• The KillerFrogs

Bucket list revised

There is only 1, two seat A-10, if they would let me I would gladly pay the gas bill to take you for a ride. I know there is at least 1 former Viper driver on this forum! As for books, The Ravens (USAF FACs for Vang Pao in Laos during Vietnam) or We Were Soldiers Once and Young. Both awesome!
I’m one of those former viper drivers and ditto what fan said. If only. Hell I’d like a ride at this point!

Sims have come a long way. Might have a couple of contacts over at carswell ...sorry joint reserve base Ft Worth.

I’ll poke around but probably a low Pk shot.

Just started on desperate ground by Hampton sides. Came highly recommended and so far good. To hell with Oprah and Reese. Sign me up for Wes’s book club. Also Mrs. tftbl ”made” me read where the crawdads sing. Great story. I also liked it because I’m originally from that part of the world (Carolinas).

Tumbleweed

Just wanted to add some trivia to THE HAT. One of America's all time favorite actors wore The Hat in every western movie he made. I understand he made it part of his contract. He also rode the same horse in every western movie. Anyone know who I'm talking about?

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Just wanted to add some trivia to THE HAT. One of America's all time favorite actors wore The Hat in every western movie he made. I understand he made it part of his contract. He also rode the same horse in every western movie. Anyone know who I'm talking about?
John Wayne?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
May I strongly recommend John Lundstrom's Black Shoe Carrier Admiral which is an excellent biography of Adm. Frank Jack Fletcher and tells the tale of the early days of the Pacific War.

I would also strongly recommend just about everything James D. Hornfischer has written. He has covered the Pacific War from Ship of Ghosts, the story of the cruiser USS Houston, to The Fleet at Flood Tide, describing the fruits of huge industrial output and the resulting mass of warships that closed in upon Japan in 1944-45.

Tumbleweed

General James Stewart. Scar was the name of his horse. Jimmy rode Scar in 14 western films. You know John Wayne made it to TCU for a visit. I think he was a Sigma Chi at USC.

Pharm Frog

John Wayne?

I think that’s right because the Duke rode Dollor in every western after he first rode him but I don’t know if he rode a different horse earlier. He had a contract for Dollor. I do wonder if Randolph Scott rode the same horse but don’t think he wore the hat.

NM: Tumbleweed answered

Billy Clyde

I guess that I’m going to have to give up bob a ride in an F16 or A10 and I doubt tTHE DOD Would be keen on mybeibgvapassenger during a carriervlannding unless NAVYFrog. Has some pull

so I’ve whittled down the list to a more realistic one

a book per week. Today I’ll find ish off the NavalwR of 1812 and then I’m pivoting from AMERICAN presidents to military history so if any of you have suggestion s for that topic, I’m all ears

#2. One last trip f toAustralia. The 15 hour flight would be hard given my limitations but I’d gets lots of reading in
Then I could sit at Brunettis, sip coffee and watch the world go byvisit my favorite coffee roaster at the Queen Victoria Market. I drink a lot of coffee when I am down there

watch an Aussie Rukes Foitball game and see the future Hirned Frig Punterslike Jordan sandy

own a Stetson “open Road”. Hat. Think LBJ AND THE HAT TCU MENS tennis coach David Roditi always wears

my grandfather was never without his and it’s a classic but iconic cowboy hat

my new barber owns a store that can custom build one for $ abot $200.0000 so it’s on my list now

volunteer at Cooks Chikdrens Hospital. Just something I’d like to do

that’s it. Seeing earth from outer space would never have happened so time to get realistic and enjoy life

As for hats, since you are obvi a traditionalist, at least consider Peter Bros hats. Worth a visit, even if you ultimately buy elsewhere, it is a FW Downtown institution. Their building reminds of an ancient Feed Store. Their hats are a bit on the pricey side, but very classy.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Wes, if you send me your hat size, I'll send you a new Stetson Open Road. It's the least I can do for you after all the enjoyment you've given me through Kf's.

What size do you need?
pharmacist.jpg

(Anybody remember this classic scene?)

Froglaw

CAN DO!

Story of the he SeaBees in a WWII.

Dad.s unit is mentioned in the book. Battles of Guam, Siapan, Guadalcanal, Europe, etc.

Interesting concept and material used in both theatres was the giant metal square tubes. Floated ashore for docks, breakwaters, river crossings, roads, etc.

Axis powers never picked up on the idea.

It gets technical, but if like to solve logistic problems it is a must read.

NavyFrog

May I strongly recommend John Lundstrom's Black Shoe Carrier Admiral which is an excellent biography of Adm. Frank Jack Fletcher and tells the tale of the early days of the Pacific War.

I would also strongly recommend just about everything James D. Hornfischer has written. He has covered the Pacific War from Ship of Ghosts, the story of the cruiser USS Houston, to The Fleet at Flood Tide, describing the fruits of huge industrial output and the resulting mass of warships that closed in upon Japan in 1944-45.
I think I have "Ship of Ghosts". You can borrow it if you'd like. I also recommend "I Could Never Be So Lucky Again: An Autobiography" by James Doolittle. Doolittle was a true pioneer in early aviation. "Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption" by Laura Hillendbrand. It is the story of Louis Zamperini, a WWII prisoner of war. And finally, "Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of Seal Team 10" by Marcus Luttrell.

I wish I could get you the carrier the landing but I just don't have that much pull.

Last edited:

Strat Frog

Buy the Open Road at one of your local western wear stores for a reasonable price. Great hat. Interesting to watch its journey over the years: An earlier western hat with a shorter brim at a time when all gentlemen wore hats, not just cowboys. LBJ a wearer then too. Worn with suits for a time and a nice pair of boots. Also, it was a hat previously worn by a lot of law enforcement, sheriffs and the like. More recently, it’s become the hat for certain musicians who want to look cool; think Jeff Tweedy of Wilco in a denim jacket. It’s a great ‘gateway’ and universal western hat because it’s classically made and shaped while the shorter brim allows everyone to ride a western wave, so to speak. A very American hat that makes the wearer look good; especially around a camp fire with a whiskey in hand...