• The KillerFrogs

Time for some changes

Time to make some changes. TCU should be head and shoulders better than Iowa State and Baylor.

Baylor just got out of trouble but look at what they are doing. Now look at TCU who supposedly is recruiting better than anyone but OU and UT.

TCU is as bad as after the drug bust. Its coaching and S&C.

Sometimes it's a good thing to make changes. I just see predictably right now on both sides of the ball.

LeagueCityFrog

I agree with something is really wrong here. I'm not putting all this on Gary, but man, he's got like a massive head start program wise ahead of everyone not named Oklahoma. UT has been in the toilet for a while now and is maybe emerging, Baylor just got self destroyed because of Briles, Tech fired their coach again, and we've been supposedly recruiting at a higher level the last 4 cycles.

What gives? What was hyped as maybe the best defense in the whole Gary Patterson era just gave up 7 touchdowns to lowly Iowa State. We caused ZERO turnovers and maybe had ZERO sacks again. I'm just dumbfounded by all of this after how much money we pay Coach P and how much money is pumped into TCU football every year.

Why are we constantly in need to "grow them up" because we are young. Where have all the "older" players gone? Doesn't he take like 20-26 players every year? To me it sounds like a built in excuse when they lose. And the insurance policy when we have a better season is that "we were an older team" is quoted to hedge against future poor seasons. Who cares, just win!

K-State just pushed Coach Snyder into retirement, we better not lose to the Wildcats in two weeks or to Texas at home the following. Texas is down to one running back and their defensive secondary has been destroyed. No more excuses, coach better, play harder. Go Frogs!

My 11-1 preseason prediction is now 7-5. Wins to come against KSU, UT, Baylor, and WVU. Damn... Come on Gary!

Also about recruiting it always boggles the mind of the lack of recruiting at defensive ends. Yes, they get players there. But with offensive line and defensive line you need to recruit a lot of players. It's like we get one good DL kid and then stop. That's the number we required. Their should never be a stopping point with OL or DL or you'll pass on some fantastic players. It is the most important positions on the field. Not having stud DEs to fill in for collier and Banogu after 4 years is just mindblowing. Having to get a SC transfer or Juco kid to fill in is just crazy.

Surfrog

IMO, The defensive staff room is too internal.

Glasgow: Coached at TCU until going to TT, got fired and came back with his tail tucked between his legs.

Gonzales: Baseball player turned Football GA, GAed at TCU. Internally promoted to coach.

Modkins: Played for Coach P, came back as a GA. Promoted Internally.

Fitch: Same path as Modkins.

Sharp: Coached since 89 at TCU, a short stint at Tulsa and came back. Until 2015, had been on the offensive side of the ball.

Coaches are too internal and won't question Coach P's decision making as they are either former GAs or coming back to TCU from another program.

Wexahu

Also about recruiting it always boggles the mind of the lack of recruiting at defensive ends. Yes, they get players there. But with offensive line and defensive line you need to recruit a lot of players. It's like we get one good DL kid and then stop. That's the number we required. Their should never be a stopping point with OL or DL or you'll pass on some fantastic players. It is the most important positions on the field. Not having stud DEs to fill in for collier and Banogu after 4 years is just mindblowing. Having to get a SC transfer or Juco kid to fill in is just crazy.

Don’t forget about LB. We are too damn small at that position. One guy goes down and we start bringing down safeties to fill in. Would NEVER work against the very best teams.

Tired of hearing about how fast our defense is too. Every team has fast players. Northern Iowa’s defense neutralized this team we played today and I doubt they would win a relay race against our team.

Eight

here is the break down of the frogs defensive end recruiting since 2015 to last year

breylin mitchell
tipa galeai

isaiah chambers
mat boesen
gary overshown
brandon bowen

dennis collins
michael epley

ochaun mathis

adam plant
colt ellison
earl barquet
parker workman
thomas armstrong

frogs signed 8 defensive ends between 2015-17 and only 3 of those saw regular time (tipa, boesen, and epley) and only 2 finished their careers at tcu (boesen and epley)

5 have left the program for a variety of reasons and bowen is still in the program, but can't stay healthy.

i have mentioned on this site the frogs have lost some ground in recruiting in the metroplex and houston area talking to some friends.

Eight

Don’t forget about LB. We are too damn small at that position. One guy goes down and we start bringing down safeties to fill in. Would NEVER work against the very best teams.

Tired of hearing about how fast our defense is too. Every team has fast players. Northern Iowa’s defense neutralized this team we played today and I doubt they would win a relay race against our team.

frogs are suffering from recruiting misses at linebacker and i still believe a big part was having a ga for a linebacker coach. yes, he played in the pros, yes he knows the postiion, he also couldn't recruit off campus.

they brought in multiple recruits this last class, but it seems like it takes forever for the linebackers to develop.

Billy Clyde

In the first half, with Duggan at qb, Sewo at RB and a manageable down & distance situation, I saw the Iowa St. LB cheating up on their right side. I knew they were in a run blitz. Sure enough, LB and (I think) a safety crashed on that side, and we handed off to Sewo running to his left, right into the teeth of the run blitz for about a 4-yard loss.

So I'm left to wonder: How is it that I, a jackwagon know-nothing armchair coach, can see this [ Finebaum ] happening before it happens, and Sonny and (by extension) Max can't, and we can't audible out of a play that I know is dead before it begins??? Coaching.

Wexahu

frogs are suffering from recruiting misses at linebacker and i still believe a big part was having a ga for a linebacker coach. yes, he played in the pros, yes he knows the postiion, he also couldn't recruit off campus.

they brought in multiple recruits this last class, but it seems like it takes forever for the linebackers to develop.

Another thing is if this defensive system is so difficult to learn, it might be time for a new system. It’s one thing to teach the system to kids you know will redshirt and stick around for 5 years, it’s another when you’re trying to recruit 4 star kids who aren’t going to have much patience.

Eight

In the first half, with Duggan at qb, Sewo at RB and a manageable down & distance situation, I saw the Iowa St. LB cheating up on their right side. I knew they were in a run blitz. Sure enough, LB and (I think) a safety crashed on that side, and we handed off to Sewo running to his left, right into the teeth of the run blitz for about a 4-yard loss.

So I'm left to wonder: How is it that I, a jackwagon know-nothing armchair coach, can see this [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] happening before it happens, and Sonny and (by extension) Max can't, and we can't audible out of a play that I know is dead before it begins??? Coaching.

that play had no chance as iowa state had more defenders in the box than tcu had players and ball carriers.

the formation really didn't help much as the receivers were set way the hell out to the edges of the field.

the question i have and don't have an answer is does duggan have the option in this offense to check to something else?

MagicFrog

I think we should be careful not to overreact. We don't have a QB and we have some issues on defense but we just played a very good team. Other than OU, UT, and ISU who were picked as the Top 3 in the conference I don't think we lose another game. We basically needed to outscore ISU today and right now we aren't a team built to outscore anyone.

We lost to the best SMU team in 35 years, easily the best since the death penalty. Of the teams other than OU and UT, Okie State proved today that they aren't very good, Baylor is fattening up on creampuffs, KSU hasn't played anyone of note (BU is the best, and we have no idea how good they are).

This isn't a great year by our standards but we finish 8-4 and go to a mid-tier bowl.

OmniscienceFrog

I think we should be careful not to overreact. We don't have a QB and we have some issues on defense but we just played a very good team. Other than OU, UT, and ISU who were picked as the Top 3 in the conference I don't think we lose another game. We basically needed to outscore ISU today and right now we aren't a team built to outscore anyone.

We lost to the best SMU team in 35 years, easily the best since the death penalty. Of the teams other than OU and UT, Okie State proved today that they aren't very good, Baylor is fattening up on creampuffs, KSU hasn't played anyone of note (BU is the best, and we have no idea how good they are).

This isn't a great year by our standards but we finish 8-4 and go to a mid-tier bowl.

Please, give me some of that magic fairy dust too. This program has some major problems.

Look I hope you are right. I like your optimism. But still think TCU needs to recruit DL and LB.

ImwithBU

well you sure didnt get fat on the Iowa State cream puff. Dont worry you will get your shot at the KState cream puff soon enough. I'll stop back by after that game

well you sure didnt get fat on the Iowa State cream puff. Dont worry you will get your shot at the KState cream puff soon enough. I'll stop back by after that game

He is right. But so is MagicFrog. TCU the way they have been recruiting shouldn't have a hard time with Iowa State or Kansas State, but TCU is. Baylor is playing above expectations and TCU is underachieving big time especially with the talent and experience TCU has on OLine and in its backfield. Gary has the ability to turn things around like he did last season beating Baylor with a fourth string QB, but he better figure things out quickly as TCU steps in the hard part of its schedule.

TCUWIN

I agree with something is really wrong here. I'm not putting all this on Gary, but man, he's got like a massive head start program wise ahead of everyone not named Oklahoma. UT has been in the toilet for a while now and is maybe emerging, Baylor just got self destroyed because of Briles, Tech fired their coach again, and we've been supposedly recruiting at a higher level the last 4 cycles.

What gives? What was hyped as maybe the best defense in the whole Gary Patterson era just gave up 7 touchdowns to lowly Iowa State. We caused ZERO turnovers and maybe had ZERO sacks again. I'm just dumbfounded by all of this after how much money we pay Coach P and how much money is pumped into TCU football every year.

Why are we constantly in need to "grow them up" because we are young. Where have all the "older" players gone? Doesn't he take like 20-26 players every year? To me it sounds like a built in excuse when they lose. And the insurance policy when we have a better season is that "we were an older team" is quoted to hedge against future poor seasons. Who cares, just win!

K-State just pushed Coach Snyder into retirement, we better not lose to the Wildcats in two weeks or to Texas at home the following. Texas is down to one running back and their defensive secondary has been destroyed. No more excuses, coach better, play harder. Go Frogs!

My 11-1 preseason prediction is now 7-5. Wins to come against KSU, UT, Baylor, and WVU. Damn... Come on Gary!
7-5?? I went from 10-2 to 3-9...may be 4-8. If the offensive coaching doesn’t change, what change can we expect besides a loss? ISU is a strong run defensive team but not a strong pass defense. We have a strong running game, but started the game by giving them ball to Sewo...when Anderson is obviously the better ball carrier. Just doesn’t make sense what Cumbie is thinking. And Delton comes in and throws it 5 times. Completes 4 for 2 yards. Why? Why not let Collins throw 5 times...against a weaker secondary? Incompetent!

TCUWIN

Where were you when we beat your cubs? Typical baylor fan.

TCU_91

I am really trying to be reasonable with where we're at but struggling.

I have lived in Nashvegas for over 10 years now (married to a UTk alumn).

I thought going into this weekend we might be on our patented way back up. The Vols have been having a dumpster fire. They LOST to GA St. (Who didn't even have a program 10 years ago).

Tonight they are taking GA #3 to the mat with a Freshman QB. But it's not just that. Watch the game and see how even this clown Pruitt they're ready to run out of Knoxville manages the game.

Offense has a plan. Nice time management. The defense know where to line up.

Once again we appear so unorganized, unpolished and a complete train wreck.

Did I mention, the stands didn't have enough purple in the seats?