• The KillerFrogs

Wide Receiver Corps

West Coast Johnny

-Overall, I give the squad an F. They can't get open. They drop balls that hit them on the hands. Their success rate on so called 50/50 balls is about 10/90. (SMU WRs were way better on the 50/50 balls).

-Reagor is way overrated. 2 receptions for 2 yards. He was supposed to be a first round pick? He's one of the guys that can't get open.

-Recruiting at the position has been bust after bust so there is no help on the horizon. Since 2017 not one major contributed (except Reagor). Recruits included Omar Manning, Kennedy Snell, Al'Dontre Davis, Chase Van Wagoner and Bryson Jackson.

-Coaching - All of the above is because of bad coaching. Poor route running combined with poor catching ability is a good summary of our group.

-Scheme - You would think that with a true freshman QB, we would design a game plan that was easy to execute with quick- one read passes like screens & short passes. No, the game plan for SMU was drop back and pray for 1) the protection to hold out and 2) that the WR can get open (spoiler alert; they didn't).

-Tight End play is actually a positive. Pro Wells & Artavious Lynn played well. Too bad they are tight ends and are the weapon of last choice for Cumbie.

Moose Stuff

-Overall, I give the squad an F. They can't get open. They drop balls that hit them on the hands. Their success rate on so called 50/50 balls is about 10/90. (SMU WRs were way better on the 50/50 balls).

-Reagor is way overrated. 2 receptions for 2 yards. He was supposed to be a first round pick? He's one of the guys that can't get open.

-Recruiting at the position has been bust after bust so there is no help on the horizon. Since 2017 not one major contributed (except Reagor). Recruits included Omar Manning, Kennedy Snell, Al'Dontre Davis, Chase Van Wagoner and Bryson Jackson.

-Coaching - All of the above is because of bad coaching. Poor route running combined with poor catching ability is a good summary of our group.

-Scheme - You would think that with a true freshman QB, we would design a game plan that was easy to execute with quick- one read passes like screens & short passes. No, the game plan for SMU was drop back and pray for 1) the protection to hold out and 2) that the WR can get open (spoiler alert; they didn't).

-Tight End play is actually a positive. Pro Wells & Artavious Lynn played well. Too bad they are tight ends and are the weapon of last choice for Cumbie.

You can’t say recruiting has been bust after bust after bust and then blame all of it on poor coaching.

Froggish

Said it in another thread but Reagor is regularly getting behind defenses. He could easily have 6 TD's right now with better QB play.

The receivers as a whole can certainly be better (and Jalen can do a few things better himself), but JR is absolutely NOT the problem here.

Agreed...He’s getting open...Those back shoulder sideline routes and end zone fades are about the worst use of Reagor I’ve ever seen..He needs inside releases so he has the option to run by people inside or out..

I’d move him into the slot and out Hunt outside of him..Regardless we aren’t putting in positions to utilize his talents..Throwing jump balls to a 5-11 guy is stupidity at its finest

jake102

Said it in another thread but Reagor is regularly getting behind defenses. He could easily have 6 TD's right now with better QB play.

The receivers as a whole can certainly be better (and Jalen can do a few things better himself), but JR is absolutely NOT the problem here.

I’m not enamored with Reagor as an elite WR - but you are right. Duggan and Delton overthrow him every single time

Froggish

You can’t say recruiting has been bust after bust after bust and then blame all of it on poor coaching.

I don’t think recruiting is a bust...other teams are getting more production out of less talent...If someone is making me choose recruiting vs coaching..I’m going coaching on this one..The more talented team lost on Sat

West Coast Johnny

The coaches both picked the players and develop the players. So its all on the coaches... whether the players they picked aren't any good or the players they've tried to develop haven't... It doesn't matter, the end is that the WRs as a squad suck. Its all on the coaches.

MTfrog5

I’m not enamored with Reagor as an elite WR - but you are right. Duggan and Delton overthrow him every single time
Duggan needs to put just a tad more air on some of those throws so Reagor can run under it. Not the moon balls Sawyer threw but he has the arm strength to throw the ball with more arc and still get it down field

CountryFrog

Duggan needs to put just a tad more air on some of those throws so Reagor can run under it. Not the moon balls Sawyer threw but he has the arm strength to throw the ball with more arc and still get it down field
I thought he did a much better job this game putting air on his throws but he still missed badly on a couple that should've been TD's.

I think he'll get there, unfortunately for him and the team, we really need him to get there NOW or many of these offensive issues will continue. It's amazing howmuch hitting a couple deep balls will suddenly make the entire offense look much better.

SnoSki

Something that irritated me a lot yesterday was seeing SMU’s WRs routinely go up and high-point the ball and win contested catches. Their WRs (even when covered) knew how to go up and get their bodies into position before grabbing the ball with their hands.

Someone else said it well: we have WRs who look like Adonis and supposedly run like the wind but they’re not great at playing WR. At times you have to think it would be better to have a 4.7 guy who can catch va a 4.4 guy who lets the ball hit his chest pads/forearms.

McFroggin

Reagor lost at least 2 battles for big plays yesterday. Passes were right on the money. You can argue that Reagor couldn’t get separation or he can’t high point the ball. Was he overthrown a couple times as well? Yes, but Reagor is not a first round draft pick if he can’t land balls that hit him in the hands.

Wexahu

Reagor lost at least 2 battles for big plays yesterday. Passes were right on the money. You can argue that Reagor couldn’t get separation or he can’t high point the ball. Was he overthrown a couple times as well? Yes, but Reagor is not a first round draft pick if he can’t land balls that hit him in the hands.

I don’t think he’s a first round draft pick, but I also have a hunch he’s going to declare for the draft after this year no matter where he’s projected to be picked.

Volare

I don’t think he’s a first round draft pick, but I also have a hunch he’s going to declare for the draft after this year no matter where he’s projected to be picked.

Yeah, I was contemplating this regarding our Juniors who might declare early but are underperforming so far. Stick around another year and try to improve draft status? Or bail early and get out of this [ Finebaum ] show since next year is likely to be more of the same?

MadFrog

Reagor is great IF HE HAS THE BALL. Getting him the ball is the problem. He is just like every other TCU receiver we have - they can't get open. So having Reagor do punt returns and reverses is the best our coaches can create. As a pro receiver, forget it.

4th. down

Our 2 best receivers combined netted 2 yds. total - Reagor and Barber. You don't need to go any further about our passing attack - this was an impossible fictitious fact, but no it wasn't - reality can be brutal.

Eight

Our 2 best receivers combined netted 2 yds. total - Reagor and Barber. You don't need to go any further about our passing attack - this was an impossible fictitious fact, but no it wasn't - reality can be brutal.

did barber even play?

as far as reagor smu basically pressed him from the line with a safety over the top.

same thing everyone is going to do until they start moving him around, put him in motion, or put him in the freaking slot off the line where he can't be jammed.

i have never understood why they have played him on the line of scrimmage throughout his career.

netty2424

did barber even play?

as far as reagor smu basically pressed him from the line with a safety over the top.

same thing everyone is going to do until they start moving him around, put him in motion, or put him in the freaking slot off the line where he can't be jammed.

i have never understood why they have played him on the line of scrimmage throughout his career.
Yes barber played.