• The KillerFrogs

My two favorite candidates for expansion had a great game

Limp Lizard

Last night, Cincy beat FSU in a great game. Cincy looked almost TCU-ish on defense several times. Good recruiting grounds to open up, plus they are East, not West. November games in Cincy will be cold, though.

Atomic Frawg

Proximity to the other schools in the league.
So, and this is a serious question, are we dismissing WVU? Their programs would have to travel two times zones, and not just football. UCF and USF have proximity and are in the same time zone. What of markets? Recruiting? Playing in the two time zones with the most TV and the most eyes? Arguably, the further west you go the less people care in the most populous parts of the country. Not trying to re-open a can of expansion worms, just trying to better understand your thought process on heading further west.

Eight

So, and this is a serious question, are we dismissing WVU? Their programs would have to travel two times zones, and not just football. UCF and USF have proximity and are in the same time zone. What of markets? Recruiting? Playing in the two time zones with the most TV and the most eyes? Arguably, the further west you go the less people care in the most populous parts of the country. Not trying to re-open a can of expansion worms, just trying to better understand your thought process on heading further west.

florida is an incredibly saturated market in terms of recruiting and media exposure.

you have great talent in arizonia and so cal which is being recruited by the top programs in the country.

additionally, it isn't about population in the state, but fan bases and the arizona schools have supported their programs when they won.

lowfrog

No, B12 should keep WVU and add CO, UT, and the two Arizona schools. WVU is a good school academically and athletically and is the B12's pipeline/connection to the east coast in many ways. Adding CO, UT, and the two Arizona schools gives you the entire west coast. Think of all the fans, alums, families with ties to these schools scattered across the west coast and, really, the nation. Get them all in one conference and create a B12 Network that is a media giant the other so-called media giants have to deal with and the B12 hands down becomes the largest, most powerful conference in the nation. Plus, WVU has the only rifle team in the nation that can compete with TCU's national championship rifle team and we want to keep that rivalry going.

Atomic Frawg

florida is an incredibly saturated market in terms of recruiting and media exposure.

you have great talent in arizonia and so cal which is being recruited by the top programs in the country.

additionally, it isn't about population in the state, but fan bases and the arizona schools have supported their programs when they won.
No, B12 should keep WVU and add CO, UT, and the two Arizona schools. WVU is a good school academically and athletically and is the B12's pipeline/connection to the east coast in many ways. Adding CO, UT, and the two Arizona schools gives you the entire west coast. Think of all the fans, alums, families with ties to these schools scattered across the west coast and, really, the nation. Get them all in one conference and create a B12 Network that is a media giant the other so-called media giants have to deal with and the B12 hands down becomes the largest, most powerful conference in the nation. Plus, WVU has the only rifle team in the nation that can compete with TCU's national championship rifle team and we want to keep that rivalry going.
Both these views are understandable. Money doesn't just come from population, it comes from a population interested enough in a program to follow it. But the fact is, nobody in the central and eastern time zones cares about football being played in the Rockies and beyond. That's just data, and that's why they are considering 9AM kickoffs in the PAC to try to garner interest. While Cali has had good recruiting, I haven't heard of AZ being a hotbed for recruiting...it's just hot.

Again, not trying to have another huge thread on realignment. Just trying to get some understanding on those of you who prefer the western schools. All of those fans and alums are already there, and no one cares. The only head coach I can name is Leach, and right now I can't even think of the dude's name at Stanford.

Atomic Frawg

Come to think of it, in all honesty, the big networks will likely have more say in realignment than the schools and the ADs. So I'm just gonna see what happens and hope for the best.

Moose Stuff

Both these views are understandable. Money doesn't just come from population, it comes from a population interested enough in a program to follow it. But the fact is, nobody in the central and eastern time zones cares about football being played in the Rockies and beyond. That's just data, and that's why they are considering 9AM kickoffs in the PAC to try to garner interest. While Cali has had good recruiting, I haven't heard of AZ being a hotbed for recruiting...it's just hot.

Again, not trying to have another huge thread on realignment. Just trying to get some understanding on those of you who prefer the western schools. All of those fans and alums are already there, and no one cares. The only head coach I can name is Leach, and right now I can't even think of the dude's name at Stanford.
How many people actually care about Cincy and UCF? I love college football and have less than ZERO interest in watching either play.

LeagueCityFrog

Would it be ironic if the Big XII in 2023 says they have just now finished concluding their investigation into the loss of institutional control at Baylor during the Briles era and then currently in 2023 announce the 9 other member institutions have voted them out and in comes Colorado, Arizona, and Arizona State. Ann Richards rolls over in her grave as Fort Worth cheers.