• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘A lot of people in red and blue.’ TCU’s Patterson not happy with crowd for SMU game

Deep Purple

Telling GP to stay in his lane on the crowd while everyone here feels free to minutely criticize the way he does his job is chicken [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]. There is plenty of valid criticism to go around on that game including some for the fans
Disagree. The crowd are the paying customers. They spend thousands of dollars per year on TCU football (at least I know I do). They're entitled to expect much better than what they saw on Saturday, and to criticize when they instead see a stumbling, fumbling, bumbling team effort, all topped off by completely dull and uninspired coaching.

GP, on the other hand, is being paid $5 million per year to produce teams that may not always win top accolades, but should at least be reasonably expected to beat the likes of SMU. He's not being paid $5 million to blame the fans when the team he coaches doesn't perform up to capability. I will never accept a head coach blaming poor team performance on the fans. There wasn't a single TCU fan on that field last Saturday, much less fans who fumbled the ball six times, turning it over on three of those fumbles to destroy TCU scoring attempts or set up SMU scoring opportunities.

Gary, there were at most 500 SMU fans in Amon Carter Stadium on Saturday. They did not win the game for SMU. Good coaching and good player execution won the game. Likewise, the 41,000 TCU fans at the game -- perhaps 10,000 of whom left at halftime -- did not lose the game for TCU. We lost because we got outcoached and outplayed.

Making a scapegoat of fickle TCU fans is not an acceptable response.

Js96

I agree, the fans did not loose the game, but it is has to be a let down to the team to see 10,000 fans leave the game. I was not able to renew season tickets this year, but this has been a repeated problem. I don’t understand paying the prices charged for tickets only to stay half the game.

netty2424

Disagree. The crowd are the paying customers. They spend thousands of dollars per year on TCU football (at least I know I do). They're entitled to expect much better than what they saw on Saturday, and to criticize when they instead see a stumbling, fumbling, bumbling team effort, all topped off by completely dull and uninspired coaching.

GP, on the other hand, is being paid $5 million per year to produce teams that may not always win top accolades, but should at least be reasonably expected to beat the likes of SMU. He's not being paid $5 million to blame the fans when the team he coaches doesn't perform up to capability. I will never accept a head coach blaming poor team performance on the fans. There wasn't a single TCU fan on that field last Saturday, much less fans who fumbled the ball six times, turning it over on three of those fumbles to destroy TCU scoring attempts or set up SMU scoring opportunities.

Gary, there were at most 500 SMU fans in Amon Carter Stadium on Saturday. They did not win the game for SMU. Good coaching and good player execution won the game. Likewise, the 41,000 TCU fans at the game -- perhaps 10,000 of whom left at halftime -- did not lose the game for TCU. We lost because we got outcoached and outplayed.

Absolutely no way there were 41,000 people in attendance.

NewFrogFan

I understand what LAWHCGMP was saying. In the section where I sit, directly behind the home bench, sections 104, 105 and 106, there were tons of red and blue. Plus, there we smew fans too chicken [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] to wear their color sitting those sections, as well. That is because TCU ticket holders (not true Frog Fans) sold their seats to fans from the opposing team. If I were destitute, and in need of money to buy food, I would burn my tickets before selling them to the opposing team’s fans. Additionally, the student section half emptied out at half time. It is easy to figure out why. They wanted their underage beer party fix that they couldn’t get it in the stadium. They used to go out at half time, drink and come back. Now, drinking is more important than supporting their team, so at half, they just leave, knowing they can’t come back in. Beer sales with the no re-entry is having the exact opposite effect on attendance than was intended IMHO!
GO FROGS!
BEAT BASKETBALL CHEATERS!
Spit Blood ~<~~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!

Underage students drinking, in 19 years now I dont think I have ever seen an obviously drunk AND underage student asked for ID at TCU. It will be interesting to see if the halftime exodus continues, if it does, I would hope TCU does what virtually every school in the country does and moves them to an endzone. They are not a factor but selling those prime seats to fans willing to buy them would be.

arlington

I agree, the fans did not loose the game, but it is has to be a let down to the team to see 10,000 fans leave the game. I was not able to renew season tickets this year, but this has been a repeated problem. I don’t understand paying the prices charged for tickets only to stay half the game.

Once again when you go into halftime and have more turnovers than completed passes and are getting your arses kicked, i would hope that my coaches AND my players are more focused on playing ball than what the fans are doing, period! Fans who pay money can do whatever the hell they want. Other fans have an opinion. Players and coaches should shut their damn mouths and coach and play

Bob

I agree with everything Deep said. But, I admit that I have started to fit that "entitled" description and over-react to when disappointment to the outcome (That's Briles speak for getting our butts kicked).

Frog fans (me included) felt that "entitlement) back in the late '50s too. Even remember Abe being hung in effigy. I just hope that what happened after that period of entitlement doesn't happen after this one. Sometimes you don't know what you've got till its gone.

LVH

Underage students drinking, in 19 years now I dont think I have ever seen an obviously drunk AND underage student asked for ID at TCU. It will be interesting to see if the halftime exodus continues, if it does, I would hope TCU does what virtually every school in the country does and moves them to an endzone. They are not a factor but selling those prime seats to fans willing to buy them would be.

I got banned from Lupton Stadium for the rest of the 2010 season because I got into a fistfight with a bunch of underage drunk kids on the 3rd base patio. Even though they started the fight and I was just defending myself. They got away with it because one of the kids dads was a big donor who rented out the patio on the 3rd base side for the season. As long as your daddy donates enough money, you can do whatever you want at TCU.

GP's Step-Son

I got banned from Lupton Stadium for the rest of the 2010 season because I got into a fistfight with a bunch of underage drunk kids on the 3rd base patio. Even though they started the fight and I was just defending myself. They got away with it because one of the kids dads was a big donor who rented out the patio on the 3rd base side for the season. As long as your daddy donates enough money, you can do whatever you want at TCU.

Did you win?

LVH

Did you win?

Yes

I was there for my lab since I was in a sports production class that semester and our lab was to produce the Tuesday Night baseball games for The Mtn. I was the stage manager for the game so I was just there to supervise all the crew.

The drunk kids would not leave our 3rd base side camera man alone. They kept scheissing around with him and the equipment. $20,000 camera we are talking about here. Finally a drunk kid went too far so I pushed him off the camera platform. Whoever the donor renting out the 3rd base patio was started screaming at me not to put hands on his kid. I told him to get the hell away from the expensive equipment then and there will be no problems. The dad started to swing his dick around saying stuff like "Do you know who I am" and how he could get me kicked out of TCU with just one phone call if I keep it up. I said try me and then his kid started swinging at me. I got a few blows in and he went to the ground(since he was hammered) and the police came and whoever runs the facility for Lupton came over and I got criminally trespassed banned for the rest of the year. Fortunately it was late April so that was our last lab for the year.

WhatTheFrog

They should open up the lower bowl sections halfway through 3rd quarter or so to allow all of the empty spaces to fill in. Maybe stipulate that you need to be in home team colors (wouldn't help much against KSU, but oh well). That would get the fans closer to the field and the enthusiasm (noise) level may rise. At least do a test run for a game, discontinue if it causes too many problems. Seemed to work pretty well for the student section last year after Thanksgiving.

Maybe that's been suggested before, I don't know.

4 Oaks Frog

Why don’t we just cut his pay!! We can just take $250,000 of his pay every time “HE” looses a game. That would probably put an end to his loosing, don’t you think!!! After a while, if “HE” lost too many games, he couldn’t afford to work at TCU, and he would quit. Problem solved!! Right?
I am sick of tying his loss and win record to “the million$ we pay him. He is paid as much as he makes because when his team was winning everything, you, me and everyone else said give him what he wants to keep him here. How many were complaining then? You don’t get it both ways. We are lucky to have LMAWHCGMFP as our coach. And, if you want abandon him when the waters get a bit rough, just go right ahead. But for me, I Will Not Worry, and Gary On!
GO FROGS!
BEAT BASKETBALL CHEATERS!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!

Last edited:

MTfrog5

I'm not on GPs case to be fired or pay cut or anything like that. I just think he gets childishly petty sometimes when things go bad. Bitching about fans is one of those petty things.
Here is the thing and I agree it can sound petty, but to win at a high level you have to recruit high level players. Fans, like it or not, help get those high level kids. By fans not showing up or staying for the 2nd half, makes the coaches job that much harder to debunk the negative recruiting that does go on.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
I can't take it anymore.

Loose vs. Lose
  • Lose is a verb that means “to fail to win, to misplace, or to free oneself from something or someone."
  • Loose is an adjective that means “not tight."

vr/
Grammar Police
Go get 'em. If bad usage were a crime, some here would be on death row! [Note the proper use of the subjunctive: with wishes, suppositions, and statements contrary to fact. Oh, I can get pedantic with the best of them.]

Last edited: