• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU athletic director ‘really nervous’ about California’s new Fair Pay to Play Act

LVH

Nobody here quite has a firm grasp on the amount of leverage the NCAA tournament brings to the table for the NCAA - it is worth more than the college football playoff. Any school splitting from the NCAA is walking away from the biggest NCAA cash cow, March Madness.

LVH

That said, there's a really big chunk missing from the "they will leave the NCAA and start their own pro league" thesis, and that's television contracts..

March Madness is the big one. The smaller schools are what make March Madness and the big schools know it. March Madness is worth billions, and a 32 team tournament of only big name schools would not be the same or as valuable.

JugbandFrog

It will help a lot of mostly unrecognized sports like volleyball and such. These players will be able to use their social medias to make some nice cash.

Eight

It will help a lot of mostly unrecognized sports like volleyball and such. These players will be able to use their social medias to make some nice cash.

i think actually these are the sports that possibly are at risk of suffering the most if the ncaa were to take a hard line and excommunicate the cal schools if they opt to allow their athletes to participate in the benefit allowed by the state law

the ncaa has long claimed that the benefactors of all that money the ncaa makes off their cut of the football games and basketball are the smaller schools and programs other than football, basketball, etc..

what happens to those programs if the cal teams are no longer allowed to participate in the ncaa competition?

what happens to water polo? men's and women's volleyball? tennis? golf? track and field? gymnastics?

many people are looking at this merely on the bigger brand sports, but the impact cold be much bigger to those athletic programs depending upon how the ncaa opts to move forward.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
This is all nonsense. Big Time Football is not going to split into a separate division of get paid legally or not get paid legally. Are ESPN, Fox and CBS just going to bury their heads and have chaos undo their TV contracts? Do you think their Alumni would give a flip about rooting for a their school that competes in the semi-pro California league while the rest of the nation moves on without them with no real shot at a national title.

Are they going to have a mandatory tax prep class to teach them that they are going to lose about 45% of what they earn in California then also have to pay tax on their tuition at some point? After they get done with that they will be keeping about 30% of what they make. How many will have spent that money, be broke and owing the IRS when they leave college since they are 18-23 year old kids?

I also think the uniqueness of college football makes any type of paid minor league football so un-interesting it won’t survive unless every single Power 5 conference does it.

Plus California state income tax...

Surfrog

The tax situation is more complicated:

Every single piece of personal equipment:
cleats (4-6 pairs per season, $120 each)
gloves (10x per season $60 each)
training shoes (3x per season, $100 each)
shorts (4-6x per season, $50 each)
shirts, (6-10x per season, $50 each)

Every single charter flight/bus/travel percentage, 6-7x per season, $300-800+ value

Per Diem: $45 dollars per day for training camp + any mandatory time while school is out of session.

Tutors: $40-60 dollars per session.

Every meal from the training table, $12/meal. This "free meal" is 5 nights per week, every school year. +- 2500 total.

And the big one: Tuition - $30,000-60,000. .

Room/Board, $1600-2200/Month

ALL of this would count towards adjusted income. Good luck paying federal and state taxes on several thousand dollars worth of "free stuff"

Zubaz

The tax situation is more complicated:

Every single piece of personal equipment:
cleats (4-6 pairs per season, $120 each)
gloves (10x per season $60 each)
training shoes (3x per season, $100 each)
shorts (4-6x per season, $50 each)
shirts, (6-10x per season, $50 each)

Every single charter flight/bus/travel percentage, 6-7x per season, $300-800+ value

Per Diem: $45 dollars per day for training camp + any mandatory time while school is out of session.

Tutors: $40-60 dollars per session.

Every meal from the training table, $12/meal. This "free meal" is 5 nights per week, every school year. +- 2500 total.

And the big one: Tuition - $30,000-60,000. .

Room/Board, $1600-2200/Month

ALL of this would count towards adjusted income. Good luck paying federal and state taxes on several thousand dollars worth of "free stuff"
Why would any of this necessarily become income? If you are on a Flute scholarship and work at Einstein's, or even get money for a performance, does your scholarship all of the sudden become taxable income? This doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

SuperBarrFrog

Why would any of this necessarily become income? If you are on a Flute scholarship and work at Einstein's, or even get money for a performance, does your scholarship all of the sudden become taxable income? This doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

It makes zero sense. Everyone seems to think Cali made it so the schools can pay the athletes. People are dumb and make assumptions and draw terrible conclusions like gangbusters when it comes to this topic.

CountryFrog

I'm all for players getting paid. The more money being pumped into the economy the better imo. I just have yet to see a model that will work for both athletes and the schools. Professional sports all have a union that work with the owners to reach collective bargaining agreements that govern those sports. The key word there being collective. When both sides can't come to an agreement then there is a strike or a lockout. Those things are rare of course because it's in the best interest of both sides to reach an agreement.

There would have to be some type of similar setup if you started paying players but if both sides can't find a middle ground that remains productive for everyone then what happens? The schools just find "replacement" athletes who are willing to forego payment and simply play for nothing more than a free education which gets us back to where we are now. Then you have a bunch of top athletes just sitting around not playing and therefore not being evaluated by the NFL teams which certainly won't last for very long before they realize they need to agree to whatever they possibly can.

Pro sports can't survive this type of thing because they rely on the star athletes that everyone knows to keep fan interest at its highest. That's the only real leverage the players actually have. But how many college fans will really care that the "top" HS talent isn't on the field? 99% of them don't know who any of those players are and the public outcry for the "stars" to return would be almost non existent as long as the games go on.

I understand this current proposal is not necessarily for paying players, it's just to allow players to profit off their likeness, but you're living in total naivety if you think that's not where it's all headed once we start down the path.

Eight

The way it's written now, the school pays the taxes on all associated items. If the players get paid, all of that liability gets transferred to the players. It's how it works in the NFL.

but in the nfl the players are being paid by the club.

as has been pointed out on this thread, the california law allows the players to be paid by others for the likeness etc...but unless i am wrong no where does it say the schools will be paying the players for playing for their respective schools

Surfrog

It makes zero sense. Everyone seems to think Cali made it so the schools can pay the athletes. People are dumb and make assumptions and draw terrible conclusions like gangbusters when it comes to this topic.

There was actually a federal bill to make this the case a year ago, it failed as it would destroy most grad student and Ph.D. programs, as they often trade teaching services for a scholarship.

At a minimum, current tax code means the recipient would be responsible for all equipment taxes and flights as they are the end-user.

EDIT Just read eights post, it depends on how far you take "paying players" of whether it's the school paying players or 3rd party for NIL related items.

Reality is, the NCAA rules and this CA rule are headed for a supreme court clash that will ultimately decide what happens with college athletics. Right now, no one really knows as different people interpret the bylaws differently.

Last edited:

Mean Purple

So, just a thought, but ... has anybody actually read the legislation that created the law?

Obviously, those in the news who have experience with legisation (those few) are not pointing out an obvious.

Right out the gate the law has some issues. And by that, I mean it will be hard for the state of California to enforce it. Especially on the NCAA. My guess, the Governor there knows this won't hold water, so why not sign it and get the publicity.
It is almost laughable to watch the media reaction, having read the legislation that created the law. What is laughable is how the law ignores some federal acts, yet demands agents follow a a federal act in pert near the same breath.

If the State of California is dumb enough to go after the NCAA for enforcing legitimate and recognized rules, while attempting to sides step legitimate and authorized agreements and regulation, then they deserve the blowback they will get.

Eight

So, just a thought, but ... has anybody actually read the legislation that created the law?

Obviously, those in the news who have experience with legisation (those few) are not pointing out an obvious.

Right out the gate the law has some issues. And by that, I mean it will be hard for the state of California to enforce it. Especially on the NCAA. My guess, the Governor there knows this won't hold water, so why not sign it and get the publicity.
It is almost laughable to watch the media reaction, having read the legislation that created the law. What is laughable is how the law ignores some federal acts, yet demands agents follow a a federal act in pert near the same breath.

If the State of California is dumb enough to go after the NCAA for enforcing legitimate and recognized rules, while attempting to sides step legitimate and authorized agreements and regulation, then they deserve the blowback they will get.

why should we read it with odds are the the folks in california who passed the bill never read it and simply voted based upon the scribbles of some 21-year old intern who barely passed high school civics class.

Mean Purple

why should we read it with odds are the the folks in california who passed the bill never read it and simply voted based upon the scribbles of some 21-year old intern who barely passed high school civics class.
meh, scribbles probably came from a comittee staffer, who also has a poor grasp of civics.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

It's hard to scoop the NCAA in the "Dumb" category, yet Cali has managed to do so...

MAcFroggy

Does all of the additional states piling on with laws of their own help or hurt the NCAA argument that it is dealing with Interstate commerce? Seems like it might help their argument?

WhatTheFrog

Will this stop them from moving to TX in any way? That's what concerns me. Don't really give a darn what they do football-wise, as long as they stay there. Adios, mofos!

Californians are as bad as illegal aliens. Prove me wrong. I should go set up a table and chairs somewhere on campus and debate this...

GenXFrog

So many student-athletes already struggle with the time demands of being a student and an athlete. Adding the whole business element is sure to be an even greater drain.

Of course, the Cali law tries to mitigate that whole business burden by requiring the student-athlete to engage an agent. That agent won't just be looking for corporate sponsors.

They will be involved in any decision the student makes regarding their marketability.

Who they sign with, whether they should transfer, etc. It won't just be a coach and student-athlete/family relationship anymore.

The impact to college sports will be seismic.

netty2424

I’ve already got tired head on this topic.

What a sloppy mess. NCAA waited too long to act and now their hand is being forced. They’re ill prepared to deal with it, like everything else they do.