• The KillerFrogs

No surprise, but Cowherd is an [Craig James] Clown

steelfrog

Tier 1
2314 makes his living in sports. But like steel, the person who pens as 2314 loves history documentaries, especially docs done by the great Ken Burns. 2314 wishes steel's opine on Mr. Burns.

Ken Burns is ok; Steel is a book nerd, so most of Steel's time is spent reading, as opposed to time spent listening to or watching things. Among favorite authors are Max Hastings, Rick Atkinson, Alex Kershaw, Ian Toll, James Hornfischer, Adam Makos. We are really lucky right now to have a good number of skillful writers working in military history.

Eight

This is why I stopped listening to almost all sports tv/radio or reading sports websites.

The easily digestible stuff (like radio shows, ESPN talks shows) usually just aren’t that smart or interesting.

And anything that may long form stuff that may be done well...well I figure if I’d have that much time, I should spend it on something more important that sports-related content.

Like, 30 for 30’s are probably well done...but I really don’t care to spend one or two hours watching a Dennis Rodman documentary and whoever.

438caebb163c4aacb70371735680814d.gif

Moose Stuff

Unbelievable

This is hysterical. Can’t scheissing stand this prick. I’ve heard him use the phrase “all hat and no cattle “ and the irony of it is that’s EXACTLY what he is..... all style and literally zero substance. I’d pay good money to see someone punch him right in the brain.

jack the frog

He is very entertaining. Simple as that. His unapologetic buffoonery is funny.

None of these folks are particularly elucidating in terms of the information they provide. And certainly, SAS is mostly an NBA guy, which Steel has not much use for the NBA.

The real best sports guys are more in the journalist vein -- the guys who do longer stories, but you gotta have time to listen to them. There are literally none of those on daytime or nighttime radio. Steel can listen to podcasts when on long runs or walks, and in that case it's Bill Simmons or ESPN 30for30 podcasts. If sports at all, which it rarely is. Sports, quite frankly, is superfluous and dumb. Spending a lot of time on sports consumption identifies you as either someone with not much going on, or a moron. Steel normally listens to history podcasts or something like Revisionist History, or My History Beats Your Politics.

Try Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History.

This is why I stopped listening to almost all sports tv/radio or reading sports websites.

The easily digestible stuff (like radio shows, ESPN talks shows) usually just aren’t that smart or interesting.

And anything that may be long form stuff that may be done well...well I figure if I’d have that much time, I should spend it on something more important than sports-related content.

Like, 30 for 30’s are probably well done...but I really don’t care to spend one or two hours watching a Dennis Rodman documentary and whoever.
There is enough variety in the 30 for 30s for everyone. Yes, sports talk too saturated, and of course on TV, they play toward the lower of intellects. But reading a good, long sports piece is not a waste of time.

Frog-in-law1995

There is enough variety in the 30 for 30s for everyone. Yes, sports talk too saturated, and of course on TV, they play toward the lower of intellects. But reading a good, long sports piece is not a waste of time.

Trying to find one usually is.

But then, maybe I shouldn’t comment. I do spend an awful lot of time on this site.

Realtorfrog

Just had another thought, sorry for not starting a thread: If I want entertaining sports radio, I'll tune in on a road trip during football season in some remote parts of the state and catch some Friday night football. Country boys doing the broadcast of Podunk High Football can be some great stuff.

Greatness for sure!! I love when the fans call in to give a live update from the game.