• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU’s Patterson is ‘not OK’ with growing pains of young QB. So how will the Frogs adjust?

Wexahu

About the only one who seems to reliably know what he is doing is #6. He is a beast.

And through 5 games he has 70 carries, while Sewo has 48. That ratio alone ought to be enough to make anyone worry about the competence of the coaching staff. If we are going to run the ball as much as we pass, #6 needs to be getting at minimum 20 carries per game. At minimum.

Anyone who thinks he and #33 are even remotely comparable is blind. Don't care is #6 struggles in pass protection, just hand the ball off to him and you don't have to worry about that.

y2kFrog

If you told me before the season started that Ross and Reagor would be back for their senior year, I'd have been shocked. I have no idea how the rest of the year is going to play out, and I wish nothing but the absolute best for them both- they seems like awesome kids... but I won't be shocked at this point if they feel like they have to return hoping to improve their draft stock. Never would have seen that coming.
We have all these studs all over the field, and they just look lost. About the only one who seems to reliably know what he is doing is #6. He is a beast.

Blacklock is not surprising coming off an achilles. I have no idea what he will do, but he will be in much better shape next year.

Tumbleweed

Pretty sure there is good reason to pile on the defense, because this isn’t only about last Saturday’s performance. Seems to me like the only person that doesn’t trust his true freshman QB is Coach P.

Moose is right, Max had a good game statistically. Yeah, he could start the games better, but it looks an awful lot like he’s running the plays as they are called, and doing it under the slower tempo decided on before the game.

Remember when Andy came up. Patterson in those days, don't throw interceptions, make sure the receiver is ready and your technique is correct. I understand that, but when you stand back there 4-5-6- seconds, ready for everything to fall into place the defense reads your eyes and that gives the entire defense time to read your social security card. It's good and bad! Why not practice the procedure over and over again until you don't have wait, hope and hunt? Break away from timed practice sequences once in a while and be flexible.

Mean Purple

Because the head coach wants to run a slow, ball-control offense. The 82-27 days are long gone.
Could be a whole other reason.
Tempo is great and all, but if you can't check the progressions, you can get clipped bad by a big defensive line that can crash in and free the Sam or Will or even DE to play off.
So maybe they want to make sure that Max can solidy walk before he can run, in a passing manner so to speak. It was the same with Boykin, they had to slow it down some.

That said, if you leave Hunt and JR in there, and quit changing personel so much, that gives Max some comfort on great targets, and tempo while up, can still be managable. And you can still have ball control. Heck, by next year, Sonny could probably have the kid running tempo/RPO with ease. Which is what I am starting to (total guess here) think maybe they are trying to get him on top of. Because the Frogs seem to be fighting against an air raid, which would be easy for them. But you gotta running back that you need to run protect for. It's a split situation.

We loss some stars from last year. Others were injured. But some players have been in the system enough to know it, so there was no excuse for some stuff on Saturday.

This might be a multi year process, unfortunately. Max has already grown some, so maybe it is getting better. There were so many things that went wrong at ISU. DA having his hand cut and out for the first 3 or so drives, also impacting his ability to block. Not picking up QB power runs out of the TE set until way late in the game. Then DBs giving up on plays after they got rubbed into each other's path from Post/Wheel and other combos. I'm sure their td on the left side where 6 just stalled and, i guess, assumed someone was behind him for the tackle, will come up in the film room in a very direct manner.

We know we can pass the ball. If it has to be tempo, let's do it and fix some other items.

Mean Purple

I think I am gonna take Cordel's view. Focus on the long haul.

“Max is doing a great job in my opinion,” Iwuagwu said. “He’s still growing. He’s still a freshman. But right now as a starting quarterback we need him to play like that. He will keep growing.

“We have all the faith in him to do that.”

Eight

If you told me before the season started that Ross and Reagor would be back for their senior year, I'd have been shocked. I have no idea how the rest of the year is going to play out, and I wish nothing but the absolute best for them both- they seems like awesome kids... but I won't be shocked at this point if they feel like they have to return hoping to improve their draft stock. Never would have seen that coming.
We have all these studs all over the field, and they just look lost. About the only one who seems to reliably know what he is doing is #6. He is a beast.

why do you keep saying the frogs have studs all over the field when that just isn't true

who are the studs at defensive end? i don't mean comparable to ben and lj, i mean are capable of making plays?

who are the studs at linebacker? wallow is good, but not great yet and there is no consistency from the other backer.

bronco

QB has been a big question mark since 2016. Every one has looked the same. It ain't the QB. Lots of ugly clones of one another. The encouraging thing is Duggan has shown great signs. Other QB's at this point under Cumbie have thrown a ton of interceptions.

Looking at Cumbie we had a wasted year with Kenny Hill. A wasted year with Robinson and now we are starting over again. Duggan shows signs but the slow starts are a killer (and some of that is play calling). He has had three guys to show whether or not he can develop a quarterback. I hope we find out he can.

Mean Purple

why do you keep saying the frogs have studs all over the field when that just isn't true

who are the studs at defensive end? i don't mean comparable to ben and lj, i mean are capable of making plays?

who are the studs at linebacker? wallow is good, but not great yet and there is no consistency from the other backer.
yeah, we knew LB and DE would be an issue. Major lack of experience.

Mean Purple

Looking at Cumbie we had a wasted year with Kenny Hill. A wasted year with Robinson and now we are starting over again. Duggan shows signs but the slow starts are a killer (and some of that is play calling). He has had three guys to show whether or not he can develop a quarterback. I hope we find out he can.
i would not say he wasted a year with KH. Kenny played really solid in his second year of running the offense. And his first year, was after a year and a half of not playing ball.

AroundWorldFrog

They gone. Guarantee it.

CountryFrog

Everybody is piling on the defense, and yes Saturday’s performance was not good, but I still think the number one issue facing this team is the question mark at QB. If you don’t have a QB you can trust, you have a chance to lose every game no matter how lights out the D is.
In general what you're saying is true. As it applies to TCU, however, it doesn't really apply because the defense hasn't been anything in the vicinity of lights out in the two losses. And it's not like the offense is being shutout. I know 24 isn't a ton of points but it's not bad on the road against a good defense. We've scored a total of 10 offensive points against ISU in the previous two seasons on offense.

It would be one thing if we lost 10-7 but it's totally inexcusable to have your defense, which is supposed to be your strength, get torched for 4 quarters by just an ok offense. We're used to seeing OU go up and down the field on us but at least they are an elite offense. This crap can't be happening against Iowa St.

helcap

In general what you're saying is true. As it applies to TCU, however, it doesn't really apply because the defense hasn't been anything in the vicinity of lights out in the two losses. And it's not like the offense is being shutout. I know 24 isn't a ton of points but it's not bad on the road against a good defense. We've scored a total of 10 offensive points against ISU in the previous two seasons on offense.

It would be one thing if we lost 10-7 but it's totally inexcusable to have your defense, which is supposed to be your strength, get torched for 4 quarters by just an ok offense. We're used to seeing OU go up and down the field on us but at least they are an elite offense. This crap can't be happening against Iowa St.
If you had told me before the game that we would score 24 pts I would have thought we would have a 50/50 chance to win. Same as SMU, we score 38 pts and everyone talks about how the Offense is bad

BABYFACE

On defense, TCU is the most athletic they have ever been. They still have to execute. Which the lack of execution seems to be the problem. They got to make plays.

Sometimes coaches can get caught up in athletic ability and not making sure the kid makes plays in HS. Got to have FB instinct first. If one doesn’t, then one ends up with adage; “Look like Tarzan, hit like Jane.”

Billy Clyde

Looking at a quick glance at the roster, I can identify TWELVE players who should have a legitimate chance to be drafted- THIS YEAR. At least FIVE guys who are in my mind no-doubters, who will be gone by the third or fourth round. And that DOESN'T include the many outstanding underclassmen who will be eventually drafted, other than Ross and Reagor.

Even if I wind up being wrong on the whether some of the less-likely prospects get drafted, TCU will have a [ Finebaum ]load of players in NFL camps this spring. I don't see how there is even any argument about that.

You can always identify areas of perceived weakness and harp on that, but that wasn't my point. My point is that in the Gary Patterson era at TCU, we have never had a roster this loaded with NFL-caliber talent. I made that point prior to the season, and nobody blinked.

If you are conflating, "all over the field," with "at every position without exception," you are trying too hard to create something I didn't say.

Instead of making lemonade, we are taking lemons and making a [ Finebaum ] sandwich.

Wexahu

If you had told me before the game that we would score 24 pts I would have thought we would have a 50/50 chance to win. Same as SMU, we score 38 pts and everyone talks about how the Offense is bad

Stats don't always tell the entire story. By and large most of the points and stats have been piled up after we were well behind, well behind in large part due to the offense's 1st half ineptness.

The offense is bad. Not saying the defense isn't, but the offense most definitely is bad.

LawFrog504

Anyone still want to try and argue that Cumbie is a QB whisperer? What a colosial waste of time that was last year. Good work folks

Wexahu

The defense has not been good....at all. But I for the life of me don't understand how you can watch this offense and think it is anything but bad. Good god, we completed ONE freaking pass in the entire first half against SMU. In the first half against ISU our offense scored -4 points.

CountryFrog

The defense has not been good....at all. But I for the life of me don't understand how you can watch this offense and think it is anything but bad. Good god, we completed ONE freaking pass in the entire first half against SMU. In the first half against ISU our offense scored -4 points.
Feel free to identify all the times that I've praised the offense this year and then get back with me.

LawFrog504

The culture of this program is so nauseating. We need outside thinking so desperately bad. Promoting former players who will forever be scared of GP is doing us no favors. Not sure why it's taken us this long to realize this.

Cut the damn cord on Cumbie already. Tulane gets this OC from effing Memphis and their offense is night and day better. Cumbie's QB history is as follows:
- All american talent and first round receiver in 14-15
- KH in 16- LOL
- KH in 17, better but still a major liability
- SR in 18- this was sonny's guy. he was on campus for 2 years, had every physical tool you could ask for. Kid plays 4 games and plays for Missouri now. Why our phone lines arent backed up every week crucifying SC and GP for this I will never know. Such utter bullcrap
- AD and MD in 18- neither is ready. Started with AD, he can't hit the side of a barn. Glad we said all summer that "every QB can throw the deep ball well." I mean that's just a blatant, flat out lie, no other way around it. He simply never has guys ready.

The big 12 defensively is just not hard to score on. It's deplorable where we are. Baylor as a program is way ahead of us. Glad we cashed in on 2014-2015 so well, nice work fellas. I would pay one of you a million dollars to go to railhead on thursday for the coaches show and ask GP how he can justify making $5 million annually and yet he can't have a competent QB in 2-3 years? While you're there, ask him why Ochaun Mathis was heralded as the next Von Miller before he ever did a thing. At least the rest of the defense strikes the fear of god into people.

Wexahu

Feel free to identify all the times that I've praised the offense this year and then get back with me.

In most posts I see from you it is implied that the offense hasn't been too bad, that they've played well enough that if the defense held up its end of the bargain we'd be winning these games.

The offense is just as much a reason we are losing as the defense. You can't be completely ineffective in first halves of games and expect to win games.