• The KillerFrogs

building from this game, what do you want to see from this team?

Froggish

agree with the idea that the two quarterback rotation in practice and the game isn't helping the development of the offense.

i just don't see what is to be gained from the continued reps w alex.

some talk about making opponents prepare for both which I just don't buy. there is a difference in the offense with max on the field versus alex and you can see it on the field.

focus the run game on the senior running backs, give max the reps
, and as philly pointed out i am interested if baldwin or collins push for time.

Hate to see a QB competition push into next year as that QB is going to be operating behind a very suspect O-Line with 2 brand new RBs..If a few young players don’t emerge, the offense on paper, looks to be really rough next year.

This is a year we need to capitalize on all our experience..We started 4 Seniors on the OL, 1 WR, and 2 RBs..If Reagor chooses to declare we will need well above average QB play to stay out of the ditch..

jake102

I see us running basically the same offense whether Delton or Duggan is in the game, so yes, I don't buy it either. We aren't really utilizing Delton's running ability a great deal when he is in there, and honestly I think I maybe overestimated what he can do on the ground because just from the eye test, he doesn't look all that dynamic running the ball.

Agreed. He got talked up like he’s Lamar Jackson running the ball but doesn’t look all that great to me. He also is subpar at choosing when to give/take.

Eight

I see us running basically the same offense whether Delton or Duggan is in the game, so yes, I don't buy it either. We aren't really utilizing Delton's running ability a great deal when he is in there, and honestly I think I maybe overestimated what he can do on the ground because just from the eye test, he doesn't look all that dynamic running the ball.

agree, to me the biggest thing he brings to the table is he is a senior, but in all honesty i haven't seen that translate to play on the field in his decision making.

CryptoMiner

The passing offense is atrocious at best. Neither Duggan or Delton appear ready for the conference schedule and I would have liked to see more of the other QBs while we had a chance. maybe against SMU?

Duggan makes solid decisions but does not grasp the finer passing techniques. His deep ball is on a rope and overthrew some wide open receivers downfield the first two games. Delton just does not seem to grasp the offense at all.

Duggan needs more than reps, he needs more instruction.

Eight

The passing offense is atrocious at best. Neither Duggan or Delton appear ready for the conference schedule and I would have liked to see more of the other QBs while we had a chance. maybe against SMU?

Duggan makes solid decisions but does not grasp the finer passing techniques. His deep ball is on a rope and overthrew some wide open receivers downfield the first two games. Delton just does not seem to grasp the offense at all.

Duggan needs more than reps, he needs more instruction.

hard to disagree on the state of the passing game.

if tcu wants to finish in the top of the conference they absolutely have to be able to throw the ball. they don't need 300+ yards a game, but they need to be effective.

here is the tough part and the part i am not sure gary is ready to commit to giving max the practice and game snaps. he made comments about not going through a situation like last year with robinson, but how does a young quarterback develop if he doesn't get the bulk of the practice and game reps.

this gets even more complicated if you start to mix in collins and baldwin.

Limp Lizard

We will have to start passing well. Remember the old, time tested strategy: sell out stopping the run and dare the QB to beat you passing. Works a lot.

However, I think Duggan is a lot closer to passing very well than many here seem to think. Two partial games and people can foresee his entire college career. Sheesh!

Volare

There was a time in the 3rd quarter that the running game was smoking and I think Cumbie/GP wanted to try and get the passing game going. So they did 3 passes in a row and punted. After that it was back to the road grader and things continued nicely. But yeah, they gotta get that figured out.

Speaking to this weeks game, I sincerely hope that the team that traveled to Indiana and smacked the Big 10 will show up at AGCS on Saturday. So many times for the SMU game the Frogs seem to just come out super flat, while SMU is ready for their Super Bowl, and we end up with a game that is tied or behind at halftime. If there is going to be time to work on the passing offense, the whole team will need to be ready to go from the opening whistle.

Wexahu

We will have to start passing well. Remember the old, time tested strategy: sell out stopping the run and dare the QB to beat you passing. Works a lot.

However, I think Duggan is a lot closer to passing very well than many here seem to think. Two partial games and people can foresee his entire college career. Sheesh!

Yep, anyone who thinks we'll just be able to line up and run it down people's throats are delusional. Doing it against Purdue is one thing, try doing it against most of the balance of the schedule and we'll be in a ton of 3rd and 5 type situations. And I know that whenever we try and run the ball on 3rd and 5 and it doesn't work everyone has a fit.

Froggish

All things considered, I'm pretty darn happy with Duggan...We are sitting at 2-0 after a dominating performance of another P5 program. Last year all our KF post were about how our QB was losing us games....I'll take a few weeks where I'm just happy that the current QB didn't lose us the game. Give him sometime and I feel pretty confident that he'll be the reason we win a few we shouldn't.

Eight

I want to see a 2 back set with Anderson and Sewo but for some reason we never see it

i get the feeling we will see a bit more of the offense with each week and there have been a few new things this year.

the disaster in the passing game hasn't helped and i think the fact the frogs haven't needed to show much to win has kept things under wraps.

still pretty amazing with as bad as the passing game was last saturday the frogs trucked purdue basically handing off the ball again and again and again.

texas_sicilian

It’s a bit of a catch 22. You don’t want to throw Duggan to the wolves in league play (particularly with such poor WR performance), but you also can’t waffle on the QB situation much longer either - and the window for testing out anyone else like Collins or Baldwin is shrinking rapidly.

I personally think they have their QB, and he just needs more reps. Receiver drops are much more of an issue than his arm strength, and the drops are happening regardless of who’s behind center.

Who’d of thought we’d ever be in a situation where (too much) arm strength of a potential true freshman starter would be a concern? I’d rather have a bullet than a lob into oncoming traffic.

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Like GP said, you are going to get hit anyways. Hunt got destroyed even though he dropped the ball.
One thing that Duggan will get some Coaching on is avoiding passes that lead his receivers into hits. Just another wrinkle. Other subjects covered will likely be "Throwing the receiver open" and "Putting some air under the ball."

If, as noted by Gil and others, Max will be the "starter" this week, then he will get 75% of the snaps in practice. Hopefully, this will enable him to grow his abilities just a little bit more and hone his decision-making skills to a finer point. He faces a steep, and unforgiving learning curve...

Eight

One thing that Duggan will get some Coaching on is avoiding passes that lead his receivers into hits. Just another wrinkle. Other subjects covered will likely be "Throwing the receiver open" and "Putting some air under the ball."

If, as noted by Gil and others, Max will be the "starter" this week, then he will get 75% of the snaps in practice. Hopefully, this will enable him to grow his abilities just a little bit more and hone his decision-making skills to a finer point. He faces a steep, and unforgiving learning curve...

i think the biggest thing to speed the learning process is max actually getting time in life practice and game's where he has to make these throws.

the simulators are great, film session is important, but it is the very, very rare individual who can take those experiences and effectively apply it in a game situation which is the big reason i am not a fan of splitting the reps right now if max is going to be the guy

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
That has always astounded me about the position: How in the hell does a player somehow translate all that knowledge into instinctive action?

I am reminded of Willie Nelson's explanation of a golf lesson: "Now, spread your feet about shoulder width apart. Bend your knees slightly. Hold your hands out. Bend your elbows just a little. Grip the club with your left hand here, and your right there. Bend your back a little. Put your weight on your heels. (Much more humorous explanation follows, some contradictory...) Oh, and relax."

How the hell do you relax and let good decisions flow forth? I wonder about Delton, and his seeming over-thinking on every play. Is he simply burdened by the amount of information and struggling to find the right receiver? Overwhelmed and simply focusing on one guy to the exclusion of all others? Duggan doesn't seem to have trouble finding guys to throw to, but has a little hesitation in pulling the trigger. The ball, however, takes little time to get there!

PO Frog

There was a time in the 3rd quarter that the running game was smoking and I think Cumbie/GP wanted to try and get the passing game going. So they did 3 passes in a row and punted. After that it was back to the road grader and things continued nicely. But yeah, they gotta get that figured out.

Speaking to this weeks game, I sincerely hope that the team that traveled to Indiana and smacked the Big 10 will show up at AGCS on Saturday. So many times for the SMU game the Frogs seem to just come out super flat, while SMU is ready for their Super Bowl, and we end up with a game that is tied or behind at halftime. If there is going to be time to work on the passing offense, the whole team will need to be ready to go from the opening whistle.
No, there was an awful QB keeper and then back to back drops including the D Davis one on the scramble left and that was the last of that...

Latest posts