• The KillerFrogs

Treading Water

Froggish

How does any of this suggest Duggan has a better command of the offense than Dalton did after 2 games?

It doesn’t..I retract my statement but it’s pretty clear that he understands really well what we are trying to accomplish..Can’t say that about very many true Freshman. Especially those who have to split all their practice reps with sometimes 2-3 others.

Can we at least agree that we haven’t seen a deer in the headlights moment out of Duggan yet?..Again, Im not saying he’s going to be great. I’m just saying he isn’t doing anything at this point that would tell us he’s not on track..

Ron Swanson

Boykin was clutch. Can’t teach that.

Not saying Duggan isn’t, he just hasn’t had to prove that yet. Yes going to Purdue and getting a w is huge and command of the offense is impressive as a true freshman, but the run game carried him in Indiana.

There are plenty of really good QB’s that aren’t killers. I’m talking clutch. Being down late to KSU and breaking off a 75 yard run for a TD, clutch.
Obviously Duggan hasn’t proven his clutchness yet, but he gives off the confident vibe of a guy who will be clutch once he develops as the guy over the coming years.

Purp

Obviously Duggan hasn’t proven his clutchness yet, but he gives off the confident vibe of a guy who will be clutch once he develops as the guy over the coming years.
I agree. He feels clutch already and he hasn't had to be yet.

I think this is the difference I'm seeing between freshman Duggan and freshman Dalton. I didn't "just know" AD was going to be one of the best TCU QBs ever when he was a freshman. There were a lot of times I wondered if he would play as much as a senior as he did as a redshirt freshman simply because a better guy might come in before he graduated. Max has a level of confidence in his decision making out there that makes me comfortable with him in a way I never was with Andy until maybe half way through his junior year.

To be clear, I'm not certain Baldwin (or Rogers) don't end up performing better at some point and beat Duggan out so I'm not announcing I think he'll win the Heisman his junior year and the the first pick in the draft. But Duggan through two games leaves us with the impression he is in total control out there unlike most freshmen I've ever seen. He's not executing on all of his passes yet, but he's reading blitzes, advancing through his progressions calmly in the pocket, escaping the pocket under control when appropriate with his head down field, and making smart decisions to either take a sack when nothing is there or throw it to a place it can't be picked off. Andy didn't do that nearly as well his first couple of years as starter.

In other words, he isn't making freshman mistakes as a true freshman; he's making execution mistakes that KH was still making as a senior. I think that's where we're seeing so much upside potential. Max appears to be starting as a true freshman from a much more advanced place than any other freshman we've seen. And the fact that he's this advanced on the cerebral parts of the game with such a natural live arm you have a hard time believing he doesn't possess the work ethic to correct the execution piece and become really outstanding.

Last edited:

Frog-in-law1995

It doesn’t..I retract my statement but it’s pretty clear that he understands really well what we are trying to accomplish..Can’t say that about very many true Freshman. Especially those who have to split all their practice reps with sometimes 2-3 others.

Can we at least agree that we haven’t seen a deer in the headlights moment out of Duggan yet?..Again, Im not saying he’s going to be great. I’m just saying he isn’t doing anything at this point that would tell us he’s not on track..

Agree with all that. I’m all in on Duggan. Just thought Andy understood the offense exceptionally well for a (redshirt) freshman too, despite some mistakes.

4th. down

I agree. He feels clutch already and he hasn't had to be yet.

I think this is the difference I'm seeing between freshman Duggan and freshman Dalton. I didn't "just know" AD was going to be one of the best TCU QBs ever when he was a freshman. There were a lot of times I wondered if he would play as much as a senior as he did as a redshirt freshman simply because a better guy might come in before he graduated. Max has a level of confidence in his decision making out there that makes me comfortable with him in a way I never was with Andy until maybe half way through his junior year.

To be clear, I'm not certain Baldwin (or Rogers) don't end up performing better at some point and beat Duggan out so I'm not announcing I think he'll win the Heisman his junior year and the the first pick in the draft. But Duggan through two games leaves us with the impression he is in total control out there unlike most freshmen I've ever seen. He's not executing on all of his passes yet, but he's reading blitzes, advancing through his progressions calmly in the pocket, escaping the pocket under control with his head down field when appropriate, and making smart decisions to either take a sack when nothing is there or throw it to a place it can't be picked off. Andy didn't do that nearly as well his first couple of years as starter.

In other words, he isn't making freshman mistakes as a true freshman; he's making execution mistakes that KH was still making as a senior. I think that's where we're seeing so much upside potential. Max appears to be starting as a true freshman from a much more advanced place than any other freshman we've seen. And the fact that he's this advanced on the cerebral parts of the game with such a natural live arm you have a hard time believing he doesn't possess the work ethic to correct the execution piece and become really outstanding.

"Max appears to be starting as a true freshman from a much more advanced place than any other freshman we've seen." This is where it is.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Boykin was clutch. Can’t teach that.

Not saying Duggan isn’t, he just hasn’t had to prove that yet. Yes going to Purdue and getting a w is huge and command of the offense is impressive as a true freshman, but the run game carried him in Indiana.

There are plenty of really good QB’s that aren’t killers. I’m talking clutch. Being down late to KSU and breaking off a 75 yard run for a TD, clutch.

How quickly people have forgotten the "panic scramble" phase of Boykin's TCU career.

Ron Swanson

How quickly people have forgotten the "panic scramble" phase of Boykin's TCU career.
Not to rehash 6 year old arguments, but that was all overblown IMO.

He was playing behind a terrible OL in a completely and utterly abysmally-coordinated offense that no QB could have succeeded in. He had no option but to “panic scramble” on almost every pass play.

And if you go back and watch some of those games (the 2013 game @ OU comes to mind, but there were others) he almost single-handedly brings us back with tons of clutch plays.

TCURiggs

Not to rehash 6 year old arguments, but that was all overblown IMO.

He was playing behind a terrible OL in a completely and utterly abysmally-coordinated offense that no QB could have succeeded in. He had no option but to “panic scramble” on almost every pass play.

And if you go back and watch some of those games (the 2013 game @ OU comes to mind, but there were others) he almost single-handedly brings us back with tons of clutch plays.

You new here?

OmniscienceFrog

So Duggan is the main QB without a title of starter. He needs to perform better to get that endorsement. But ...will he. He is a true freshman and Dalton I believe was a redshirt. Don't get me wrong I love his upside and I am pulling for the guy. I just wish Patterson would reveal what he truly is considering. And that will never happen so... we are treading water for another week or as Patterson said the entire season. It drives you nutz.
So, just what is it you want to see and more specifically, why do you need to see it?

Christcu

So Duggan is the main QB without a title of starter. He needs to perform better to get that endorsement. But ...will he. He is a true freshman and Dalton I believe was a redshirt. Don't get me wrong I love his upside and I am pulling for the guy. I just wish Patterson would reveal what he truly is considering. And that will never happen so... we are treading water for another week or as Patterson said the entire season. It drives you nutz.
Relax