• The KillerFrogs

PressBox DFW: About this Patterson-Cumbie kerfuffle . . .

4th. down

We know the perception that exists regarding that aspect of his being a head coach but without being inside the program, the degree to which that is the case is difficult to really know with certainty--at least I feel like it is for me. What I do ask myself is why with all the times that he has practiced against Cumbie, the deficiencies which have plagued the offense have not led him to make a change. I mean he's certainly familiar with what offenses do that put maximize stress on defenses with play design and sequencing that we do not successfully employ and execute. The only thing I can come up with is, that with all of his success, when he sees the defense win practice he attributes that to what he is doing on defense and doesn't stop to consider that maybe some of that success is because his OC is a moron.

Well, he does have an ego and will not let anyone in on his defense. In Shane Buechele's post game interview, he said late in the 2nd. quarter SMU figured out that the uptempo would beat us as GP could not get his signals in.

frog-hat

GP has on head sets but that doesn't mean he's listening to the offensive coaches. His head set probably just links him to his defensive coaches.

After the wildfrog fiasco GP walked past SC and said something and was shaking his head, like that was a poor decision.

if he's not listening on a critical 4 and 1 call at the goal line then he's not doing his job as the head coach.

notyalc

Well, he does have an ego and will not let anyone in on his defense. In Shane Buechele's post game interview, he said late in the 2nd. quarter SMU figured out that the uptempo would beat us as GP could not get his signals in.

If this is true we need to have our guys start rolling around like soccer players.

Eight

Gary pulled this crap last year.

The real problem here is Gary won’t modify to the changing game. Balanced offenses eat him up. If the offense goes to crap as Cumbie typically does, then Gary panics...during and after the game.

one of the most difficult things to do if you have been in any area of work is continually changing, evolving, in some cases making yourself uncomfortable to keep pace with the world around you.

as you point out the frogs have had some struggles in past years with balanced offenses, offenses that look for the big play versus moving the chains, as well as tcu doesn't have the talent advantage they had in cusa and the mwc or the schematic advantage they had when they first came in the big 12.

Eight

A cursory examination of game film from action against the execrable Briles, or Lincoln Riley would have shown this. Others have noticed it, too.

this has been known and seen for quite some time.

gary has tough choices to make with his offensive statf, but he also needs to truly look at how he does things on the defensive side and that to me is actually the bigger concern.

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
this has been known and seen for quite some time.

gary has tough choices to make with his offensive statf, but he also needs to truly look at how he does things on the defensive side and that too me is actually the bigger concern to me.
Like all games, there is an element of adjustments and adjustments to the adjustments. While Coach P is a savant and all, he has to realize that there's always a herd of people who are watching him and staying up nights to figure out how to beat him. Some have evidently figured out one way, and that is to take away the time he has to figure out what they are lining up to do and thus defeat his scheme to disrupt it. Without being told what to do, his players are hamstrung.

About the only solution to this is to rely more heavily on the players to see and observe what is shown to them. Gary must learn to trust his kids in these situations to make the right calls and judgments.

I have wondered for a while how Coach P has done without the grizzled old farts he had when he started at TCU, like Winder and Bumpas. Guys who could take him aside and say, "Listen, Gary, you're wrong on this..." whose opinions he would heed. With the retirement of what amounted to mentors, he has relied on himself. Sonny Dykes was a peer to whom he would listen to, but he's gone and pantsed Gary at the first chance he got.

I would hope that the good Coach took the lesson to heart, and take a critical look at his methods, judgments and routines. There are some adjustments to be made.

Eight

Like all games, there is an element of adjustments and adjustments to the adjustments. While Coach P is a savant and all, he has to realize that there's always a herd of people who are watching him and staying up nights to figure out how to beat him. Some have evidently figured out one way, and that is to take away the time he has to figure out what they are lining up to do and thus defeat his scheme to disrupt it. Without being told what to do, his players are hamstrung.

About the only solution to this is to rely more heavily on the players to see and observe what is shown to them. Gary must learn to trust his kids in these situations to make the right calls and judgments.

I have wondered for a while how Coach P has done without the grizzled old farts he had when he started at TCU, like Winder and Bumpas. Guys who could take him aside and say, "Listen, Gary, you're wrong on this..." whose opinions he would heed. With the retirement of what amounted to mentors, he has relied on himself. Sonny Dykes was a peer to whom he would listen to, but he's gone and pantsed Gary at the first chance he got.

I would hope that the good Coach took the lesson to heart, and take a critical look at his methods, judgments and routines. There are some adjustments to be made.

brewing it is interesting how people respond when a poster will ask who on the defensive staff will question gary about how things are done.

a number will act as if it is being inferred gary has a staff of yes men akin to:

o_brother_pardoned-102.jpg

gary has assembled a staff that i think does a very good job of teaching the system and a few of these guys have become very good recruiters.

i agree with you that there is a very real concern as to who is it on the defensive staff that will raise their hand in a meeting and raise questions about a scheme? that might challenge how things are being done or taught?

this gets compounded by the fact that entire defensive staff has basically spent their coaching careers under gary and the question then comes where do no ideas come from in that room?

Bob

Patterson and Cumbie both need to be running bleachers today. Maybe if Coach ran some of that lard off, he could think better on gameday.

dawg

Somebody from Oklahoma refresh my memory but it was either Mondays or Tuesdays when Mike Stoops and Lincoln Riley (and Brent Venables and others) spoke to the media. Was something that was a regular part of the program. And I'm on record many times saying that it should be that way anywhere there's a big time program and coaches are being developed for next-level work. Gil (and Mac if the headline is indicative of the content) correctly identifies what GP did here and it was petty.

I’m going to disagree. I wish that was the case but my gut tells me that this was emotional GP making a bad choice, or a series of bad choices. SC knows what a coach deals with in terms of people making judgments and open forum critiques. He’s been around the game long enough to have seen it before.

This was just poor leadership and GP showed his ass on this one. I hope to see him acknowledge this scheiss up and set about righting the ship.

Both of these. If Cumbie wasn't sent out to the press after the good gameplan and a great win at Stillwater in 2017 (two years ago today, btw), then he shouldn't have been sent out after a loss. If LHCGP is pissed at the OC, then he needs to address it internally. Either the assistants are always given media availability, or they never are. Throwing him out there for his first media availability after a loss looks bush league.

Both of these. If Cumbie wasn't sent out to the press after the good gameplan and a great win at Stillwater in 2017 (two years ago today, btw), then he shouldn't have been sent out after a loss. If LHCGP is pissed at the OC, then he needs to address it internally. Either the assistants are always given media availability, or they never are. Throwing him out there for his first media availability after a loss looks bush league.

In all fairness, you have no idea what has happened behind the scenes leading up to this point.

They may have already made a deal that if GP gave SC the slack that SC felt that he needed, then he would be responsible for the outcomes (either good or bad). If SC told GP that GP was holding him and his offense back, then maybe that's the deal they made...and so as such it was time for SC to pay the pied piper.

Mean Purple

The wait on defense to get them set up is long at times.

Mean Purple

In all fairness, you have no idea what has happened behind the scenes leading up to this point.

They may have already made a deal that if GP gave SC the slack that SC felt that he needed, then he would be responsible for the outcomes (either good or bad). If SC told GP that GP was holding him and his offense back, then maybe that's the deal they made...and so as such it was time for SC to pay the pied piper.
Could be.

Bruce Berry

Okay....I typically associate taking sides with teams or persons. I see your point. In this case I side with the position that what GP did was wrong...very wrong. And, the attitude of "siding with the person who built the program regardless" I find to be a very precarious position to be in.

I guess you could also look at it like he has been out front covering Sonny's ass for a long time and had enough.

I will always give GP the benefit of the doubt. He deserves it. Cumbie is getting paid and doing a poor job. I'm sure he is a nice guy but in my view he is way over his head in his role. Way over.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
i agree with you that there is a very real concern as to who is it on the defensive staff that will raise their hand in a meeting and raise questions about a scheme? that might challenge how things are being done or taught?

this gets compounded by the fact that entire defensive staff has basically spent their coaching careers under gary and the question then comes where do no ideas come from in that room?
Some new ideas would be nice. I also believe some breaking from the routine and self-critique is in order.

I will freely admit that I don't know diddley-squat when it comes to the inner dynamics of the staff, how meetings are run, or who does the talking. I do know that GP is a pretty intense guy personally, and that he doesn't suffer fools well. That would naturally lead to a reluctance among younger folk to confront the boss in any other organization.