• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Tarleton State wants to be big time in athletics and will use the TCU model

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Tarleton State wants to be big time in athletics and will use the TCU model

By Big Steaming Pile

Immediately after announcing this week its intention to become a Division I athletic department, long-time Tarleton State athletic director Lonn Reisman’s phone erupted in calls and texts, including one from TCU.

The Horned Frogs would just love to host Tarleton State in a football game in 2021.

“For years I have had a hard time filling out schedules and I can’t get games; now I’ve got offers from all over,” Reisman said. “There are many teams we’ve had talks with. We’d like to have visibility in the Metroplex. We have a brand new campus in Fort Worth and it’s important we have that identity and visibility.”

He prefers not to specify exactly who is offering to play his soon-to-be DI program, but assume all of ‘em. Other teams need wins, and Reisman’s athletic department is going to need their money.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article235793507.html#storylink=cpy

Ron Swanson

Tarleton State wants to be big time in athletics and will use the TCU model

tenor.gif

4 Oaks Frog

It's out in the middle of nowhere adjacent to the Chisholm Trail Parkway
It won’t be the middle of nowhere long. A new bridge reconnecting the severed Old Granbury road (location of TSUFW) is in the works. Homes and businesses popping up all over out here. scheiss progress!
GO FROGS!
BEAT iowa lite!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!

ECoastFrog

TCU is so indebted to generous, and wealthy, alums and other donors. Does TSU have these resources? Just to have the $$$ to build D1 athletic facilities is a daunting thought, much less all the other expenses. TCU is blessed, that's for sure.

Deep Purple

TCU is so indebted to generous, and wealthy, alums and other donors. Does TSU have these resources? Just to have the $$$ to build D1 athletic facilities is a daunting thought, much less all the other expenses. TCU is blessed, that's for sure.
Yeah, I was thinking, "Do they have any idea how multi-faceted TCU's road to football reclamation was, and how much it cost?" It wasn't just a matter of hiring and paying a good coach. It was also careful timing, strategic moves among conferences, and hundreds of millions of dollars invested in facilities and scholarships. That is the "TCU model." Can Tarlton do that?

Somehow I suspect they are really attempting the "Texas Tech model" of several years ago. The Raiders hired Chad Glasgow to install the 4-2-5 defense at Tech and thought they could quickly get the same defensive results as TCU. They soon learned better. The 4-2-5 isn't just a formation, it's a read-and-react scheme that depends on lots of communication among players who have been carefully recruited and coached for their specific roles. Even when Patterson installed it at TCU in 1998, it took 3-4 years to get it right. Tech thought they could get there almost overnight by simply installing the formation and hiring a TCU defensive assistant.

I sorta half suspect that when Tarlton says they will follow the "TCU model," they are anticipating the same type of easy path to success without realizing how much time, effort, and treasure went into TCU's long, hard climb up the ladder.

Last edited:

ECoastFrog

Yeah, I was thinking, "Do they have any idea how multi-faceted TCU's road to football reclamation was, and how much it cost?" It wasn't just a matter of hiring and paying a good coach. It was also careful timing, strategic moves among conferences, and hundreds of millions of dollars invested in facilities and scholarships. That is the "TCU model." Can Tarlton do the that?

Somehow I suspect they are really attempting the "Texas Tech model" of several years ago. The Raiders hired Chad Glasgow to install the 4-2-5 defense at Tech and thought they could quickly get the same defensive results as TCU. They soon learned better. The 4-2-5 isn't just a formation, it's a read-and-react scheme that depends on lots of communication among players who have been carefully recruited and coached for their specific roles. Even when Patterson installed it at TCU in 1998, it took 3-4 years to get it right. Tech thought they could get there almost overnight by simply installing the formation and hiring a TCU defensive assistant.

I sorta half suspect that when Tarlton says they will follow the "TCU model," they are anticipating the same type of easy path to success without realizing how much time, effort, and treasure went into TCU's long, hard climb up the ladder.

It was 'a moment whose time had come' for TCU. It was not exactly luck, as many, many people have worked very hard...no doubt about that. But TCU's timing of those people, in that place, and at that time certainly was huge.

Salfrog

Tier 1
If they are going to use TCU as a model, then there are going to be alot of disappointed and angry loyal season ticket holders when they get moved from their current seats to the endzone and upper 4 corners of the stadium.

/sarcasm

Deep Purple

If they are going to use TCU as a model, then there are going to be alot of disappointed and angry loyal season ticket holders when they get moved from their current seats to the endzone and upper 4 corners of the stadium.
Beg to differ. If they're going to follow the TCU model, they'll first have to cultivate a lot of loyal season ticket holders that they can later disappoint and anger. They're not yet even that far advanced into the "TCU model."