• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Why TCU coach Gary Patterson isn’t anointing a QB1 following impressive victory at Purdue

CountryFrog

i really don't want to see tcu play 3 quarterbacks unless the game is a blow out.
Nor do I. I have no clue where Baldwin is health wise or in terms of the QB competition, but IF the coaches want to get him real playing time then I think it has to be in place of one of the current 2 players. There's just no way you can prepare 3 guys in one week of game planning and practice.

I'd much rather them just pick one and go with it obviously, but if Baldwin earns the playing time in practice and the passing game continues to struggle then you have to give him a shot at some point. I'm very much hoping for one guy to take the job and run with it very soon, regardless of who it is.

McGregor's Goat

I'm all in favor of having a second QB play to take some of the pressure off Duggan as he grows into the role, but I would rather have that second guy be Collins or Baldwin if they're healthy.

Delton's passing numbers through two games: 11/28 (39.3%), for 4.4 yards/attempt with 0 TDs and 1 pick. That's a crime scene of a stat line. Duggan is averaging 5.7 yards/attempt and that is only good for 104th in the country right now. By the way, the much maligned Mike Collins averaged 7.6 last year.

As great as the defense and running game were on Saturday, we need a better passing game. I just don't see it happening with Delton.

Froggish

Duggan was 3-9 in the second half and was the victim of 3 drops

1st drive out of the lockers THunt and DDavis let him down on back to back nice plays. 0-2. Pass to Hunt was beautiful and the Davis Pass was on a scramble that looked like a vet play.

2nd drive is much better..3-4 with a TD to ADavis w/ 2 great balls to Reagor. Play before the TD DDavis drops yet another ball..

3rd Dr...0-3 with 2 horrible passes to Reagor and a blown up screen that took way to long to develop to Sewo.

4th drive no passes and Max has some nice keepers...Sewo and Anderson do most the damage

5th dr No passes..Held the ball way to long for a 3rd down sack

6th Dr had some nice keepers but no passes..Anderson TD.

- We didn’t throw a single pass from 5min left in the 3rd Q until the end.

- Max was EXTREMELY poised in the RPO game and showed he can be a running threat. Got positive yards on every single keeper. He is a dual threat..

-Held balls a little long but is processing through his reads like he’s taught.

His stat line sucked but he actually played pretty well. He was the victim of 6 clear drops. If he gets even 4 of those he’s 11 of 18 for about 120 yards (60%Cpl) and we probably hit them for 40+ points. I know 11-18 won’t get it done but this kid is a true fresh playing his first significant snaps in his career. There is WAY more good in the Purdue game then we see in the stat sheet.

Finally...All the WRs have let the QBs down but my goodness..DDavis is responsible for Prob 7 Drops by himself in 2 games..We badly need Barber back in the slot

4th. down

i could care less what the depth chart reads or who gary says in public.

all that matters is who gets the practice reps and game time. duggan needs work, but the guy who looked lost was the senior and supposedly his strength was his decision making.

It's hard to say what happened to Delton in the Purdue game but with his multiple years experience and against a middle of the road Big 10 team, I would not have expected that type of performance.

Delton's stats. were 1/6 for 5 yds. and 1 interception - that seems hard to believe especially with GP passing out accolades over fall camp about him. Still, he has talent and value - move him around, receiver, RB, QB (for special packages just tailored to his strengths). Bring Collins up - he throws a catchable ball.

4th. down

Yep, I think it's just a function of seeing reads more quickly and hopefully that will come sooner rather than later. Seems to me like he's holding it a tick too long, there's a slight hesitation, and then he probably subconsciously senses he's a little late and throws it too hard to compensate. Sometimes all it takes is a nice completion or two to kind of settle down but they have been so few and far between.

Yes, and also on his first 2 offensive series he was only taking a 1 step drop and that changed after that. The defensive line was on him immediately. Maybe he did take too long on his release but hell, no one is open and he's running thru his progressions. Once when he was sacked, I swear he was on his 4th. progression - to many receivers dogging their routes with don't give a [ Finebaum ] attitude.

Was Anderson the receiver recruiter before Malcolm came on board?

McGregor's Goat

I saw this quote from GP in the Star Telegram today:

“One way or the other, Alex Delton has done an unbelievable job of coming in here,” Patterson said. “He’ll always be a team captain at the end of the year. He’s been one of the reasons why I think we’ve had a great chemistry and done a lot of things. He’s added more than just throwing passes to TCU’s football team.”

I'm thinking/hoping that means something like, "We really appreciate his coming here, he was a great influence on the guys, and going forward he probably isn't going to play very much."

Wexahu

Yes, and also on his first 2 offensive series he was only taking a 1 step drop and that changed after that. The defensive line was on him immediately. Maybe he did take too long on his release but hell, no one is open and he's running thru his progressions. Once when he was sacked, I swear he was on his 4th. progression - to many receivers dogging their routes with don't give a [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] attitude.

Not really fair IMO to put all the blame on the receivers, and I thought the pass blocking was fine, expecting him to have all day to go through 3 or 4 progressions every play isn't realistic. I just don't think he's seeing everything all that well yet. I know on the TD pass to Davis the ball should have been thrown WAY earlier than what it was, lucky it was just a total defensive breakdown.

Wexahu

I saw this quote from GP in the Star Telegram today:

“One way or the other, Alex Delton has done an unbelievable job of coming in here,” Patterson said. “He’ll always be a team captain at the end of the year. He’s been one of the reasons why I think we’ve had a great chemistry and done a lot of things. He’s added more than just throwing passes to TCU’s football team.”

I'm thinking/hoping that means something like, "We really appreciate his coming here, he was a great influence on the guys, and going forward he probably isn't going to play very much."

I think that's exactly what it means.

Mean Purple

How did his HS receivers catch these “fastballs”?
Not saying he doesn’t need to learn touch, but receivers need to catch whatever is thrown at them.
This is a yes/sorta type deal.
His highlights from high school show a mix of bullets and passes with touch. Just that his passes that are not bullets are not soft fades the likes you see in these parts.
His fastball was on target in the clip below.
Right around the 2 min mark
around the 2:59 mark
about the 3:18 mark
around the 4 min mark.
All times approximate.

Oh, and the kid can run.

4th. down

Not really fair IMO to put all the blame on the receivers, and I thought the pass blocking was fine, expecting him to have all day to go through 3 or 4 progressions every play isn't realistic. I just don't think he's seeing everything all that well yet. I know on the TD pass to Davis the ball should have been thrown WAY earlier than what it was, lucky it was just a total defensive breakdown.

Yes, he did see Davis late. I'm not suggesting that he goes thru all those progressions but hell, no one is open, he has to.

Moose Stuff

Baldwin has been running the scout team defense against the first team defense for a little while now. I would not be surprised to see Baldwin practice with the offense this week and get some reps against SMU.

Seems like an awful idea to be honest. If you throw Baldwin (or Collins) into anything other than a blowout it better be because you’re making them the starter. Just randomly running one of them in for a series or two opens up a whole new can of worms and just complicates things further IMO.

06DallasFrog

If there’s still an open competition after this week, we are screwed. IMO the offense moves with more urgency when Duggan is in.

If we’re going to give a previously injured transfer who hasn’t played since early in his senior year of high school a shot at the starting job during conference play... well this is the last poorly punctuated sentence you’ll see from me this season