• The KillerFrogs

building from this game, what do you want to see from this team?

Eight

while it is rare, i believe that most of the posters on this board would be in agreement that overall there was a big improvement in the play of this team from game 1 to game 2. i said overall and will touch on the elephant in the offensive room in a minute.

one of the things i really enjoyed during the 2014 season was the way that team progressed over the course of the season and really was a better overall team than when they started the year as players matured, gained confidence, and both sides of the ball came together.

so, taking 13 more wins this year off the table what do want to see from this team going forward this season?

offensively, i will leave the elephant in the room, strike that the herd of elephants in the offensive room to others, and not say the passing game (all phases be it quarterback, receivers, and design.).

first thing i would like to see is a true offensive identity emerge. if the staff believes that this offense can be run centered offense that needs to be the focus and build from there. i do think a big step in forming an identity starts with naming a starter at quarterback and instead of working on plays that fit each of the players playing the position, work on improving the play of the position in the framework of the offense.

second, i am waiting to see the counter in the run game. if the stretch play and zone blocking is going to be the staple of the run game so be it. hone the hell out of it and make defenses have to go into a game saying they are going to take that away from the frogs.

that sets up a counter move and be it the counter trey/trap in the run game or play action passing if am interested in watching how the offense develops.

defensively and this might sound crazy after saturday, but continued improvement in the defensive line in both production from the front line and depth.

i think corey and ross just flashed a bit of what they can do as a pair and i think once mathis and blackshear become more consistent this front has the potential to control most of the offenses the frogs will face. the other part is continued development and production from the reserves in the defensive line.

cooper did some very good things last night and while it might sound greedy i would love a 4th d-tackle to emerge so fitch could truly rotate 4 inside. outside, workman has shown some good things as well as plant. big thing is consistency and if this unit can start rotating 7-8 guys playing hard each snap and wrecking [ Finebaum ] along the line this defense will be playing at a level needed for the frogs to contend for the top of the conference

Tshirt Fan

TCU football team did ok.
The KFer meltdowns in the game thread were AMAZING!

It was like we were losing and self-destructing and the world was falling apart.
Every second post was DOOM!, GLOOM!, FIRE CUMBIE, NO MORE DELTON!
When I checked scores this morning, TCU had won convincingly?
How is that even possible?

A bunch of T-Shirt fans is what y'all are.

Wexahu

i would love a 4th d-tackle to emerge so fitch could truly rotate 4 inside.

Didn't notice Ellis last night at all. Is he still on the team? He's the one I figured would be that 4th guy, seems like he got more than just a little bit of PT last year.

Limp Lizard

I got the feeling that GP left a lot of in his quiver. No need to throw too much out there, although we as fans would have loved to see more. I think that there is a whole lot more to our offense and defense that was not needed last night. One thing I have learned is that GP doesn't show anything this time of the season that he doesn't have to. Plus Gary's teams don't really get rolling until game 5 or 6 (this year it has to be game 5: @ ISU).

Yep the passing game needs a lot of work. Hopefully with one QB that will start to improve. Need to develop another #2 besides just Delton.

Coaching points galore on their touchdown drive: tackle the damn QB when you have him for a sack, dammit! And Stewart allowed a long TD catch behind him. Pity for Stewart, because he had played a great game for a true Freshman in his second game up to that point. Still, a good opportunity for him to learn so it doesn't happen again.

PhillyFrog

I think they will fix the problems in the passing game. It's all about reps.

The strategic problem I worry about is depth at LB and CB.

Yes, I realize every team has attrition. But I want to see Ben Wilson healthy soon and to get our other starting CB healthy before conference starts.

And maybe see Collins get some snaps in the second half against the Ponies.

ThisIsOurTime

The coaches have shown in the past that they will stick with the run/pass balance. That isn't going to change. The best they will do is tweak the % a little to favor the run. I also don't want them to go too run dominant because we need to keep developing Duggan and if that later includes Baldwin him as well. We still want to be working towards having a complete team by season end. This is what I would like to see improved upon this season:

1. I want to see Duggan and the receivers find a rhythm.
2. I want the TE Wells to get 4 or 5 passes every game.
3. I want us to limit the Duggan runs this season and rely on our SR RBs.
4. I want us to keep using our RBs in the passing game.
5. I want us to add in the occasional trick play to manufacturer some more offense.
6. I want us to keep using Delton to help keep Duggan from getting overwhelmed during the game and because Delton is an above average runner. I wouldn't even mind seeing a package where we have Delton and Duggan in the backfield or Delton in the slot.

Froggish

I loved seeing us maul Purdue up front but I’ll be honest, I don’t think we can do that consistently. Especially in Big12 play. That running game was beautiful last night but I think it will fail us at some point. Big 12 defenses are a lot better then Purdue and they also know us better.

I want to see efficiency in the passing game. I can live without big plays but the chain moving 6-8 yard throws have to be there for us to be a contender. As I said in another thread, someone is going to be smart enough to 7 in the box and make Max beat them throwing it..Can we do it. Not right now..

Defensively there isn’t much to complain about. Mathis and Blackshear haven’t really been factors so far. You can almost see the wheels turning on every play. They are way over thinking their jobs. DTs are playing really well..The step Ross made from game 1 to 2 was awesome. Workman might deserve some more time and you can see his motor and aggressiveness.

Special teams play has been great..

Eight

Didn't notice Ellis last night at all. Is he still on the team? He's the one I figured would be that 4th guy, seems like he got more than just a little bit of PT last year.

i don't think george played at all last night and checking his bio on the roster they don't show anything for the first two games.

do recall that when tcu rotated the first defensive line out of the game in the fourth it was cooper and soni misi playing defensive tackle.

george did play in some games last year so i don't know if it is an injury thing, hasn't progressed, raised level of comp with misi and karter?

Eight

I think they will fix the problems in the passing game. It's all about reps.

The strategic problem I worry about is depth at LB and CB.

Yes, I realize every team has attrition. But I want to see Ben Wilson healthy soon and to get our other starting CB healthy before conference starts.

And maybe see Collins get some snaps in the second half against the Ponies.

you raise an interesting point about collins getting snaps.

as inconsistent as max looked throwing the ball delton to me was a complete train wreck in his decisions and then execution a few times. he really looked out of sorts.

as good a kid as he might be from all reports i think not only is the starting job competition over, but i do agree it will be interesting to watch if there are changes in the back-up situation.

Froggish

i don't think george played at all last night and checking his bio on the roster they don't show anything for the first two games.

do recall that when tcu rotated the first defensive line out of the game in the fourth it was cooper and soni misi playing defensive tackle.

george did play in some games last year so i don't know if it is an injury thing, hasn't progressed, raised level of comp with misi and karter?

I can’t remember why but I got the impression in a IG post he made that he might be injured

Eight

one formation i would like to see shelved for a bit is the empty set.

not sure frogs right now have 5 receivers who catch the ball better than jet or especially sewo out of the back field.

sewo catching the ball out of the backfield has the potential to pose some problems for the defensive backs trying to tackle him.

also a matter of time before defenses start coming all out without the threat of the run.