• The KillerFrogs

ISU at a glance

Froggish

ross had as disruptive a game as i can recall from a tcu defensive tackle in quite some time. he has gotten better and better each week.

i have already said i think the key for the tcu run game is the match up between lima and coy mcmillon

If McMillon can hold up against Lima who is going to be an NFL draft pick that will be saying a ton.

Ive said this a number of times..Your getting good production out of Cooper as your 3rd DT, why not try Blacklock at DE on a 3rd down and see if he can get to the QB? He’s very quick of the ball and his hand technique is twice as good as any of our DEs..It’s unconventional but it could work as he’s skimmed down and coming of the ball really well

Eight

If McMillon can hold up against Lima who is going to be an NFL draft pick that will be saying a ton.

Ive said this a number of times..Your getting good production out of Cooper as your 3rd DT, why not try Blacklock at DE on a 3rd down and see if he can get to the QB? He’s very quick of the ball and his hand technique is twice as good as any of our DEs..It’s unconventional but it could work as he’s skimmed down and coming of the ball really well

interesting idea though i am not sure if the quickness ross has against interior offensive linemen would be as apparent against tackles.

it is a very interesting idea and i am curious what it would look like if tcu ran a 3 man front with cooper, bethley, and ross when gary runs his 3-3-5.

i am not sure if coy is quite physically ready for taking lima head up, but he doesn't need to dominate just stalemate lima and if coy can do this the frogs i believe will be able to run the ball effectively in ames

CountryFrog

Why would we want to move our best D-lineman FURTHER away from the QB on passing downs? If anything, you occasionally see teams move their top DE inside on a passing down to utilize his quickness inside and get him CLOSER to the QB.

Froggish

Why would we want to move our best D-lineman FURTHER away from the QB on passing downs? If anything, you occasionally see teams move their top DE inside on a passing down to utilize his quickness inside and get him CLOSER to the QB.

He's playing phenomenally. I'm not saying its conventional to "occasionally" move him to the outside. I recognize its a bit crazy. But really he's the only guy on our defensive line getting any pressure at all. If your trying to get your best pass rushers on the field, I think Cooper has been pretty good inside and is one of those guys. In fact you may not be aware but so far, Cooper has been better then Bethley. I'm not sure why, but Bethley hasn't been himself this year..Could be the return of Ross

Speaking of DT....Outside of trash time, Ross, Cooper, and Bethley are the only DTs we've really seen. It would appear the more we creep into 3-3-5 the smaller our DT rotation becomes.

CountryFrog

He's playing phenomenally. I'm not saying its conventional to "occasionally" move him to the outside. I recognize its a bit crazy. But really he's the only guy on our defensive line getting any pressure at all. If your trying to get your best pass rushers on the field, I think Cooper has been pretty good inside and is one of those guys. In fact you may not be aware but so far, Cooper has been better then Bethley. I'm not sure why, but Bethley hasn't been himself this year..Could be the return of Ross

Speaking of DT....Outside of trash time, Ross, Cooper, and Bethley are the only DTs we've really seen. It would appear the more we creep into 3-3-5 the smaller our DT rotation becomes.
If anything you could put Cooper at DE if you think he's one of your top 4 pass rushers, but you don't move Blacklock out of the middle. A pass rush up the middle is always better than off the edge, although obviously you ideally want both.

Eight

curious if we don't see karter until the end of the year when he is inside his four game red-shirt window.

misi played in game 1 that i recalled and the stats on gofrogs says he has played in four games. not sure how accurate that list is though because if shows plant hasn't played at all yet you can clearly see #98 on the field during each of the last four games

i haven't seen ellis at all this year and don't recall filikitonga playing in any games yet as well.

Froggish

If anything you could put Cooper at DE if you think he's one of your top 4 pass rushers, but you don't move Blacklock out of the middle. A pass rush up the middle is always better than off the edge, although obviously you ideally want both.

I think we can all agree that we have to get better at getting to the QB..When your best pass rusher is a hand in the dirt guy you probably have an issue..The good news is we are playing the run well and I have faith that the light will come on for Mathis

Froggish

curious if we don't see karter until the end of the year when he is inside his four game red-shirt window.

misi played in game 1 that i recalled and the stats on gofrogs says he has played in four games. not sure how accurate that list is though because if shows plant hasn't played at all yet you can clearly see #98 on the field during each of the last four games

i haven't seen ellis at all this year and don't recall filikitonga playing in any games yet as well.

Pretty unusual for GP not to have a DT rotation of 4-5..I kind of think that Ellis has been hurt but I might be wrong..

We are now getting into the portion of the schedule where if you haven’t played and are still eligible for a RS, you are probably going to be managed well..I’m thinking of a guys like Barkley and Ben Wilson who you might try and target for RS..

Also is Bowen’s injury season ending or is he projected to be back? I don’t think he can help at this point but you never know

Eight

Pretty unusual for GP not to have a DT rotation of 4-5..I kind of think that Ellis has been hurt but I might be wrong..

We are now getting into the portion of the schedule where if you haven’t played and are still eligible for a RS, you are probably going to be managed well..I’m thinking of a guys like Barkley and Ben Wilson who you might try and target for RS..

Also is Bowen’s injury season ending or is he projected to be back? I don’t think he can help at this point but you never know

who knows on injuries behind the purple curtain as gary will reference the number of injuries, but things are very vague beyond those comments.

ellis hasn't played so i have to think he is hurt, no idea on iziah, and no idea on karter.

curious if barkley does end up red-shirting as well as barber if he can't get on the field soon.

frogs might not have the luxury of red-shirting ben wilson. thing about ben though is we really don't have a big track record from him to know without a doubt he will be better than van zandt or winter. we know he is bigger, but will he be better?

never heard what has bowen signed this time. if it is the shoulder again that is a very big concern in regards to it being a chronic problem .

ISU at a Glance according to their fans

1. Looks ISU career sack leader and pre-season All Big12 DE JaQuan Bailey sustained a lower-leg injury against Baylor and might miss this weeks game. Could be a big loss for them.

2. Offensive Line appears to be a concern especially at OT...Straight ahead run blocking has been good but pass protect and lateral movement is below average. RT has had a rough go of it. If we can keep them from going downhill at us we should be in good shape. Big Ross, Bethley, and Wallow need to be aggressive at the LOS.

3. Overall team speed isn't great and they haven't established a real homerun hitter as of yet.

4. Strength of offense so far has been connection between QB Purdy and TE Kolar. They are high on their Freshman RB Brock but haven't gotten him loose yet. Upperclassman still commanding most the reps

5. Their defensive strength is still the front with NG Lima real tough against the run....Weakness is pretty clearly at the corners.

6. That defense is 125th in the country on 3rd down. They are extremely tough on 1st & 2nd but let a lot of teams off the hook on 3rd...Sounds like us last year.

7. They are running a lot more RPO this year with Purdy and he is mostly keeping it....Leading the team in carries. Which is odd for a team like ISU who culturally loves to hand it off..

On paper it should be a classic defensive battle. Both teams will be challenged to stop each others run game and control the LOS. Playing at home and coming off of a loss they will be especially salty. More then any other conference team, ISU has the horses to challenge our run game and force us to beat them with the pass. I am expecting them to go 2 and even some 3 TE sets. Purdy running seems dangerous as we didn't handle that well with Buechele and SMU.

People are down on ISU as they were really hyped coming into the season but they are a FG and a muffed punt from being 4-0. I think Purdy will carve us up if we don't find a DE who can rush the passer.
Thanks

Froggish

GP dropped a few nuggs in presser..Filikitonga has been hurt and Ellis was ineligible due to grades..Both are about to be back along with Wilson

CountryFrog

How do we feel about the amount of respect being given to this week's opponent? Are we in a good place or do we need to be worried?

First things first for me. There's a big physics test coming up for a bunch of the players tomorrow morning so that's what I'm focused on. I don't want any of them thinking that I'm taking that test for granted and overlooking it, otherwise they'll all fail. THEN, I can start thinking about Iowa St.

Froggish

Interesting facts about the Iowa St offense...

1. On the entire season they’ve only had 2ea 3 and outs...

2. They’ve crossed the opponents 45 on 32 drives and only come away with points on 12...

3. They’ve went for 400+ yards in every game

They are actually moving up and down the field a lot on offense but are stalling out on drives...

TX_Krötenechse

Interesting facts about the Iowa St offense...

1. On the entire season they’ve only had 2ea 3 and outs...

2. They’ve crossed the opponents 45 on 32 drives and only come away with points on 12...

3. They’ve went for 400+ yards in every game

They are actually moving up and down the field a lot on offense but are stalling out on drives...
It’s because their run game is really weak. They’re good at passing the ball but when the field tightens up those passing lanes start to disappear.

InstaFrog

When I made my season prediction, I was chalking ISU up as a loss. We'll see, I think a good crowd and giving their QB time, could write doom for the Frogs.
How did you have the SMU game? Point is, I'm not sure who we are yet based on the performances vs the competition level thus far. Hopefully optimistic, but as The Wolf said in Pulp Fiction, "Let's not start......"

Chongo94

How did you have the SMU game? Point is, I'm not sure who we are yet based on the performances vs the competition level thus far. Hopefully optimistic, but as The Wolf said in Pulp Fiction, "Let's not start......"

Perhaps one of the most underrated quotes in movie history...