• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU athletic director ‘really nervous’ about California’s new Fair Pay to Play Act

Mean Purple

these kids have worked hard on their skills and are talented - why are they not able to profit from that?

why can universities rake in millions a year off of their hard work and then restrict athletes ability to market themselves and be paid for who they are?
Ok, a side from ignoring the fact they get an education, food, clothing, exposure, and, most important to some who want the NFL, growth and development, all paid for by the school ...

Ok, let them have that cash. And they can pay their way to school, oh, and be fired when they dont produce in a season.

Or, we could not ignore all the freebies they are getting that I memtioned.

Because without the College, some of the kids have zero exposure or future.

CountryFrog

Will this open the door for the top chemistry students to start getting licensing and apparel contracts? I can't wait to see my favorite philosophy student signing autographs at the book store for $100 apiece.

Ok, a side from ignoring the fact they get an education, food, clothing, exposure, and, most important to some who want the NFL, growth and development, all paid for by the school ...

Ok, let them have that cash. And they can pay their way to school, oh, and be fired when they dont produce in a season.

Good point about firing players. Do we really want a system where irrational fans are calling for players to get fired?

Deeper than that, who represents the player when some jerk reneges on a payment because he’s unhappy with the player’s performance and the player didn’t have the wherewithal to protect himself with a good legal document?

And even if he did, do we want our players dealing with attorneys and agents during the season?

And...just imagine the quality of “agents” that will be creeping around college campuses.

netty2424

Strong disagree here. Yes the university brand is important and these players wouldn't draw flies without it (same as any star player that tries to play in the XFL or AAF or Playing for Pizza League), but IMO you're severely downplaying the impact high quality players have on revenue for their schools as well.

Don't disagree at all, I just don't think they are mutually exclusive.
No disrespect intended here but I think you’ve got your head in the sand on this issue.

It will not fair well for small schools with small fan bases.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
I'm all for it as long as the Showgirls get paid. ;)

In all seriousness, the biggest issue surrounding this is Title IX and what will become the death nail to a lot of sports. You can't have one sport paying players without equality and Title IX rearing its ugly head. Which means, the hand full of "talented" football players getting paid will cause the rest of the athletes at the school to be required to pull the same amount, or else the institution will run afoul of Title IX. There isn't enough money to pay Football players, and Baseball players, and Basketball players, and Volleyball players, and Track and Field, and Equestrian, and Rifle, and Tennis, and Golf, and Hockey, or even Baylor's Quidditch team. So, what will happen is the eventual consolidation of sports at institutions that want to compete in this brave new world, and since each men's sport requires a women's sport you can bet most schools will kill off sports within the first couple of years.

That means, because of a handful of "talented" athletes, hundreds of thousands of high school students who couldn't otherwise afford college will be denied a chance at an athletic scholarship. All because some idiots think this is a good idea for "equality."

OmniscienceFrog

Will this open the door for the top chemistry students to start getting licensing and apparel contracts? I can't wait to see my favorite philosophy student signing autographs at the book store for $100 apiece.
What? That door's already open. Has always been. Any chemistry or philosophy student can be paid for signing autographs at the book store tonight if someone's willing to pay for their autograph.

OmniscienceFrog

I'm all for it as long as the Showgirls get paid. ;)

In all seriousness, the biggest issue surrounding this is Title IX and what will become the death nail to a lot of sports. You can't have one sport paying players without equality and Title IX rearing its ugly head. Which means, the hand full of "talented" football players getting paid will cause the rest of the athletes at the school to be required to pull the same amount, or else the institution will run afoul of Title IX. There isn't enough money to pay Football players, and Baseball players, and Basketball players, and Volleyball players, and Track and Field, and Equestrian, and Rifle, and Tennis, and Golf, and Hockey, or even Baylor's Quidditch team. So, what will happen is the eventual consolidation of sports at institutions that want to compete in this brave new world, and since each men's sport requires a women's sport you can bet most schools will kill off sports within the first couple of years.

That means, because of a handful of "talented" athletes, hundreds of thousands of high school students who couldn't otherwise afford college will be denied a chance at an athletic scholarship. All because some idiots think this is a good idea for "equality."
Not sure how Title IX would come into play here. The schools would not be the ones paying the players. If a volleyball or equestrian or rifle student athlete is financially attractive enough that someone's willing to pay for their name, image, likeness, they will be just as able to receive compensation for it as a football player would be.

Tumbleweed

That thread was a 'defray' or sidetrack post to keep the roar from the SMU game to a minimum. Our politicians use it all the time and have since Geo Washington. Nonetheless the time is near when some sort of compensation will be given. Don't agree w/ it, but certainly an example of the times we live in.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1

And add income tax to the equation which knocks a chunk off that 100k.

I think this will drive away a lot of fans who want to root for people that come because they want to, not because of the paycheck they get. Stupidest idea ever.

LVH

This can go a few ways. Will be interesting. Either the California schools just got a big recruiting advantage or they just shot themselves in the foot.

I think what is more likely is the NCAA rules all California athletes ineligible

I think a compromise would be that players can either receive a full scholarship, or be able to profit from their likeness, but not both

DeuceBoogieNights

I think what is more likely is the NCAA rules all California athletes ineligible

I think a compromise would be that players can either receive a full scholarship, or be able to profit from their likeness, but not both

What happens if this goes through the legal process and judge sides with California? What is the fallout? Other states will have to follow right? Or does the Ncaa implode and have to restructure? I know Saban wont be happy losing athletes to California because they can be paid now.

LVH

What happens if this goes through the legal process and judge sides with California? What is the fallout? Other states will have to follow right? Or does the Ncaa implode and have to restructure? I know Saban wont be happy losing athletes to California because they can be paid now.

NCAA is a private organization that can do what they want.

LeagueCityFrog

One wonders if the real effect of this legislation will be non-California schools in the Pac-12 between now and 2023 start kicking tires over at another conference, say Arizona, Arizona State, and Colorado kicking the Big XII's tires and asking what the membership buy in would cost them. All of this would be conveniently right before the new tv deals start in 2024.

The real losers on this deal may possibly be UCLA and Cal Berkeley. As others pointed out, Stanford and USC are private schools.