a few dollars TCU's way to build a bank of luxury boxes, or somebody else deciding that they liked the type of grass that's greener down on the field of Amon G. Carter Stadium. One big donor begats another. They're like geese...

That kind of flood doesn't just happen in a vacuum.

Deep Purple

Lordy, you can be a pedantic toad when the mood strikes you...
Pot, meet kettle.

That kind of flood doesn't just happen in a vacuum.
It didn't. The vacuum was filled when Chancellor Tucker, who didn't like to spend money and wanted everything to go into endowment, retired and was replaced by Chancellor Ferrari, who took a look around and said, "Everything here is at least 20 years out of date. We're going to have to spend some money."

That was before TCU hired Patterson and 3 years before Patterson became head coach. TCU projects for which the money was raised before Patterson came to TCU or before he ascended to head coach:
  • Dee J. Kelly Alumni & Visitors Center
  • Abell-Hanger House
  • Beasley House
  • Britain Hall
  • Fish Hall
  • Mabee Hall
  • Walker Hall
  • Mullins Hall
  • Tom Brown / Pete Wright Commons
  • Walsh Center for Performing Arts
  • Justin Athletics Center
  • Lowdin Track & Field Complex
  • Garvey-Rosenthal Soccer Stadium
  • Jane Justin Field House
  • Graduate Housing Complex C-1
  • Graduate Housing Complex C-2
  • Graduate Housing Complex C-3
  • Graduate Housing Complex C-4
  • Moore House
  • Tucker Technology Center
There are likely a few more that I'm missing. And no, you're wrong, the campus hasn't been rebuilt in the last 10 years. The rebuilding has been going on the for nearly 25 years and we've raised and spent more than a billion bucks doing it.

I know because I was here through it all and raised external money for virtually all of those projects.

Deep Purple

Why weren’t these non football interested donors giving 25 years ago?
Because fundraising wasn't a strategic priority back then, so many weren't asked. Then in 1998 one Chancellor retired and a new one took office who had a vision for revitalizing the entire campus. That immediately elevated the urgency and importance of fundraising.

We've been engaged in campus restructuring for the past 22+ years, have spent more than $1 billion on it, and the job is almost finished. In fact, when the current round of construction is complete, TCU will take a 5-year moratorium on new capital projects to focus more on scholarships and endowments.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I know because I was here through it all and raised external money for virtually all of those projects.

Perhaps you're forgetting that I am aware of this, in that I have been around here (FFF) during this time just as you have. No, I wasn't squiring around prospective donors, but I was donating to the University and receiving various pitches both written and verbal from University persons regarding larger donations. I also am aware that 1997 was an awful nadir for TCU Football, while 1998 was a rebirth of sorts. The Sun Bowl win was a big deal, IIRC...

If Football prowess hasn't a damned thing to do with fundraising, why doesn't TCU just fold up Athletics altogether? Hell, most of the sports operate at a ghastly loss every year anyway. Just toss them in the roundfile and move on, because the money will just keep on flowing in. After all, no one cares about sports.