• The KillerFrogs

TCU - FBS Stat Rankings After Game 3

Froggish

Thought it would be interesting to look a few key indicators after each week to see where we stand. As the competition gets stiffer I expect us to move around quite a bit. Stats taken from the NCAA site.

Offense
1. Total Offense Rank - 52 - 443 YPG
2. Rush Offense Rank - 15 - 260 YPG
3. Pass Offense Rank - 108 - 182 YPG
4. 3rd Dwn % Rank - 40 - .441 - (17.3 PG)

* Its early but some interesting trends emerging. Recalculate Pass Off Rank to Yrds Per Completion" and we fall to 128th almost dead last in FBS! Also we have averaged being in over 17.3 att 3rd downs per game which is one of the highest in FBS. Meaning we aren't getting big plays at ALL. We are grinding....Lack of big plays are concerning but it really hasn't hurt us yet because we haven't faced a great rush defense.

Defense
1. Total Defense Rank - 17 - 275 YPG
2. Rush Def Rank - 15 - 2.26 YPA
3. Pass Def Rank - 41 - 194 YPG
4. 3rd Down % - 43 - .327 (Facing 17+ a game)
5 Turnover Marg Rank - 96 Neg .33 5R/6G

* Defense has been very salty against the run (I believe SMU was in the top 30 for Rush offense coming into that game). Another interesting thing about 3rd down here.....We are getting teams in 3rd down a lot. Which means we are playing really well on 1st and 2nd. SMU is now ranked 19 in the country .500 on 3rd down and were 9/20 against us...We had them in 3rd down a ton. We put them in 3rd down situations roughly 30% more than they have faced all year and they still almost hit their .500 clip...We were terrible on 3rd down..Best I can tell for a defense to be really good, they need to hold teams to less then a .375 3rd Down %...We'll need to get on the other side of ISU to tell if we are any good.

At this point these stats don't really tell us anything other then that our Pass Offense sucks, TO's are a problem, and if SMU is any indication, our defense stayed on the field way longer then it should and got worn down...But....we all new that

So did we give up to many deep balls against SMU? Yes ..BUT I would submit its was actually our poor play on 3rd downs that cost us the game not the over the top balls. I acknowledge that there's lots of room for interpretation here.

helcap

Thought it would be interesting to look a few key indicators after each week to see where we stand. As the competition gets stiffer I expect us to move around quite a bit. Stats taken from the NCAA site.

Offense
1. Total Offense Rank - 52 - 443 YPG
2. Rush Offense Rank - 15 - 260 YPG
3. Pass Offense Rank - 108 - 182 YPG
4. 3rd Dwn % Rank - 40 - .441 - (17.3 PG)

* Its early but some interesting trends emerging. Recalculate Pass Off Rank to Yrds Per Completion" and we fall to 128th almost dead last in FBS! Also we have averaged being in over 17.3 att 3rd downs per game which is one of the highest in FBS. Meaning we aren't getting big plays at ALL. We are grinding....Lack of big plays are concerning but it really hasn't hurt us yet because we haven't faced a great rush defense.

Defense
1. Total Defense Rank - 17 - 275 YPG
2. Rush Def Rank - 15 - 2.26 YPA
3. Pass Def Rank - 41 - 194 YPG
4. 3rd Down % - 43 - .327 (Facing 17+ a game)
5 Turnover Marg Rank - 96 Neg .33 5R/6G

* Defense has been very salty against the run (I believe SMU was in the top 30 for Rush offense coming into that game). Another interesting thing about 3rd down here.....We are getting teams in 3rd down a lot. Which means we are playing really well on 1st and 2nd. SMU is now ranked 19 in the country .500 on 3rd down and were 9/20 against us...We had them in 3rd down a ton. We put them in 3rd down situations roughly 30% more than they have faced all year and they still almost hit their .500 clip...We were terrible on 3rd down..Best I can tell for a defense to be really good, they need to hold teams to less then a .375 3rd Down %...We'll need to get on the other side of ISU to tell if we are any good.

At this point these stats don't really tell us anything other then that our Pass Offense sucks, TO's are a problem, and if SMU is any indication, our defense stayed on the field way longer then it should and got worn down...But....we all new that

So did we give up to many deep balls against SMU? Yes ..BUT I would submit its was actually our poor play on 3rd downs that cost us the game not the over the top balls. I acknowledge that there's lots of room for interpretation here.
It seemed like every other 3rd down Buechele would get one running from the pocket

Last edited:

LeagueCityFrog

We were statistically one of the worst offenses last year in the NCAA database. I had suggested after last season that we should reach out to the Kansas City TCU Alums and have TCU package up Coach Cumbie and send him north to spend a couple of days with Andy Reid in the off season and learn.

This was more than possible. We have some very strong alums from KC and it could have been arranged. Andy Reid is one of the brightest minds ever in drawing up creative plays and knowing what works with the personel that he has. Instead we have what we have.

I have a firm belief that Doug Meacham, despite the issues that Gary and others had, has a better feel for the game and what to call when and that the offensive skill players 100% respected Meacham is what I was told directly by one of his former scholarship position players.

Froggish

Over time I have come to respect that Cumbie is actually a pretty creative offensive mind. However...and its a big However... his ability to read in-game context and call plays that exploit other teams weaknesses is extremely poor....Is that a function of his inexperience? Is it a function of him needing a mentor?..I don’t know that..I do know that for 3 years he has continually reworked his offense completely which if you’ve ever coached, you know how hard that is ...BUT when the game kicks off everything seems to be dictated to him by the defense. Where as I know that good OCs take it to defenses and force THEM to adjust...I can’t imagine how amateur Cumbie would look with GP calling a game against him..

FrogFactor69

It’s interesting that no one has considered that GP may have handcuffs on Cumbie? It’s GP who said his defense need rest and that under our previous air raid/hurry up it didn’t help. Then Meach left and GP slowed things down. Gary is at much st daily as anyone.

robbroyy

We were statistically one of the worst offenses last year in the NCAA database. I had suggested after last season that we should reach out to the Kansas City TCU Alums and have TCU package up Coach Cumbie and send him north to spend a couple of days with Andy Reid in the off season and learn.

This was more than possible. We have some very strong alums from KC and it could have been arranged. Andy Reid is one of the brightest minds ever in drawing up creative plays and knowing what works with the personel that he has. Instead we have what we have.

I have a firm belief that Doug Meacham, despite the issues that Gary and others had, has a better feel for the game and what to call when and that the offensive skill players 100% respected Meacham is what I was told directly by one of his former scholarship position players.
I doubt football coaches need alumni at a school to facilitate connections with other coaches. As long as Patterson and Reid have been in the game, I’m sure they have a connection. NFL teams are already calling Patterson for defensive help vs. wide open offenses plus scouts come in the building every week. Who knows what professional development Cumbie did. I’m sure he didn’t just sit on the couch

I have become fan of Andy Reid and Chiefs mostly due to girlfriend and her crush on Patrick Mahomes. Her dad took us to game last year and bought me a jersey.

Saw a funny video last year, he was 2x as big as other kids in football skill competition.