• The KillerFrogs

DMN: 5 things TCU fans need to know about SMU: It's been a long time since SMU started off this hot

Moose Stuff

TCU needs to be ready to play. This is a rivalry game for SMU and they do have a better than average team. Plus, we still don't know what type of team we will have. In addition, this is a big game for TCU to workout the kinks before conference play. We need to show we are growing as a football club every week if we are to challenge teams like OU later in the season.

I would argue they actually have a VERY average team (which is drastic progress).

BigPurple87

Why do we have to do this every year. It's the same thing, SMU starts to think they have a chance because they beat Texas State or somebody and then we have to put little brother in his place, it's the same thing every year and they maybe get a win per decade

NewFrogFan

What happened 8 and 14 years ago means what to this game exactly? But if you want to play that game, this TCU team would hammer both those TCU teams.

I think the receivers from 2005 would differ with you, they could and did catch the ball. Jason Phillips just laughed at your post.

H0RNEDFR0G

In many ways 2005 was the worst defeat since I started following TCU in 2001, followed closely by Baylor in 2014.

Worst beat I've witnessed was 2004 TCU @ Texas Tech.

TCU goes up 21-0 midway through the 2nd quarter, then we proceed to let up 56 points unanswered. Final score 70-35... woof.

This savage beating was avenged 10 years later, when we dropped 82 on them in the Carter.

True Story: the entire season's stock of fireworks was depleted that day; and we still had 2 more home games.

This season looks eerily similar to 2014:
  • In 2014 we opened against FCS Samford and won 48-14 (UAPB: 39-7)
  • Our second game was against B1G Minnesota: 30-7 (Purdue: 34-13)
  • Third game: SMU 56-0. The largest MOV in series history

Last edited:

Purp

TCU goes up 21-0 midway through the 2nd quarter, then we proceed to let up 56 points unanswered. Final score 70-35... woof.

This savage beating was avenged 10 years later, when we dropped 82 on them in the Carter.

True Story: the entire season's stock of fireworks was depleted that day; and we still had 2 more home games.

I think 12-3 avenged it quite well. First time a Leach offense hadn't scored a TD in a game, IIRC.

Last edited:

ThisIsOurTime

Just one hill? I mean, TCU extends across a number of hills. Is the SMU campus that small?

Yeah, it kind of is. They would like to expand their campus around its existing location but it is nightmare because of the prices of real estate in the Park Cities and practically everything is packed in and already developed. So they have started to expand beyond Central Expressway in Dallas.

https://blog.smu.edu/smumagazine/2016/05/smu-continues-expansion-east-of-central-expressway/

Froglaw

Dammit I came here trying to do "In before Steel." Fail.

I like that there are so many fawning articles about smoo's awesomeness. I want to see our lads hyped for this game.

I hate our attitude for this game. I know CGP goes nuts trying to get the Frogs motivated but we always fall for the first trick play out of the box, fumble the ball on a run play, throw an interception, and need a defensive score to win. All in the first half.

Makes me want to go sit on a fire ant mound.

For once let's hit these a?!holes hard and drive them into the dirt.

I hate SMU with the passion of a thousand blazing Suns.

Frog-in-law1995

I hate our attitude for this game. I know CGP goes nuts trying to get the Frogs motivated but we always fall for the first trick play out of the box, fumble the ball on a run play, throw an interception, and need a defensive score to win. All in the first half.

Makes me want to go sit on a fire ant mound.

For once let's hit these a?!holes hard and drive them into the dirt.

I hate SMU with the passion of a thousand blazing Suns.

Are you talking about the team we’ve beaten by 30, 20, 30, 19 and 56 points over the last 5 years?

NewFrogFan

My “worst” thoughts had to do with what the loss meant at the end of the season, not just a plain ol azz kicking.

Latest posts