• The KillerFrogs

Is SMU really a rival?

One Frog Nation

1974 Grad
There is no reason to play SMU nor has there been for 20 years. We should do the SEC bit and all three non conference games (4 for the SEC) should be home games only, or at least only rarely do a home and home.
There is no benefit to playing them, we get no credit for winning and take a big hit for losing. Notice in the polls today SMU is not ranked in either. That is because no one is giving them credit for the win only hitting us for the loss.

Armadillo

TCU class of 1994 baby!!

Hell no they aren't a rival (anymore!!!). I'm of the opinion we should give up this game on an annual basis. Not the most popular of opinions around here. But Felt that way since we joined the Big12.

But they sure as heck beat our ass yesterday.

FrogCop19

I would absolutely list them both as rivals. I have much more emotion attached to those two games than I do any other teams. It's great fun to play/beat Texas and OU, but rivals? No. I can't drum up the same emotion for those schools or othersC like OSU or Iowa St. or even Tech.

I went to TCU from 92-96 and worked there from 96-05.

SnoSki

Yes, 1976-1981
I'm glad we play them and think we should continue to play them, if for no other reason than it's an easy away game.

What if we had the opportunity to bring in another opponent to amon carter every season during “SMU week” instead?

Put more simply, what if we played another home game instead of going to SMU? I mean, if you’re getting to credit for the win regardless, why not play the game at home?

wilson912

Please answer with yes or no, and also the years you attended TCU (or would have if you attended).

I suspect that the dividing line between the yes and no crowds will be whether they attended TCU before 2000 or after.

My answer: no and 2005-2009. Cant think of anyone my age off hand who thinks of SMU as a rival in the same way they see Baylor.

Just curious to see the replies.

‘91-‘95. OF COURSE THEY ARE OUR RIVAL! Next question.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
FCS - home game every year (should be another G5 but good luck with that)
P5 - home and Home
G5 - rotate anyone willing to come to FW without a return trip. If SMU wants to be included so be it. But no Dallas trip.

Time it right and you get 7 home games every year. This is how season ticket holders get value.

Edit: and scheiss SMU. I don’t give a rat’s ass about their rivalry. They offer nothing.

Frog Wild

Ticket Exchange Pass
What if we had the opportunity to bring in another opponent to amon carter every season during “SMU week” instead?

Put more simply, what if we played another home game instead of going to SMU? I mean, if you’re getting to credit for the win regardless, why not play the game at home?
Who are you going to get to play here without a return game? Texas A&M Kingsville? Arkansas Pine Bluff (at least the band is entertaining)? UTSA? UTEP? Tarleton State?
Playing SMU in Dallas is like a home game. Why change that?

SnoSki

Who are you going to get to play here without a return game? Texas A&M Kingsville? Arkansas Pine Bluff (at least the band is entertaining)? UTSA? UTEP? Tarleton State?
Playing SMU in Dallas is like a home game. Why change that?

We could get any number of lower FBS teams to come here. Rice, University of North Texas, UTEP, New Mexico, LA Monroe, Texas State, etc. This is what the elite programs do instead of going to an away game at an AAC school every other year for the sake of “tradition.”

Another example: LSU and Tulane used to both be SEC teams but LSU doesn’t send their team to Tulane every 2 years.

Several good reasons to stop playing away games at SMU:
1) we get no media or playoff committee credit for a win of any margin less than 50 points
2) they pin their hopes on beating us and play all-out against us when for TCU it’s just another game. Other FBS teams would just play the game and get on with their lives.
3) we send 20,000+ fans to Dallas and they *might* send 1,000 to Fort Worth.
4) beating SMU doesn’t impress recruits, SMU beating TCU impresses recruits
5) we don’t get money from the big 12 tv deal when we play at SMU
6) playing a home game here instead of going to SMU is.. another home game here for our fans (which leads me to our next series of benefits)
7) TCU gets to sell 50,000 tickets for a home game
8) TCU gets more merch, alcohol, food, concession, parking sales income when we have another home game

Just a few I can think of right now

purpleeyefrog

No No and No!
A rivalry is a game where you get as much from a win as you lose from a loss. All good rivalries are between similar football powers that play similar schedules. Alabama/Auburn; Ohio State/Michigan; Texas/Texas A&M on and on. We are the only Power 5 school that SMU plays this year and most years. It is a big mistake to keep playing them. They picked the TCU/SMU game on College Game Day for the first time that I can remember because it was a TCU game. Why give them that much help?? We should try to attract every casual college football fan and high school student fan in the metroplex. Why create more competition by elevating a potential competitor? TCU
Football is product and we should market our product smartly in the metroplex. Would you go see TCU/OU or SMU/East Carolina? We are their Super Bowl and it does us NO good.

Double D

Tier 1
No. BS 1991, MBA 1993

Playing SMU is a lose-lose for TCU. TCU wins and it doesn't help TCU. Lose and it is a bad loss. TCU needs to drop SMU series. Pointless.

ECM

su·pe·ri·or·i·ty com·plex
noun
  1. an attitude of superiority which conceals actual feelings of inferiority and failure.

Showtime Joe 2.0

Yeah, those are natural rivals.
I would like to see us play a military academy every year though.
Sorry, but I don't want to see us play a military academy ever again. I was so happy to say farewell to Air Force when we left the MWC. While I have great respect for our military and for the young men who graduate from the academies, their teams run that damn option, which means you have to spend a lot of valuable practice time getting ready for it and then you have to watch your defensive players get cut-blocked every play for four quarters when you actually play them. Plus, there's no upside to beating them and always the possibility that you'll lose to them, as OU and Michigan nearly did the last couple of years. I generally root for the academies when I see them playing but, no, they're the last teams in the country that we need to put on our schedule.

tetonfrog

'94 grad

Yes to SMU. No to Baylor. I love the fact that GP has gone 15-3 against them. Losing to them drives us crazy. That is what a loss to a rival does.

I hate Art Briles - not Baylor. He is gone. Baylor will never be good again. Screw 'em. We never had legendary games against BU in our Golden Years in the '30s. SMU is part of our tradition. Keep the game.

I don't understand why we want more home games against the likes of Rice, UTEP, CSU or anyone that is not legit. It's not like Bama or USC are coming to FW and if they did, the game would end up at JerryWorld instead........just like Ohio State.