• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Paschal product Dylan Thomas emerging as dependable go-to receiver for TCU

WhatTheFrog

Drops WERE an issue against SMU. Have you read anything that I've posted?

Maybe "drops" isn't the appropriate word. Catching balls with a defender on you...theirs did it and ours didn't. Is that more appropriate? I count those as drops. Maybe I should count those as "great defense". Our defenders are supposed to be superior to theirs.

Ok, our guys should have come down with more completions with defenders in their faces, LIKE THE SMU PLAYERS DID. Is that better? Are their players better than our players?

Punter1

you are exactly right in that the receivers have played better over the last two games.

the one guy who is still struggling at times (derius davis) wasn't a true receiver in high school and he would have benefited from red-shirting last year.

He should be a CB/return guy with a couple jet sweeps a game...dude just isnt a natural catcher of the ball.

But we've gone down this road before....

Moose Stuff

Maybe "drops" isn't the appropriate word. Catching balls with a defender on you...theirs did it and ours didn't. Is that more appropriate? I count those as drops. Maybe I should count those as "great defense". Our defenders are supposed to be superior to theirs.

Ok, our guys should have come down with more completions with defenders in their faces, LIKE THE SMU PLAYERS DID. Is that better? Are their players better than our players?

You’re correct, drops is not the appropriate word. SMU’s top two WR and QB were vastly superior to ours in that game. Literally 100% of the posters on this board agree with that.

Billy Clyde

Loving all the insightful posts here about Dylan Thomas...

Wasn't he a QB/ATH at Paschal? If so, makes some sense it would take a bit more time for him to develop as a pure WR. Really hope the trend holds up for him, would be a great story if it does... Want to see TCU getting ALL the local talent, especially from the areas surrounding FW.

Moose Stuff

Wasn't he a QB/ATH at Paschal? If so, makes some sense it would take a bit more time for him to develop as a pure WR. Really hope the trend holds up for him, would be a great story if it does... Want to see TCU getting ALL the local talent, especially from the areas surrounding FW.

Injuries have been the biggest issue for him IMO.

WhatTheFrog

You’re correct, drops is not the appropriate word. SMU’s top two WR and QB were vastly superior to ours in that game. Literally 100% of the posters on this board agree with that.
Were we ever favored to win that game? If so, why? I guess the whole "home field advantage" thing factored in. Their athletes are clearly better than ours, we should be happy to have even been in the game, no?

I'm so glad, now, that we were even in the game. Man, so close! We could've beaten them! Maybe in a few years, we will be at their level!

jake102

Were we ever favored to win that game? If so, why? I guess the whole "home field advantage" thing factored in. Their athletes are clearly better than ours, we should be happy to have even been in the game, no?

I'm so glad, now, that we were even in the game. Man, so close! We could've beaten them! Maybe in a few years, we will be at their level!

SMU was much better than us at QB, which is probably about 50% of the success of your offense. And they were quite a bit better at WR. And shockingly their CBs were better than ours. Outside of those positions, TCU was better everywhere, that’s why the game was close.

WhatTheFrog

SMU was much better than us at QB, which is probably about 50% of the success of your offense. And they were quite a bit better at WR. And shockingly their CBs were better than ours. Outside of those positions, TCU was better everywhere, that’s why the game was close.
Typically, that would mean that we suck if SMU is better than us at those positions. They must really be doing something better than we are. We need to fix that post haste!

Portland Frog

IIRC he primarily played QB at Paschal.

Moose Stuff

I apologize to the board for having taken you seriously.

talor

I believe contested balls is the phrase youre seeking

Eight

yes, i have and you are right. three drops were a big problem in the smu game.

the three fumbles dropped by tcu ball carriers put the tcu in a bind, but you keep going on about the great smu catches and the frog receivers dropping passes.

you can say it all you want, but there just weren't that many smu catches over tcu defenders and there were not tcu receivers dropping passes all over the place.

you can continue to type it again and again, but the smu receivers did not treat the frog defenders like lynn swann treated mark washington and benny barnes in super bowl x and the tcu receivers were not like jack dundee in the best of times.

Eight

if i remember correctly he missed a good part of his senior year at paschal due to injury. don't not what and i know he has had some injury issues at tcu, but patterson has continually mentioned his name again and again as someone they needed to get back in the offense.

he went for 4 catches for 70 yards against smu and had max looked his way in the first half more he was wide open multiple times on deep ins and crossing routes (someone note that for the first time in the history of this site a poster made a semi-negative comment about max duggan).

Eight

He should be a CB/return guy with a couple jet sweeps a game...dude just isnt a natural catcher of the ball.

But we've gone down this road before....

very true punter, i think derius would have or still would benefit from a red-shirt year to work on his skills as a receiver.

his ability to change direction and the burst out of cut would make him lethal on inside routes, but that means time to learn the position and he just hasn't had that in ft worth

WhatTheFrog

yes, i have and you are right. three drops were a big problem in the smu game.

the three fumbles dropped by tcu ball carriers put the tcu in a bind, but you keep going on about the great smu catches and the frog receivers dropping passes.

you can say it all you want, but there just weren't that many smu catches over tcu defenders and there were not tcu receivers dropping passes all over the place.

you can continue to type it again and again, but the smu receivers did not treat the frog defenders like lynn swann treated mark washington and benny barnes in super bowl x and the tcu receivers were not like jack dundee in the best of times.
I'm not saying it over and over, hoping that what I'm saying is right. If that were the case, I'd say TCU receivers were catching passes left and right all day.

Which receivers caught contested passes/balls (thanks, @talor) when it counted? Who won the game? That's about as simple as I can put it. Theirs did, ours didn't. Pretty evident, right?