• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘A lot of people in red and blue.’ TCU’s Patterson not happy with crowd for SMU game

Mean Purple

Look, if we could stay for games in the early/mid 90s, then you can stay for them in the winning era. And we did not have beer. Well, we did not have beer that was sold in the stadium. (nor the bourbon for that matter)

The whole “put a better product on the field” excuse just reeks of how apathetic our fan base is. Bottom line is if we had a better second half crowd that was loud and bearing down on SMU’s defense on that last drive who knows how this game turns out. Good programs have bad games against lesser opponents all the time. Home field advantage in the end often makes the difference in whether home team gets upset by lesser team or home team escapes with an ugly win. If we had escaped with an ugly win on Saturday, yeah it wouldn’t be all sunshine and roses on KillerFrogs this week but the doomsday outlook about the rest of our season would be mostly neutralized. Especially after recognizing SMU was actually a pretty good team.

It doesn’t mean we have to be happy with the product on the field, coaching blunders, etc or that we shouldn’t expect change at some point. It just means do your job as a fan and don’t ditch out on these young men who committed to play for your alma mater in a game that was still very much winnable at halftime.

This guy gets it. This is a real fan. Go Frogs!

Big Frog II

My seats are that section (121) most of those SMU students didn't have tickets there. There simply bum rushed the section at the start of the game and once there, security wasn't interested doing anything about, despite being asked repeated by me and the other Frog fan season ticket holders in that section who got displaced.
Well that’s is what those ushers are for. If that company can’t do their job we need to hire another one.

arlington

Why does GP sometimes act like a petulant 2 year old? I was on the sideline and during the 1st timeout we were trying to count actual SMU fans wearing red it was an embarrassing turnout for SMU. Just because they kicked our *&^% and 100 of them gathered together to cheer doesnt mean there was an SMU takeover of the place. Nothing drives me crazier than getting your butt kicked and deflecting to irrelevant nonsense like what were our fans were doing. Watching a poorly prepared, poorly coached team is what we were doing..Did we need more fans to call aWild Frog pass on 4th and 1? If the fans were more alert could we have voted whether Song was a better option than Duggan on 4th down?

westoverhillbilly

Even during the Pony Express days of the early 80's when SMU finished #2 in the polls, they couldn't draw flies to their games- I remember going to see them play our Frogs at Texas stadium. They've had sub 10,000 tickets sold to some of their games in recent history with a very low percentage of those attending.

However, Sonny put together a solid team with a great effort and caught us in a quarterback funk, which happens to many programs (i.e. UT, A&M and everybody but Alabama and recent Clemson and OU teams).. I trust Max will come on this season..

smufrogger

"I saw a lot of people in red and blue that were down lower than what they should have been. So I asked that question, ‘How they got there?’” -GMFP

I saw a lot of people in red and blue in our end zone many times and asked the same thing.
They flooded the north east lower deck next to the student section. And by flooded maybe 50-100 smu fans tops. No CSc personnel were checking tickets. They were checking the student section but not directly next to the student section.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
They flooded the north east lower deck next to the student section. And by flooded maybe 50-100 smu fans tops. No CSc personnel were checking tickets. They were checking the student section but not directly next to the student section.
tenor.gif

Klaw

attendence is becoming a very big problem around the country.

anyone see the stands in the fsu-louisville game?

Eventually, these conference and universities will have to decide if they want fans attendance or TV money because you cannot expect your fan base to site in 90+ heat when the experience is better at home.

I love the frogs but Saturday’s experience is making me reconsider if I will to subject my family to a day Game in September.

HFrog12

I got no problem with fans being called out for so may leaving right after half. crowd noise helps with momentum. Helps on 3rd and long, etc.

Ehh, doesn’t matter how many fans you have in the stands on third down when everyone thinks just waving three fingers is enough.

smufrogger

Reading comprehension not your strong suit?
Let me slow it down for you...
1-There were not a lot of smu fans there.
2-There was a small gathering next to the student section who made a bit of noise.
3- Gary was exaggerating the smu presence.

Finally- the ushers allowed the smu fans to take over the one section open on the lower east side.

Girlfriend who is SMU law student insisted on wearing SMU shirt to game. I told her it better be mostly white, and it was. Small SMU logo up near the collar. Most didn't seem to notice it. Quite a few in purple were staring at her woman parts though.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The whole “put a better product on the field” excuse just reeks of how apathetic our fan base is. Bottom line is if we had a better second half crowd that was loud and bearing down on SMU’s defense on that last drive who knows how this game turns out. Good programs have bad games against lesser opponents all the time. Home field advantage in the end often makes the difference in whether home team gets upset by lesser team or home team escapes with an ugly win. If we had escaped with an ugly win on Saturday, yeah it wouldn’t be all sunshine and roses on KillerFrogs this week but the doomsday outlook about the rest of our season would be mostly neutralized. Especially after recognizing SMU was actually a pretty good team.

It doesn’t mean we have to be happy with the product on the field, coaching blunders, etc or that we shouldn’t expect change at some point. It just means do your job as a fan and don’t ditch out on these young men who committed to play for your alma mater in a game that was still very much winnable at halftime.
You know, I might still have this kind of attitude if TCU hadn't kicked myself and every other stalwart fan out of our seats and relegated us to the nether regions beyond the 20s, then filled in those newly vacated areas with Big Donors. What was a solid block of supporters is gone, replaced by StubHub buyers.
I will also add that it isn't like this is the first time the Frogs have looked like a gang of bumbling oaves. Somehow, the Staff is unable to instill discipline, poise, and knowledge of what players are to do during games. For 3 of the last 4 seasons, our offense has been spotty at best, and it was clear from the first possession that this game was going to be a bad one. Fans voted with their feet.
Oh, and had we managed to pull out the win, there would be plenty of people on the ledge...

cheese83

Eventually, these conference and universities will have to decide if they want fans attendance or TV money because you cannot expect your fan base to site in 90+ heat when the experience is better at home.

I love the frogs but Saturday’s experience is making me reconsider if I will to subject my family to a day Game in September.

I know TV scheduling dictates when we play our games but I don't think any team should play anything but night games. It would help with attendance as most can finish up kids sports that day then tailgate for a few hours and enjoy a little cooler weather. Plus it would benefit the players too.

But that will never happen.

OmniscienceFrog

Being behind 31-17 at half in 95 degree weather by a team we were favored by 10 over will run off a bunch of fans.

If we had played the entire game like we should have their fans would have been back in Dallas by the start of the 4th quarter.

That being said these day games in September are going to run off thousands of season ticket holders because they are going to start buying just the tickets for the games they want to see and blow off games like ARK PB and day games played in 90+ degree heat.
Nah, they won't lose thousands. They may lose a few, but most will still want their tickets to the bigger conference games and to party in their suites and the parking lots. They just won't go to the scrimmages and mid day non interesting games.

Last edited:

Latest posts