• The KillerFrogs

PressBox DFW: Patterson could feel SMU troubles coming

Gil LeBreton

PressBox DFW: Patterson could feel SMU troubles coming

By CARLOS MENDEZ
PressBoxDFW.com

FORT WORTH — Gary Patterson hates to say he told you so.

But he told you so.

Low-energy practices. An opponent his team had defeated seven times in a row. Much energy expended the week before.

Nearly two full decades into being a head coach, the TCU boss knew what it meant. Trouble, that’s what it meant, and that’s what he got in a 41-38 loss to SMU last week that left his defense in tatters and his offense explaining how it could have fumbled the ball literally and two short-yardage situations figuratively.

Read more at: https://www.pressboxdfw.com/patterson-could-feel-smu-troubles-coming/

LeagueCityFrog

Gary gets paid in that upper stratosphere like Saban. I don't think the Bama alums would accept that the team wasn't motivated to practice that week and that you could see too many opposing fans in their home stadium as a reason to lose and that's an acceptable answer. The coach is paid to get the players ready and the fans pay good money to see a good product on the field. Instead we got our Saturday ruined and the work week sucks with this lost fresh in our minds. Bring on those Jayhawks! Could you imagine what things would be like if we lose to them at home this weekend. Two years in a row!

Eight

Gary gets paid in that upper stratosphere like Saban. I don't think the Bama alums would accept that the team wasn't motivated to practice that week and that you could see too many opposing fans in their home stadium as a reason to lose and that's an acceptable answer. The coach is paid to get the players ready and the fans pay good money to see a good product on the field. Instead we got our Saturday ruined and the work week sucks with this lost fresh in our minds. Bring on those Jayhawks! Could you imagine what things would be like if we lose to them at home this weekend. Two years in a row!

bama plays poorly in some games just as tcu did last week. big difference when you have more talent than most programs is the talent overcomes those problems.

nick also doesnt hesitate to run kids off at the drop of a hat and i am not sure if tcu is ready for gary to start doing that inside his program.

one common thread in press conferences is both [ hundin] about fans staying

NewFrogFan

If TCU loses this weekend or even barely beats Kansas, things will be as bad as they have ever been. Expectations even with young QB were/ are much higher.

Portland Frog

I don’t understand the “too aggressive” comment by CGP. When CGP called blitzes, they worked for the most part (Gladney, Wallow, etc). But they were called way too infrequently. IMO the defense was too passive (base D) too many times. I’m confused. I must be getting senile. I didn’t see an overly aggressive defense at all.

Eight

I don’t understand the “too aggressive” comment by CGP. When CGP called blitzes, they worked for the most part (Gladney, Wallow, etc). But they were called way too infrequently. IMO the defense was too passive (base D) too many times. I’m confused. I must be getting senile. I didn’t see an overly aggressive defense at all.

i believe the too aggressive was in respect to trying to stop the run which they still hit tcu for some big runs on the final two drives of each half instead of playing the pass a bit more

that might explain why gaines looked to be caught in the middle of nowhere on more than one smu pass play.

Mean Purple

He actually mentioned these concerns on a Sirius XM interview during that game week.
Team had its first game with just one week of practice, back from a hyped win on the road and that were not showing the same energy.
I'm sure many things play into that. Yeah, he should motivate them, but you also have to get game prep work done in practice.

Wexahu

If you try and make sense of it you will get confused because not much of it makes sense.

PO Frog

I couldn't fathom not being able to "get up" for a game when you only play 12 year, and most guys on our team will have less than a couple dozen games remaining in their whole lives. I get being too confident or cocky to study film etc., but not being motivated just sounds like nonsense to me. I played 56 baseball games a year and absolutely couldn't wait to get on the field for every single one of them and was crushed by even getting a rainout.

Putt4Purple

If TCU loses this weekend or even barely beats Kansas, things will be as bad as they have ever been. Expectations even with young QB were/ are much higher.

Don't be surprised if it is a close game. Kansas has improved. That said I do expect TCU to win. The Big 12 from top to bottom is good. The weakest team probably is Baylor. Go Frogs!

steelfrog

Tier 1
This is exactly the same thing he said after we lost to SMoo in '05 (after beating OU).

What can GP do? The kids won't listen? He is powerless to motivate them.

And by the same token, when they play great, that is on the players too, right?

He forgets the old Bear Bryant quote:

“If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you.”

From outside looking in, it appears the problems with this team have been identified but the solutions just don't seem to be panning out. On Offense for whatever reason TCU doesn't seem to run the Air Raid well. Is that coaching "probably" or players we have recruited to run the system, I'm not sure. On defense, we seem to have gaps in recruiting where TCU is super thin at certain positions. Regardless of the why, this season is trending down for the Frogs and this weekend set's up to be a coin flip game.