• The KillerFrogs

Quarterback stat comparison

Planks

Now that all of our quarterbacks have a few a few games under their belts, I thought it would be interesting to do a comparison of their stats from their careers in a TCU uniform.

Max Duggan

Passing
47/88 (53.4%)
523 yards
5.9 Avg
7 TDs
0 Ints
6 Sacks
129.6 passer rating

Rushing
26 Attempts
12 yards
0.5 average
1 TD

Alex Delton

Passing
21/43 (48.8%)
310 yards
7.2 Avg
0 TDs
1 Int
3 Sacks
104.7 passer rating

Rushing
15 Attempts
88 yards
5.9 Avg
0 TDs

Mike Collins

Passing
80/141 (56.7%)
1,079 yards
7.7 Avg
6 TDs
2 Ints
6 Sacks
131.3 passer rating

Rushing
39 Attempts
122 yards
3.13 Avg
4 TDs

Planks

A point that had been made by many posters in the off-season was that Collins had outperformed Delton statically thus far in their careers. The counter argument was usually that this was an unfair comparison since the Kansas State and TCU offenses were so different, and that once Delton had a chance to play in the TCU offense he would prove to be better than Collins.

Thus far that hasn’t been the case. Collins has outperformed Delton. With that being said, it’s still early in the season and as Delton receives more playing time in a TCU uniform he may eventually overtake Collins statistically.

McGregor's Goat

I have accepted the fact that GP likes Delton and he'll probably continue to be in the rotation, although I find it frustrating. He had a nice game on Saturday, but he's just extremely limited as a passer. And I think his ability as a runner is often overstated as well. His best season as a rusher was in 2017, when he had 500 yards and a 5.0 average. I'm fine with the coaches sticking with Duggan - he has a long way to go but has a chance to be very good. But I have a hard time understanding how we're better off with Delton in the rotation than Collins.

berryfrog95

Probably see Delton a good bit this week @ Iowa State based on weather and style of play....don’t hate that idea but not in love with it either

Wexahu

I think the order as far as which guy gives us the best chance to win a game right now would be Collins, Duggan, then Delton. If someone wants to convince me Duggan is better than Collins today I'd say that's fair but based on what I saw out of Collins last year, I just think he's a little better right now.

IMO Delton is no more polished or less turnover prone than either of those two guys right now, I just don't get the need to force feed him reps. Let him start playing some WR, with Barber out and Davis having so much trouble catching the ball, see if he can fill a role there. Then if something happens to either Duggan or Collins move him back to QB.

Wexahu

I wouldn't mind seeing Delton in short 4th down or goal to go situations. He's a solid runner and throws short passes well. I'd much rather Delton in these situations than see us in Wild Frog with Sewo at QB.

I don't think Delton has demonstrated that he'd be any more effective in those situations than either Duggan or Collins. As for the Wild Frog, I agree, I'd just scrap the thing altogether. It serves no real purpose other than I think the coaches use it to get Sewo some touches.

netty2424

I don't think Delton has demonstrated that he'd be any more effective in those situations than either Duggan or Collins. As for the Wild Frog, I agree, I'd just scrap the thing altogether. It serves no real purpose other than I think the coaches use it to get Sewo some touches.
Weird closing sentence.

Wexahu

Weird closing sentence.

Maybe so, and maybe that's a reach, but I honestly think that has something to do with it. You got a kid the coaches probably like, he was a highly recruited kid that has some ability, but he doesn't really fit our base offense well so you try and come up with a way to get him involved.

I ask myself why else would we do it and the only other answers I come up with seems dumber.

4th. down

Now that all of our quarterbacks have a few a few games under their belts, I thought it would be interesting to do a comparison of their stats from their careers in a TCU uniform.

Max Duggan

Passing
47/88 (53.4%)
523 yards
5.9 Avg
7 TDs
0 Ints
6 Sacks
129.6 passer rating

Rushing
26 Attempts
12 yards
0.5 average
1 TD

Alex Delton

Passing
21/43 (48.8%)
310 yards
7.2 Avg
0 TDs
1 Int
3 Sacks
104.7 passer rating

Rushing
15 Attempts
88 yards
5.9 Avg
0 TDs

Mike Collins

Passing
80/141 (56.7%)
1,079 yards
7.7 Avg
6 TDs
2 Ints
6 Sacks
131.3 passer rating

Rushing
39 Attempts
122 yards
3.13 Avg
4 TDs

Planks, thanks for the stats. It confirms my suspicions, Mike should be no. 2.

4th. down

ABSOLUTELY, very unproductive on balance, even going back thru the last season. IMO, not a good goal line or short yardage scheme.

H0RNEDFR0G

I can think of two reasons Delton is more effective than Duggan and Collins in those situations. Number one, Delton has much more experience. Secondly, as user Planks pointed out, Delton is a more accomplished rusher at 5.9 YPC, compared to Duggan's .5 and Collin's 3.1 YPC. At K-State Delton rushed for 11 TDs.

Last edited:

Eight

Probably see Delton a good bit this week @ Iowa State based on weather and style of play....don’t hate that idea but not in love with it either

so delton is better suited to hand the ball to #6 and #33 than duggan? than collins?

the single best thing the tcu offense does is hand the freaking ball to their backs and have the quarterback get out of the way.

my concern with delton is aside with the one deep ball down the sideline the passing game gets compressed with him in the game and that plays into the hands of most of the defenses in the big 12.

the offense has to be willing to attack down the field and that meets the skill set of duggan and collins.

Planks

I have accepted the fact that GP likes Delton and he'll probably continue to be in the rotation, although I find it frustrating. He had a nice game on Saturday, but he's just extremely limited as a passer. And I think his ability as a runner is often overstated as well. His best season as a rusher was in 2017, when he had 500 yards and a 5.0 average. I'm fine with the coaches sticking with Duggan - he has a long way to go but has a chance to be very good. But I have a hard time understanding how we're better off with Delton in the rotation than Collins.

I’ve thought a lot about why coaches have Delton as number 2 over Collins, despite Collins appearing to be the better quarterback from both an eye test and statistical standpoint. This is what I have come up with:

1. Collins may still be hurt and with Delton available coaches don’t feel the need to rush Collins back. They also may not trust Collins foot to last the season without injury. This is the simplest explanation and may be the correct one.

2. Delton is a team captain, and coaches may feel that it’s worth it from a leadership standpoint to have him as the number 2 even if he’s not as good as Collins. It’s hard to get a team to buy in to a team captain if that captain is a third stringer.

3. Patterson loves loves loves quarterbacks with athletic ability. He hates going against them on defense, and he hated having to gameplan to stop Delton when he was at K State. So now that he has Delton he wants to use him.

4. Coaches may feel that they’ve simply invested too many practice reps and practice time into Delton at this point. Delton received the most reps in Fall practice and in Spring practice, it would seem like a waste if they moved him behind Collins who obviously received much less practice time in Fall and Spring practice. This is part logical fallacy (sunk cost bias) and part logic (rapport with receivers and team mates).

5. Coaches may feel they “owe” Delton the number 2 spot due to his decision to transfer to TCU. Delton’s original plan was to transfer to UTEP to play for a former coach. He would have been the unquestioned starter there, but our coaches convinced him to come to TCU instead.

Eight

I’ve thought a lot about why coaches have Delton as number 2 over Collins, despite Collins appearing to be the better quarterback from both an eye test and statistical standpoint. This is what I have come up with:

1. Collins may still be hurt and with Delton available coaches don’t feel the need to rush Collins back. They also may not trust Collins foot to last the season without injury. This is the simplest explanation and may be the correct one.

2. Delton is a team captain, and coaches may feel that it’s worth it from a leadership standpoint to have him as the number 2 even if he’s not as good as Collins. It’s hard to get a team to buy in to a team captain if that captain is a third stringer.

3. Patterson loves loves loves quarterbacks with athletic ability. He hates going against them on defense, and he hated having to gameplan to stop Delton when he was at K State. So now that he has Delton he wants to use him.

4. Coaches may feel that they’ve simply invested too many practice reps and practice time into Delton at this point. Delton received the most reps in Fall practice and in Spring practice, it would seem like a waste if they moved him behind Collins who obviously received much less practice time in Fall and Spring practice. This is part logical fallacy (sunk cost bias) and part logic (rapport with receivers and team mates).

5. Coaches may feel they “owe” Delton the number 2 spot due to his decision to transfer to TCU. Delton’s original plan was to transfer to UTEP to play for a former coach. He would have been the unquestioned starter there, but our coaches convinced him to come to TCU instead.

i agree that we really have no idea why gary seems so fixated on playing delton.

on #3 delton never had a good game against tcu. i hear gary dislikes facing athletic quarterbacks and all, but delton never had a good game against the frogs.

on #4 when does the good of the team super cede decisions made before the start of the season when we are talking about a player who will be done with the program at the end of the season

if #5 is the case how is that any different than the situation last year when robinson was supposedly promised that he would be the guy as starting quarterbacks last year?

Endless Purple

Good stats. Need to add two categories:
1) fumbles - I think this puts Delton ahead of Duggan for short yard running plays, but have not looked up actual numbers.

2) Team scoring - which QB leads the team to the most points as a whole, basically manages the scoring drives themselves or handing off to the running backs.