• The KillerFrogs

AP: Iowa State looks to jump-start woeful running game vs TCU

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
AP: Iowa State looks to jump-start woeful running game vs TCU

AMES, Iowa (AP) – Iowa State began the season with five running backs and coach Matt Campbell hoping that one would step forward and prove he could be the No. 1 guy.

After four games, that hasn't happened. No one yet has given the team the production it needs from the position and as a result, the overall running game has been hit and miss.

Iowa State is ninth in the Big 12 in rushing yardage and last in rushing attempts, forcing the offense to rely heavily on the throwing of quarterback Brock Purdy. Discounting the yards Purdy has lost the six times he has been sacked, he would lead the team in rushing.

Read more at https://www.thescore.com/news/1846366

asleep003

Think they may have got spoiled with David Montgomery.... now they have to have a rushing game with out him. He made their OL look better than maybe it was in 2018.

Suspect we will see the best ISU effort to date... as if they lose this week, the season's prospects will look pretty dismal. So the Frogs better get off to a quick start..

Tom Brown

bucket

Froggish

If this game comes down to run game on run game, I like us on both offense and defense.

ISU will have to find something they haven’t had all year to run on this defense. My guess is both teams are going to have to take some chances downfield to loosen up the LOS

McFroggin

The weather forecast shows the likelihood of rain to be over 50% for the start of the game and over 40% later in the game. So who can run the ball may be crucial. Ball security will be big. Plus, hopefully the QBs and receivers are getting some practicing in with a wet ball this week.

Also, it looks Iowa State is 3.5 point favorite in Vegas right now. https://247sports.com/college/iowa-...on-Cyclones-favored-Big-12-matchup-136335108/

If it does rain a lot, Delton may be a good option at QB. Option run every play with few passes. Wear them down. Our OL is good and could handle it.

PO Frog

It will be a good test to see if they regress or continue to develop. You have to take games on the road so it will also show which players really are gamers and can be relied on later in the season.

Lol now we have meaningless GP cliches being repeated in earnest on the board. Grow em up do the things you gotta do

Wexahu

If it does rain a lot, Delton may be a good option at QB. Option run every play with few passes. Wear them down. Our OL is good and could handle it.

I doubt our OL is good enough to just run it every down on Iowa State and score many points. It's just too hard to do. One penalty and the drive is probably over. One missed block or play that just doesn't go right and you're in 2nd and long. I'll be interested to see what the reaction is going to be when we try and run the ball on 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 4 and don't make the first down. I imagine it will be "damn Cumbie, what a terrible call, they knew exactly what was coming, throw the damn ball!".

Our passing game is going to have to be respectable (or dare I say even better than average) to beat decent teams, whether it is raining or not.

Wexahu

It will be a good test to see if they regress or continue to develop. You have to take games on the road so it will also show which players really are gamers and can be relied on later in the season.

You have to take games at home just as often, they aren't just given to you as our home record over the years would seem to indicate.

Casey T

ISU could easily be 4-0. We will get their best punch. Come out ready from the beginning

Their OT game against the fcs team at home was a 50/50 toss up. In their game against Baylor, they were trailing 0-20 in the 4th quarter. I would not say they could easily be 4-0, they would have had to be extremely lucky to be 4-0.

That has nothing to do with how good we may or may not be