• The KillerFrogs

You can’t logically be mad at Cumbie and NOT GP also

Froggish

One of the issues that GP is being faced with is that his 4-2-5 has been figured out. In fact it’s been figured out to the point that it’s being run by damn near every team in CFB. It’s a testament to his genius. Unfortunately what’s a mystery in the world becomes known over time. I still think he calls a game better than most but offenses are seeing these concepts all day everyday..The expectations for a GP defense to dominate every week like its 2009 is a ridiculous expectation. Every team in the entire country MUST have an offense to compliment its defense to win...We See TT and Okie Light are always average because they can’t find defenses that can compliment there Offense. Having talent and being well coached on BOTH sides of the ball is necessary to win championships.

OU has been the only team in the modern era who has had big success being imbalanced and I would submit its only because of how much talent they’ve attracted and how advanced Lincoln is at getting the exact matchup he wants

That’s a long way of say...Yah it’s as much GP/defense fault as Cumbie’s but GP is clearly miles a head of Cumbie in both coaching, scheme, teaching, and calling the playbook but both have to find a balance to compliment each other or we will continue to drive a nail into GPs legacy

frog-hat

We See TT and Okie Light are always average because they can’t find defenses that can compliment there Offense. Having talent and being well coached on BOTH sides of the ball is necessary to win championships.
I think we have a losing record against both since joining the big 12

netty2424

Wore our Defense down? We were down 15 7 and a half minutes into the game.

Not happy about either side of the ball. Yes smu is better than they have been....buts that's an extremely low hurdle. If we want to justify losing a home game to a G5 team then it seems we have lowered our goals and expectations significantly.

The D was terrible. Our offense, while not outright terrible, was inefficient and sloppy.

And some of the things we are seeing have been an issue for multiple years. At a certain point its beyond the realm of probability to be young, injured, careless, sloppy, outplayed and outcoached every year.

Hope I'm wrong but this game gave me zero reason to be optimistic about the rest of the year.

Agree. Something is off and it’s not correcting itself, and it’s not being corrected by the coaching staffs, on either side of the ball.

This program is in a weird place. We continue to land better and better recruiting classes and supposedly better athletes, yet the feast or famine seasons don’t seem to support that theory. And fans seem to be losing interest. That turnout today was a scheissing embarrassment. Holy ship when Texas comes to town how orange this stadium will be.

Didn’t we have some “big time” recruits in today? I’d imagine our coaches get some ‘new phone who dis’ responses tomorrow.

Froggish

I think we have a losing record against both since joining the big 12

Throw out the first 2 years when we were raising our talent level and depth to Big 12 standards and it’s been close to a push. Regardless, those teams have not been better then us according to records. We have had offensive problems for 5 of our 7 years since joining the league. Now in year 8 we are back at it..

dawg

GP needs a DC and some defensive minds on staff that will talk back to him and not be yes guys. Everyone on his defensive staff is learning from Patterson, no people on his staff to give some new insight. Sure his staff is good. But you need to have other voices that are very experienced to add a different flavor in game planning and with adjustments.

Same with offensive coordinator and staff. Got to get some experience. Dykes taught Cumbie. The gameplan today had no creativity or anything different that Dykes hasn't already seen or taught Cumbie. Time to bring in some guys with a new twist on offense.

Yep. Whether it was bouncing ideas off GP and making the d-line calls, Dick Bumpass left a huge void that hasn’t been filled.

ftwfrog

Throw out the first 2 years when we were raising our talent level and depth to Big 12 standards and it’s been close to a push. Regardless, those teams have not been better then us according to records. We have had offensive problems for 5 of our 7 years since joining the league. Now in year 8 we are back at it..
I still laugh at our “offensive problems” after putting up 38 points.

GP needs a DC and some defensive minds on staff that will talk back to him and not be yes guys. Everyone on his defensive staff is learning from Patterson, no people on his staff to give some new insight. Sure his staff is good. But you need to have other voices that are very experienced to add a different flavor in game planning and with adjustments.

Same with offensive coordinator and staff. Got to get some experience. Dykes taught Cumbie. The gameplan today had no creativity or anything different that Dykes hasn't already seen or taught Cumbie. Time to bring in some guys with a new twist on offense.
Good luck with all that!

nwlafrog

Agree. Something is off and it’s not correcting itself, and it’s not being corrected by the coaching staffs, on either side of the ball.

This program is in a weird place. We continue to land better and better recruiting classes and supposedly better athletes, yet the feast or famine seasons don’t seem to support that theory. And fans seem to be losing interest. That turnout today was a scheissing embarrassment. Holy ship when Texas comes to town how orange this stadium will be.

Didn’t we have some “big time” recruits in today? I’d imagine our coaches get some ‘new phone who dis’ responses tomorrow.

Attendance looked really bad on TV.

Fortress Frog

I still laugh at our “offensive problems” after putting up 38 points.
Would totally agree if this same unit wasn’t continually giving points back to the opponent and putting our defense In bad position time and time again.

And.... has proven, in the moment of truth, that they are incapable of winning the freaking game (see last drive. Also see Tech game last year).

SnoSki

Didn’t read every line of this thread so, sorry if this has been mentioned already.

It came to my
Attendance looked really bad on TV.

I think it’s tough how the tv cameras only see the aide of the stadium that bakes in the sun on day games in September.

The crowd was decent given the opponent, the temps and the circumstances around our team.

Obviously I wish it was difficult to find a seat for every game but we aren’t the only ones facing these issues. Ours are just more apparent because the tv cameras are all mounted on the shady side where a lot
more of ours fans are.

Mean Purple

Would totally agree if this same unit wasn’t continually giving points back to the opponent and putting our defense In bad position time and time again.

And.... has proven, in the moment of truth, that they are incapable of winning the freaking game (see last drive. Also see Tech game last year).
Can't have those turnovers. Put's D in an bad spot. Also, have to come away with point sin the red zone … hopefully, touchdowns. And I am not just talking today, We had serious issues early against APB. It was not all that pretty the first half on O at Purdue.

There is not denying the play calling has been a mess. And it goes back 3 years. Some of the stuff in the 2017 big 12 champ game was just unexplainable. But, now it has become predictable. Everybody basically holding their breath when we get the ball on O. Defensive Coordinators at other schools have to find this easier to scheme for.