• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU athletic director ‘really nervous’ about California’s new Fair Pay to Play Act

HFrog12

at this point and time in all honesty exactly how much true competitive balance is there in college football?

if the ultimate goal is to win a title how many programs truly have a chance and how many schools have the resources to pour millions of dollars into their programs as the power programs continue to try to one up each other in regards to facilities, staff, money spent on recruiting etc......

the concept of competitive balance has become akin to the concept of amateur athletics......a great notion but in reality a fairy tale

Agree that it is tilted, but I also still believe there is a chance under the current model. I think every power 5 program has a chance albeit some extremely small.

TCU is pouring millions in because they truly believe there is a chance. Blacklock, Reagor, Justin Rogers aren't coming to TCU if they can make money off of their likeness elsewhere. Thus, the chance TCU has to win a title becomes smaller. Which in turn probably makes the university think twice about pouring money in. I go to TCU football games because even after a 7-6 season I still think there is a chance we could win it all. Ha, now I am just hoping for a big 12 title. Maybe that is naive but I think it's achievable under the current model.

Eight

I get the feeling you are trying to create an argument that isn't there. I just said that they wouldn't care as long as the majority of their counterparts are on the same level and if the NCAA stays strong to their position against this and potentially exclude the CA schools. UT is building their stadium to stay competitive with everyone you mentioned, not UCLA, USC, or Cal at this moment.

The CA schools are looking at this as a competitive advantage. IF this becomes a national deal and the CA schools remain in the NCAA then of course I agree that all of those big schools you mentioned aren't going to sit back and not push legislation in their own states. And if/when they do that then the CA competitive advantage goes out the window and it's back to bama, uga, ohio st. etc. running the show. People in alabama and texas just care more about college football than people in CA. Nothing changes except that glimmer of hope that other programs can remain competitive.

I don't pretend to know the mechanics and law about which one of these scenarios comes first. I just think the long term affect on colleges not named UT, bama, uga, ohio st...etc. is negative.

again, this isn't something the ncaa is going to be able to isolate or contain to the state of california as multiple other states have been to look at the california law as well as a north carolina us representative has met with ncaa officials and he is co-authoring federal legislation to allow the very same things across the country as allowed by the california law.

the ncaa was beaten in court by the power schools before, they have been beaten to the punch by california, and now possibly congress.

they had damn well get out in front of this or they run the risk of losing control of college football.

i can promise you there have been power behind the scene waiting for an opportunity to leverage more control from the ncaa and i would not be surprised to see someone such as del conte involved with such actions.

Wexahu

again, this isn't something the ncaa is going to be able to isolate or contain to the state of california as multiple other states have been to look at the california law as well as a north carolina us representative has met with ncaa officials and he is co-authoring federal legislation to allow the very same things across the country as allowed by the california law.

the ncaa was beaten in court by the power schools before, they have been beaten to the punch by california, and now possibly congress.

they had damn well get out in front of this or they run the risk of losing control of college football.

i can promise you there have been power behind the scene waiting for an opportunity to leverage more control from the ncaa and i would not be surprised to see someone such as del conte involved with such actions.

They better be really careful or they could lose an entire industry. The people fighting for what they think is in their best interests really isn't really in their best interest.

Eight

They better be really careful or they could lose an entire industry. The people fighting for what they think is in their best interests really isn't really in their best interest.

which is why the ncaa has to get out in front of this as soon as possible.

they had their chance with the ea sports lawsuit and they basically stuck to the status quo. the arguments they make about protecting the smaller schools, game day attendance, etc...didn't work in the mid 80's and it sounds even hollower now as the ncaa, the athletic departments, and the coaches make millions of dollars.

it is not farfetched to me to see 32-40 big school football programs break off from the ncaa and create their own "collegiate league"

the schools via the conferences already control the television contracts, could make their own rules, wouldn't have to split anything with the ncaa, and do you really believe the ncaa would have the balls to rule every other sport on campus ineligible for ncaa sports and there are multiple examples of schools that compete at different levels of competition in their sports programs.

TX_Krötenechse

The tax situation is more complicated:

Every single piece of personal equipment:
cleats (4-6 pairs per season, $120 each)
gloves (10x per season $60 each)
training shoes (3x per season, $100 each)
shorts (4-6x per season, $50 each)
shirts, (6-10x per season, $50 each)

Every single charter flight/bus/travel percentage, 6-7x per season, $300-800+ value

Per Diem: $45 dollars per day for training camp + any mandatory time while school is out of session.

Tutors: $40-60 dollars per session.

Every meal from the training table, $12/meal. This "free meal" is 5 nights per week, every school year. +- 2500 total.

And the big one: Tuition - $30,000-60,000. .

Room/Board, $1600-2200/Month

ALL of this would count towards adjusted income. Good luck paying federal and state taxes on several thousand dollars worth of "free stuff"
That isn’t how taxable income works ... none of those things** are currently taxable, they aren’t going to suddenly become taxable because there’s another source of income.

** - stipends for room and board are taxable, as would be any money used to pay for tutoring. Since the tutoring is presumably free of charge it would not be taxable.

Last edited:

TX_Krötenechse

If players start receiving money while playing college ball for their likeness, does then their scholarship, room board, books, tutoring service, etc. become taxable income?
No. The presence of outside income doesn’t make scholarships (and other similar things, like training and equipment and whatnot provided to student athletes) suddenly taxable when they currently aren’t.

as for stipends, those are already taxable and presumably withheld by the university upon dispersement. The catch there is that most students - especially student athletes who don’t have time for a job - will fall below the income tax threshold and get all that FICA withholding back.

Leap Frog

Eight said he would not be surprised if 32-40 schools broke off and started a conference of their own.
Texas, Arkansas and several others tried this back in the 60's-- they were "tired" of the little church schools.
Gov. Bill Clements stepped in and said he would withhold state funding if this happened.
The talk of that disappeared, but that was then and now is now,
Who knows? We see things happening today that simply blow your mind.

Wexahu

Eight said he would not be surprised if 32-40 schools broke off and started a conference of their own.
Texas, Arkansas and several others tried this back in the 60's-- they were "tired" of the little church schools.
Gov. Bill Clements stepped in and said he would withhold state funding if this happened.
The talk of that disappeared, but that was then and now is now,
Who knows? We see things happening today that simply blow your mind.

Not sure why many people would watch. Who is interested in what amounts to another pro league?

notyalc

it is not farfetched to me to see 32-40 big school football programs break off from the ncaa and create their own "collegiate league"

If they start their own pro league they would become the biggest political target you can imagine. The NCAA (even though it may not be all sweetness and light) provides some cover from various forms of scrutiny that a Pro College League would undoubtedly get.

Eight

If they start their own pro league they would become the biggest political target you can imagine. The NCAA (even though it may not be all sweetness and light) provides some cover from various forms of scrutiny that a Pro College League would undoubtedly get.

who said anything about paying the players.

hypothetically the new 40 team group allowed players to earn income from outside activities but not get paid to play that isn't a pro league?

the reality is the ncaa has seen this coming from some time and done nothing about it and as i said i wouldn't be surprised to see someone come up with a plan if the ncaa digs in on what appears to be inevitable.

LeagueCityFrog

Two calls from Del Conte over at UT to Arizona and Arizona State and they will be in the reinstated Big XII South division with the 4 Texas Big XII schools and we are done thinking about California's laws trying to impact the rest of college sports......and TCU is good!

HG73

Here's how I think this will play out:
The AD at Ohio state has already said they would not play any California teams. I'm sure he already spoke with other B1G ADs and the commissioner and probably speaks for the conference. If the ADs of the ACC, B12 and SEC would step up and say they're not playing California teams either, then perfection just happened.
1. CFP: PAC ineligible, the four remaining conference champs play off.
2. Bowls: PAC ineligible. More for everyone else.
3. Since conference champions go to the CFP, OOC doesn't matter. Teams will schedule other good teams because those games make more money and generate more fan interest. A loss doesn't disqualify you from the CFP.

Nobody watches the PAC, everyone else is already asleep. Nobody wants to play them three time zones away with all the extra expense. They can play Mountain West teams OOC, have a championship game and a few bowls. Good riddance.
Pray this happens.

Eight

except that you have other states and a us representative filing legislation following california's lead

if this issue was solely contained to cali so be it, but this thing is already spreading and if it becomes law elsewhere or gets through congress the cold shoulder routine isn't going to make it go away.

CountryFrog

This is where we disagree. I think that's true up until a certain point, but only to the point where the games remain exciting. If a bunch of no-talent guys are grinding out 2 yards / carry and a 50% passing completion for 150 yards, people tune out real quick, because that would be boring as heck to watch. The single biggest determining factor in sports is 1) Is the game fun to watch, followed closely (to your point) by 2) Is there a star / brand that I enjoy watching. If the games are boring because the talent is bad, people won't watch regardless of what the brand is.
You've basically just described Michigan football for most of the last 20 years.