• The KillerFrogs

Apathy beginning to set in

Billy Clyde

Pain. There’s the emotional and sociological pain when a fan’s team loses—We miss the opportunity to feel good about ourselves given our association with the team and university. There’s also economic pain: Ticket sales go down. Parking revenue and concession sales decline, as do Merchandise purchases. Fewer hotel bookings, less restaurant/bars sales, etc. ADs listen to this type of pain greatly, as money talks. Taken together, both types of pain ultimately lead to changes if the bleeding isn’t stopped.

Let’s hope Gary looks within, as he did a few years ago, and decides to make some major changes, including with his coaching personnel. Or the pain can lead to changes...

You left out the butt pain from getting rodgered by mediocre foosball squads.

Frogk

Apathy began when fans who had been loyal for 20 to 40 years were forced out of good seats they had patiently waited to acquire. These were the fans who had supported the team through various seasons of hope and disappointment no matter what. Most of the preferred seating was consumed by a few because they could, not because they needed them. I had 12 tickets for family for the first couple of years and used them faithfully. Then family activities and interest changed. I gave up 4 club seats due to the fact they were no longer appreciated and were taken for granted. I will give up another 4 season tickets this year for the same reason. I am positive there are others who are in the same situation but have not taken the initiative to surrender preferred seating no longer in use The cost of retaining these seats is not significant. and may never be available again due to the priority point system. Some sort program should be instituted to get the excess tickets back into the hands of those long term loyal fans to help overcome the apathy. Reclaim non used and resold seating then sell to individuals that wanted seating they earned from years of loyal fan participation. if they are still interested. This could help fill the preferred seats with purple not other fans. Thereby creating fan support concentrated behind the team and concentrated noise.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Pain. There’s the emotional and sociological pain when a fan’s team loses—We miss the opportunity to feel good about ourselves given our association with the team and university. There’s also economic pain: Ticket sales go down. Parking revenue and concession sales decline, as do Merchandise purchases. Fewer hotel bookings, less restaurant/bars sales, etc. ADs listen to this type of pain greatly, as money talks. Taken together, both types of pain ultimately lead to changes if the bleeding isn’t stopped.

Let’s hope Gary looks within, as he did a few years ago, and decides to make some major changes, including with his coaching personnel. Or the pain can lead to changes...
I don’t feel any more or less good about myself because of the results of a football game. I’d suggest to those that do take frog football that seriously should probably go ahead and not do that.

I won’t buy less tickets or merchandise either. I won’t sell my tickets to opposing fans. I won’t not show up to support the team.

In fact I will get better tickets thanks to fair weather fans. So thank you to everyone that can’t emotionally handle a loss.

Gringo1873

I don’t feel any more or less good about myself because of the results of a football game. I’d suggest to those that do take frog football that seriously should probably go ahead and not do that.

College football runs deep. It's more than a game. I feel terrible today, and truly sad.

Leap Frog

Well, he has certainly lost this fan board. This place is ridiculous.
He hasn't lost me-- I'll suffer with the bad and remember all the great things, like I've done for 80 plus years.
I also think I will stay a Frog fan-- if that makes me a fool, so be it. Am I happy? No, but I've seen worse, and this is a picnic.
A lot of you will do the same, because if you give up, you have no chance of winning. Go Frogs, 7 games to go, and get better.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I am reminded of the old joke about the politician...

Reporter to candidate: "Sir, what are your plans for dealing with ignorance and apathy concerning your campaign?"

Candidate to reporter: "I don't know, and I don't care."

As to GMFP, take a look around campus. See all those new buildings? That nice new Stadium? None of that happens without him. The man has done a mighty thing, in building the brand and carrying forward a lot of momentum. We are winners, and used to it. Many of us here can remember when just the opposite was true, and had been for roughly 25 years or so.Bill Koehler's choice was a wise one, and we have been living the Salad Days since.

The tendency in these sad times is to do something now, Now, NOW!!! Previous history be damned. Lose a couple of games? Over the side with him! That is craziness.

This season has certainly shown us that surprises happen, and sometimes those surprises are bad. Wretched. Ghastly. Can things be fixed? Well, things certainly looked worse last year. Saying that this year is an improvement is damning in and of itself, but it is. It ain't over yet. It could improve. (/Pollyanna)

GMFP runs his program as he should: His way. How he hires and fires are his own decisions, as they should be. Stubborn? Yep. Weak willed folks don't usually become successful. Neither do stupid ones.

Give the man his due.

Limey Frog

It occurred to me just now (upon seeing the latest work of whichever poor schmuck bears the presently thankless responsibility of posting positive social media content for the 2019 football Frogs regardless of actual on-field results/quality) that we may have misunderstood the #EarnTheChip tag line from the beginning.

Is TCU football trying to suck for multiple consecutive years on purpose so that everyone will write us off and laugh at us, then GP's crew could get that magic 1998-2010 mojo back? It's a risky strategy...

Or maybe we're just a poorly coach team that is more talented on paper than in reality, like Aggy.

netty2424

It occurred to me just now (upon seeing the latest work of whichever poor schmuck bears the presently thankless responsibility of posting positive social media content for the 2019 football Frogs regardless of actual on-field results/quality) that we may have misunderstood the #EarnTheChip tag line from the beginning.

Is TCU football trying to suck for multiple consecutive years on purpose so that everyone will write us off and laugh at us, then GP's crew could get that magic 1998-2010 mojo back? It's a risky strategy...

Or maybe we're just a poorly coach team that is more talented on paper than in reality, like Aggy.
giphy.gif

Limey Frog

As to GMFP, take a look around campus. See all those new buildings? That nice new Stadium? None of that happens without him...

Give the man his due.

No doubt about this; you're spot on. I spent the weekend with friends who cheer for various other teams, and we all went to a non-TCU football game together. In conversation after the Frogs' one of them praised GP's achievements in his time at TCU and I affirmed that he is, indeed, the only head-coach for TCU. It's his place in every sense, absolutely. Further, while his defense stinks this particular year, his track records gives me full confidence that his unit will be playing better by November than they are now (they always do), and he'll go back to the drawing board and improve for next year (he always has).

I'm just frustrated because I feel like we're wasting talent. Then it all comes back to GP's one tragic flaw: excessive-loyalty to his subordinates, and his apparent inability to develop underlings who are as good at coaching as he is. I suppose if he'd had ADs telling him whom/when to fire, he would have left long before now for a bigger job and we'd have been up poop creek again with no Big XII, stadium, Rose Bowl, etc. This year is just the pound of bitter that comes with the dram of sweet. But message boards are here to vent frustration by griping about it, aren't they?

Go Frogs.

Last edited:

Eight

this team is poorly coached in some areas, but it is also not nearly talented enough in a couple of key positions defensively and that is a bigger worry to me.

one can hope that there be divine intervention and going forward we see a true offensive identity that is expressed in a well thought out game plan that they stick with

some will laugh, but we saw it last year against oklahoma state.

that is more likely to happen in my mind that the dfensive short comings being fixed quickly.