• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Why TCU coach Gary Patterson isn’t anointing a QB1 following impressive victory at Purdue

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
duggan.jpg

Why TCU coach Gary Patterson isn’t anointing a QB1 following impressive victory at Purdue

By Drew Davison

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – TCU coach Gary Patterson wasn’t going to anoint true freshman quarterback Max Duggan as the starting quarterback following a 34-13 victory at Purdue on Saturday night.

“No, we’re still going to have two guys play,” Patterson said. “They’re both going to play. You guys, you’re not going to get an answer all year, so that we understand.”

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article235119977.html#storylink=cpy

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
“Max is going to have to understand that he can’t always throw a fastball - holy moly,” Patterson said. “The guys probably have dents in their hands. … We’ve got to throw a catchable ball. He’ll learn all that. It’s good to win and learn from it, not lose and learn from it.”

4th. down

Yeah, we've all said it, throw a catchable ball.

IF, he can learn to do that this season, we going to be good and with this defense and special teams, real good. I'm talking Rose, Peach, 2nd. half Alamo (Bram) good. This year's defense doesn't come along often, they are a special TCU defense.

How about a shout out to our special teams coach, coach Cross. What a job he's done.........so far.

CountryFrog

I think he is just very amped up. The game will come to him.
It's VERY common for a young freshman QB to go through this. Everything is moving so much faster at this level than anything you've ever seen before and so your natural tendency is to also speed up everything that you're doing.

The thing that I'm very encouraged about is that I've seen very few mental mistakes from Max. He seems to be going through his progressions properly and throwing to the correct receivers. I emphasize SEEMS TO BE because the coaches are the only ones who really know that for certain, but he certainly hasn't been forcing many passes into a lot of coverage. I do believe he'll get better with his accuracy and his velocity/trajectory as he continues to get more comfortable. The big question there is how long it will take to get him to that point. Everyone is different. Trevor Lawrence for all his talent still struggles with some of that as a sophomore.

Eight

i could care less what the depth chart reads or who gary says in public.

all that matters is who gets the practice reps and game time. duggan needs work, but the guy who looked lost was the senior and supposedly his strength was his decision making.

CountryFrog

I wonder if he keeps Alex as co-starter to keep Max from thinking the game is entirely on his shoulders. A lot of pressure for a true freshman.
Interesting thought and very possible, at least in regards to the public comments. It keeps the media attention more centered around who is the QB as opposed to zeroing in on non stop analysis of Duggan. As Eight mentioned, the only thing that really matters is what's being communicated to the players in meetings and who is getting the practice time.

CountryFrog

How did his HS receivers catch these “fastballs”?
Not saying he doesn’t need to learn touch, but receivers need to catch whatever is thrown at them.
The answer is pretty obvious and what I alluded to above. He wasn't throwing these fastballs in high school because the game around him was moving much slower and it was a lot easier for him to feel comfortable and make the proper types of throws.

This is something that pretty much every young QB has trouble with when moving up from high school to college or from college to the NFL.

Obviously there have also been catchable balls that were not caught. There is one slot receiver in particular who probably needs to have his playing time greatly reduced and likely will when some injured players return to the lineup.

Wexahu

The answer is pretty obvious and what I alluded to above. He wasn't throwing these fastballs in high school because the game around him was moving much slower and it was a lot easier for him to feel comfortable and make the proper types of throws.

This is something that pretty much every young QB has trouble with when moving up from high school to college or from college to the NFL.

Yep, I think it's just a function of seeing reads more quickly and hopefully that will come sooner rather than later. Seems to me like he's holding it a tick too long, there's a slight hesitation, and then he probably subconsciously senses he's a little late and throws it too hard to compensate. Sometimes all it takes is a nice completion or two to kind of settle down but they have been so few and far between.

Shorty

FWIW regarding Duggan's hard throws, this is from the /r/CFB postgame thread:

Poster 1: I wonder if he's just paranoid of throwing picks, or if his high school receivers just got used to catching laser beams.

Poster 2: As one of his HS receivers, we just got used to it. The QB before him is the starting QB at the Univeristy of South Dakota, so us older players were used to bullet passes.

Eight

the other aspect with duggan aside from the touch is he is having to adjust to the tighter coverage he is seeing on his receivers as well as the overall difference in the speed of the game as many have pointed out on this and other threads.

if you go back and watch his footage from high school you don't see a great deal of tight coverage. not a knock on iowa high school football, but just an observation that very, very, very few high school secondaries have 2 or more d-1 athletes in their secondary.

you hear people make silly comments all the time about great high school teams that could beat bad college teams and great college teams that could beat bad nfl teams when they don't have a clue just how big the jump is with each level.

in the end i really don't care if it is max, collins, baldwin, or delton, but some how, some way the frogs need to be able to put a competent passing game on the field this year to compliment the run game and it just seems counter-intuitive to run multiple concepts and packages.

MinFrog

FWIW regarding Duggan's hard throws, this is from the /r/CFB postgame thread:

Poster 1: I wonder if he's just paranoid of throwing picks, or if his high school receivers just got used to catching laser beams.

Poster 2: As one of his HS receivers, we just got used to it. The QB before him is the starting QB at the Univeristy of South Dakota, so us older players were used to bullet passes.

Does Poster 2 have any eligibility left?