• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU’s Patterson is ‘not OK’ with growing pains of young QB. So how will the Frogs adjust?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU’s Patterson is ‘not OK’ with growing pains of young QB. So how will the Frogs adjust?

By Drew Davison

Growing pains are expected for any youth movement and TCU football finds itself in that situation at the quarterback position.

The Frogs are taking an all-in approach with true freshman Max Duggan. He went 1-for-10 in the first half of his starting debut against SMU last month, but the team stuck with him in the second half. Duggan played better, but TCU still had a disappointing 41-38 loss to the crosstown rival.

Duggan handled himself well in the Big 12 opener against Kansas, leading TCU to an impressive 51-14 victory, but then he struggled early on at Iowa State on Saturday.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article235857652.html#storylink=cpy

Moose Stuff

The crazy part of this damn article is that Max went 17-25 for 219 and 2 TD and has still yet to throw an INT this year. Yeah, he wasn’t good in the first half again but that’s a pretty solid overall performance. Maybe the article should be about Gary being unhappy with our play calling growing pains or how we can better prepare Max so he starts the games like he finishes them.

y2kFrog

Everybody is piling on the defense, and yes Saturday’s performance was not good, but I still think the number one issue facing this team is the question mark at QB. If you don’t have a QB you can trust, you have a chance to lose every game no matter how lights out the D is.

Chew

Everybody is piling on the defense, and yes Saturday’s performance was not good, but I still think the number one issue facing this team is the question mark at QB. If you don’t have a QB you can trust, you have a chance to lose every game no matter how lights out the D is.

Pretty sure there is good reason to pile on the defense, because this isn’t only about last Saturday’s performance. Seems to me like the only person that doesn’t trust his true freshman QB is Coach P.

Moose is right, Max had a good game statistically. Yeah, he could start the games better, but it looks an awful lot like he’s running the plays as they are called, and doing it under the slower tempo decided on before the game.

Pharm Frog

The crazy part of this damn article is that Max went 17-25 for 219 and 2 TD and has still yet to throw an INT this year. Yeah, he wasn’t good in the first half again but that’s a pretty solid overall performance. Maybe the article should be about Gary being unhappy with our play calling growing pains or how we can better prepare Max so he starts the games like he finishes them.

I can almost guarantee that he will throw a pick or two in the next start. Virtually inevitable when you have to read stuff that the HC is saying about you. He'll press. Why wouldn't he?

Pharm Frog

So much more interested in what Cumbie's take on the growing pains of the freshman QB are. Why wasn't he spokesperson for the interview? I see that it's his picture on the article but I don't pay to read that crap so maybe he was quoted.

Limp Lizard

QB has been a big question mark since 2016. Every one has looked the same. It ain't the QB. Lots of ugly clones of one another. The encouraging thing is Duggan has shown great signs. Other QB's at this point under Cumbie have thrown a ton of interceptions.

y2kFrog

QB has been a big question mark since 2016. Every one has looked the same. It ain't the QB. Lots of ugly clones of one another. The encouraging thing is Duggan has shown great signs. Other QB's at this point under Cumbie have thrown a ton of interceptions.

I agree, Cumbie’s ultimate downfall will be not developing QB’s. That’s what he was brought here to do and hasn’t. He was QB coach in name only at Tech as Kilffy was in charge. His results just aren’t good so far.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
1760036.gif

Billy Clyde

If you told me before the season started that Ross and Reagor would be back for their senior year, I'd have been shocked. I have no idea how the rest of the year is going to play out, and I wish nothing but the absolute best for them both- they seems like awesome kids... but I won't be shocked at this point if they feel like they have to return hoping to improve their draft stock. Never would have seen that coming.
We have all these studs all over the field, and they just look lost. About the only one who seems to reliably know what he is doing is #6. He is a beast.

Latest posts