• The KillerFrogs

Making the Case Against TV Timeouts

HToady

Another difference is half time. College-20 minutes, NFL-12 minutes. That would help too.
Just think how much money the networks would save if they got rid of the talking heads and just ran commercials at halftime.
Plus visitors need not bring their band, although that would probably be a detriment for us.....

I'm glad you interacted here. As referees. what are your directions pertaining to TV timeouts? Is it 3 or 4 or 5?
When a team tries to take more that three timeouts they are flagged for delay of game or if an injury occurs in the last 2 minutes they get a 10 second runoff or have to give up a timeout. These rules enforced by the refs, control the flow of the game.
What if the TV station doesn't have the time slot limitation, and tries to add timeouts, do you have the authority to tell them no, take away a time out?
What if a team just recovers a fumble, and TV man steps out, and the coach says "NO. we have momentum and we want to go!". Can he do that?
TV timeouts, including number per quarter are determined by tv network in conjunction with the conference. Yes, if tv tries to take an additional time out in a quarter, the time out can be denied. The coach has no say if tv takes a time out, but most producers are knowledgeable about when to take one and when not to regarding momentum.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
I hate all forms of advertising. I would be blissfully happy if all advertising was removed from sports broadcasting and would have no problem seeing what would be the final result, if it were implemented across the board. I have gotten very good at hitting the mute button as they cut away to commercial; it makes it a little more tolerable.

Deep Purple

The digital clock that shows the time left in the timeout has actually helped shorten the game. The teams now know exactly when their team has to get back on the field. Prior to that clock, teams were notorious for delaying getting back on the field.
I love that digital clock during the game breaks. It doesn't shorten the breaks, but it sure makes them feel shorter, knowing when play will resume.

Only problem I have is with the clueless guy who held that clock during the SMU game. The people who need to see the clock -- the teams and the fans -- are almost entirely on the sidelines. At the SMU game, the idiot clock-holder kept facing it toward the endzones. Three quarters of the time, I couldn't read what it displayed.

HToady

The Kansas Game, first quarter went 40 minutes as opposed to 1 hour the week before. WhY?

Only 1 TV time out, No Official reviews, No team timeouts.No injuries.

The only dumb thing was commercials after a TCU score. Kickoff to KU, then more commercials. After 1 play!

The game actually finished 5 minutes early for the 2:30 game to start.

FrogSweep

I agree. No TV Timeouts. Add time to half-time, before/after game to make up the marketing difference. It's gotten so one has to bring reading material along to fill all the dead time and keep from getting bored. And, it seriously interrupts the flow of the game.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Nope. not one second less of advertising time was suggested.

We have a product they want.....so we should just bend over and take it?

I’m guessing TCU wouldn’t be one of their high priority products, more like we came with the package and they have to include everyone. I’m guessing if they had a choice only UT and OU would be on all the time along with Bama, An Ohio A&M, et al.

WhatTheFrog

"The previous play is under review (for no damn reason)" while the fans are frying in the stands in hot September temps. I really don't care if the guy made it into the endzone or he's a foot short. Place the ball at the foot line, resume play, the RB will put it in the endzone in less time than your stupid review. I don't know how many times I've said "just place it where you think it might belong and let's run a dang play" this season already while I'm suffering my arse(loch) off in the stands.

Another reason why I don't care that we scored that last touchdown on KU...doosh Miles wants to keep me in the beating sun?! Screw that dude.

The Kansas Game, first quarter went 40 minutes as opposed to 1 hour the week before. WhY?

Only 1 TV time out, No Official reviews, No team timeouts.No injuries.

The only dumb thing was commercials after a TCU score. Kickoff to KU, then more commercials. After 1 play!

The game actually finished 5 minutes early for the 2:30 game to start.
I read this with great interest as I have never been involved in a game with only 1 TV timeout. I was also interested in what the format for media timeouts they were using. I also timed the first few media timeouts and it looked like they were runnng about 2:40 from start to snap, which is normal. The format appeared to be 4 per quarter with a floater. The breakdown of media timeouts were:
First Quarter
11:12 after a TD
10:17 after a punt
2:09 after a TD
2:03 after a free kick

Second Quarter
13:15 after a punt
10:54 after a TD
7:33 after a missed FG
4:44 after a TD

Third Quarter
11:25 after a punt
7:29 after a punt
6:29 after a punt
1:55 after a missed field goal

Fourth Quarter
14:41 after a punt
12:27 after a punt
12:10 after a TD
9:14 after a TD
3:50 after a TD (Floater)

In the First Half there were 3 timeouts, 1 review, and 1 injury stop. None resulted in a media timeout.
In the Second Half there was 1 injury stop, and 2 or 3 timeouts, none resulting in media timeouts.
Timeouts taken between quarters do not count as media timeouts and are normally longer than media ones.

DeuceBoogieNights

"The previous play is under review (for no damn reason)" while the fans are frying in the stands in hot September temps. I really don't care if the guy made it into the endzone or he's a foot short. Place the ball at the foot line, resume play, the RB will put it in the endzone in less time than your stupid review. I don't know how many times I've said "just place it where you think it might belong and let's run a dang play" this season already while I'm suffering my arse(loch) off in the stands.

Another reason why I don't care that we scored that last touchdown on KU...doosh Miles wants to keep me in the beating sun?! Screw that dude.

This is a terrible thought process.

WhatTheFrog

This is a terrible thought process.
Sorry you feel that way. The upper east side was a sauna, though. I didn't appreciate all of the time spent to spot the ball at the obvious spot. Place the dang thing and play ball.

Edit: It's not like a foot here or there was going to make a difference in this game. Had it been a nailbiter, I'd have a different outlook.

DeuceBoogieNights

Sorry you feel that way. The upper east side was a sauna, though. I didn't appreciate all of the time spent to spot the ball at the obvious spot. Place the dang thing and play ball.

Edit: It's not like a foot here or there was going to make a difference in this game. Had it been a nailbiter, I'd have a different outlook.

You can't just make up the rules as you go depending on the score.

HToady

I’m guessing TCU wouldn’t be one of their high priority products, more like we came with the package and they have to include everyone. I’m guessing if they had a choice only UT and OU would be on all the time along with Bama, An Ohio A&M, et al.
It's about college football in general being ruined by TV producers that don't care about football, they care about selling ads.

HToady

I read this with great interest as I have never been involved in a game with only 1 TV timeout. I was also interested in what the format for media timeouts they were using. I also timed the first few media timeouts and it looked like they were runnng about 2:40 from start to snap, which is normal. The format appeared to be 4 per quarter with a floater. The breakdown of media timeouts were:
First Quarter
11:12 after a TD
10:17 after a punt
2:09 after a TD
2:03 after a free kick

Second Quarter
13:15 after a punt
10:54 after a TD
7:33 after a missed FG
4:44 after a TD

Third Quarter
11:25 after a punt
7:29 after a punt
6:29 after a punt
1:55 after a missed field goal

Fourth Quarter
14:41 after a punt
12:27 after a punt
12:10 after a TD
9:14 after a TD
3:50 after a TD (Floater)

In the First Half there were 3 timeouts, 1 review, and 1 injury stop. None resulted in a media timeout.
In the Second Half there was 1 injury stop, and 2 or 3 timeouts, none resulting in media timeouts.
Timeouts taken between quarters do not count as media timeouts and are normally longer than media ones.
Thanks for doing this. I suspect they realized they may run short and loaded up in the second half. Third quarter seemed to go long, then again there was less scoring.
If Tv producers and league leaders were smart, they would figure out a way to use team timeouts, official reviews, injuries, to plug in their commercials and eliminate tv timeous entirely. But I'm convinced they don't think about game flow, or momentum, or how they were effecting the game

MAcFroggy

Fox has more ads for college football games than espn. Fox even does the dreaded TD-commercial-kickoff-commercial. They have done away with it in the NFL because the league decided fans hated it so much. However, they still do it for college games sometimes.

College football really does need to go to the NFL challenge rules (or similar). There are SO many unnecessary reviews. A player gains one yard, but his knee actually went to with a gain of 0. There is a Three minute review process for
No reason. If the coach isn’t willing to challenge then it is probably okay to let it slide. I have said this many time, but reviews are the single worst part of college football for a casual fan. They need a better process. In this day and age why does the ref need to run 60 yards across the field to watch some little screen or listen to some special headset? They already have headsets to communicate with each other on the field. Add in the replay officials to that system and allow for much a more seamless process. This would allow officials to be ready if the play is confirmed. They can set the ball and blow the ready to play the whistle. If it is reversed or changed, they can move the ball to the correct location (like they would set the ball after any play) and blow this whistle. There is so much wasted time and movement on every review.