• The KillerFrogs

The Sewo Pass Play

Punter1

This is why I started a post last week rhat said....NO MORE WILDFROG!! It just leads to stupidass decisions....

This playcall today was VERY similar to the Kyle Hicks Darned Up pass to Cole Hunt on 4th and goal against OSU in 2016. Both ended the same way.

Quit trying to be scheissing cute and run the ball normally.

SuperTFrog

I heard someone defending the play call as something SMU wouldn't expect. Of course they wouldn't expect it! It was stupid. They also wouldn't expect it if our team played the game with a razor blade clenched between their butt cheeks. Doesn't mean we should do it.
They certainly wouldn’t expect a 4th down fake punt flea flicker either...

SuperTFrog

This is why I started a post last week rhat said....NO MORE WILDFROG!! It just leads to stupidass decisions....

This playcall today was VERY similar to the Kyle Hicks Darned Up pass to Cole Hunt on 4th and goal against OSU in 2016. Both ended the same way.

Quit trying to be scheissing cute and run the ball normally.
Was that the one where we had Turpin lined up in a sprinter stance parallel with the line of scrimmage? We called timeout and then ran the exact same play. Loved that play!

Punter1

I wonder what everyone would be saying if they bit on it and he lobbed it to the receiver standing wide open in the end zone? I get it, bad call and I didn’t like it either but hindsight is pretty awesome.

I would have said WHAT THE DARN IS THAT!!! Exactly what I said when it predictably went sideways....as soon as I saw the WildFrog I said Darn, What the Darn....

That play had a 10% success rate...at darning best....

If, I mean if, if, if, if, darning if.......you are gonna run that darned up play....do it on 2nd or 3rd down so you have a play to recover and run something to actually get the 1st down....

Wexahu

I would have said WHAT THE DARN IS THAT!!! Exactly what I said when it predictably went sideways....as soon as I saw the WildFrog I said Darn, What the Darn....

That play had a 10% success rate...at darning best....

If, I mean if, if, if, if, darning if.......you are gonna run that darned up play....do it on 2nd or 3rd down so you have a play to recover and run something to actually get the 1st down....

Totally agree that’s a 3rd down call if you do it at all. It was odd, SMU was actually stacking the D on the opposite side prior to the snap, not sure if they were trying to bait us into something or not, but good god, right after the snap it was doomed, no chance at all that thing was gonna work. Seemed like Sewo got the ball 8 yards behind the LOS.

SuperTFrog

I wonder what everyone would be saying if they bit on it and he lobbed it to the receiver standing wide open in the end zone? I get it, bad call and I didn’t like it either but hindsight is pretty awesome.
Another swing and a miss from Wexahu. Everybody hates the Wild Frog and has for years. When it works, we all breathe a sigh of relief.

BABYFACE

I would have said its a dumb arse call that somehow worked out. You are 4th and 1 inside the red zone which means you are going to get run blitzed with man coverage on the corners. In other words none of the backers and DBS you want to trick with the cute running back rollout will be fooled cuz the backers are flying and the dbs aren't looking in the backfield anyways. Kick the FG or run a conventional damn play

Preach on

Punter1

I would have said its a dumb arse call that somehow worked out. You are 4th and 1 inside the red zone which means you are going to get run blitzed with man coverage on the corners. In other words none of the backers and DBS you want to trick with the cute running back rollout will be fooled cuz the backers are flying and the dbs aren't looking in the backfield anyways. Kick the FG or run a conventional damn play

Hell yea...this [ Finebaum ] only works against nosey corners or safeties in man.

That corner covering whoever the darn was the target didnt even know what was going on behind the LOS.

As soon as we saw it was man coverage...like, as you said, was gonna happen 99% of the time in that situation, it should have been called off.

The ONLY way that play works is the Tebow pop pass to a TE catching a LB in man coverage with TE responsibilities rushing the line when he sees the ball carrier take a few steps up.

But you're not gonna fool a CB who is deadass locked in on a WR.

Once again...the WildFrog blows...we HAVE an EXPERIENCED, ACCOMPLISHED former Bowl Game MVP running QB. Let him darning do it!! Or let him throw it....no let him run it...F throwing it there at all..ever. Its 1 yard...if you wanna be fancy fine...just make sure its a darning run.

6'3, 245 RB throwing against a small Dline on 4th an 1 behind a strong experienced OL. Let that sink in Cumbie....so darning bad.

Jason Garrett's 3rd and 1, [ muschi ] play-action pass ass said that was a terrible call...

Punter1

Plays that would have been better that Sewo abortion....

1. Fake FG with big ass Auzzie holder running over someone...or optioning to Song..
2. Fake Punt. Never would expect that formation inside the 20...
3. Handing off the D Davis up the middle. If the biggest guy on the team can throw...the littlest guy can run. WTDarn...
4. Another unoriginal, predictable, never successful fade route...
5. Coulda brought in Ol Lead Foot Justin Rogers to stand back like a statue and pick apart the defense in a 5 wide look. Maybe that will get him to not transfer out after this season...
6. Putting hungry freahlegs D Barlow behind Duggan or Delton...nah, that makes too much sense...
7. Swinging gate, fumblerooskie play Tulane did against Houston....I mean it was a run..and it worked...
8. Short side option. Hell any option. Delton has to be able to do that. Nah...lets save that for Big 12 play and let Sewo throw it..
9. Play action pass to DA, Wells holds his block for a second and sneaks into the flat...whoa, that makes way too much sense...
10. Put Delton under center and have Sewo BushPush him through the South endzone....that is actually a legal play now....

Wexahu

Another swing and a miss from Wexahu. Everybody hates the Wild Frog and has for years. When it works, we all breathe a sigh of relief.

I’ve been on record saying I’ve hated it from the beginning so not sure what you’re saying. I’ve been ripped before for saying I hate it. It’s especially stupid when your QB is a decent and capable runner.

Wexahu

1. Fake FG with big ass Auzzie holder running over someone...or optioning to Song..
3. Handing off the D Davis up the middle. If the biggest guy on the team can throw...the littlest guy can run. WTDarn...
5. Coulda brought in Ol Lead Foot Justin Rogers to stand back like a statue and pick apart the defense in a 5 wide look. Maybe that will get him to not transfer out after this season...
6. Putting hungry freahlegs D Barlow behind Duggan or Delton...nah, that makes too much sense...
7. Swinging gate, fumblerooskie play Tulane did against Houston....I mean it was a run..and it worked...
8. Short side option. Hell any option. Delton has to be able to do that. Nah...lets save that for Big 12 play and let Sewo throw it..
9. Play action pass to DA, Wells holds his block for a second and sneaks into the flat...whoa, that makes way too much sense...
10. Put Delton under center and have Sewo BushPush him through the South endzone....that is actually a legal play now....

As for the fake punt there, as far back as Sewo took the snap that is basically what it looked like more than anything else. No kidding.

Moose Stuff

Lining up under center and just taking a knee would also have been better. Song and the Aussie running the option is good stuff. I’d like to have seen that.

puckster59

Hindsight is always 20-20. Last week multiple posters were complaining that the wildcat ALWAYS has Sewo running right and there’s no imagination to it. I’ll say yet again, though: You want to be a championship team? Start lining up and knocking the other scheissing guy backwards and gaining a scheissing yard.

Pharm Frog

Lining up under center and just taking a knee would also have been better. Song and the Aussie running the option is good stuff. I’d like to have seen that.

Since Song can’t even routinely catch a toss from an assistant from 3 yards in pregame, I have doubts that the Aussie to Song option would have been better but it might not have cost us 6 lost yards.

TCUWIN

Hell, I was one of them. Well, not in that thread, I just griped about how damn predictable we were in that formation. I just wasn’t expecting the .01% chance of running a different version/pass from that would be used in that situation.

I still don’t think my brain has fully comprehended what my eyes witnessed.
I was one that said it needed a pass off it. I think it was stupid for a couple of reasons, the biggest was because Dukes was here as analyst while they practiced the dang play. Don’t you think they worked on it since he knew how much Cumbie likes to run that formation. That pass might have worked against any other team...but not a dykes’ coached Smu team. Stupidnplay call!!!

Punter1

Yep...the Ol' Victory Formation play. Forgot about that one. Much better option then that Sewo BS.

This play cost us the game...just like that Kyle Hicks pass play against OSU in 2016 right before half. How about we shelve the RB pass play all together...

Having a 6-3 245 LB running back pass with a big good offensive line against a smaller weaker DL is like having Shaquille O'Neal shoot 3 pointers against Angola....or whatever African team we beat by 100.

Line up with an 8 man line...identify where the run blitz is coming from and audible away from it. Boykin or whoever OC calling plays did it all the time in short yardage. Pretty darning simple with 2 great RBs, a very good OL and a badass running QB. Especially against a weak DL.

Man I darning hate idiotic coaching decisions....even when they work (which is rare) I hate them...

TCUWIN

Totally agree that’s a 3rd down call if you do it at all. It was odd, SMU was actually stacking the D on the opposite side prior to the snap, not sure if they were trying to bait us into something or not, but good god, right after the snap it was doomed, no chance at all that thing was gonna work. Seemed like Sewo got the ball 8 yards behind the LOS.
They were probably stacking the backside knowing the running play is so slow that they could get a linebacker to run through unblocked and run it down from the backside. And he did...not that it was needed.