• The KillerFrogs

Questions:

VA Froggie

Great game, good win, but each game will always have questions and this one does to. I have no doubt we will show up and compete in any game we play, that is Patterson football. Last night were we that good or was Purdue that bad? Gary had a great defense plan and it really did work. We had a great offensive plan and boy did it work. Question becomes, are we that good or is Purdue that bad? Everyone is going to run on Purdue or are we are the best running team in the country and that could be the case. A bunch of dropped balls but Duggan seem to throw everything on a rope. A good receiving team catches most of his rockets but this was as many drops as I’ve seen in awhile so this question becomes are they thrown too hard or just bad hands? Great game. No one predicted this outcome. Some had Purdue favored and one source had TCU favored by 2 1/2. Are we that good or are they that bad, the question of the day?????

fanatical frog

These are good questions. All we know is that historically CGP's teams improve maybe more than some as the season goes along and he always saves something for the big games.

y2kFrog

Duggan will get better throwing, but as HCGP said, he needs to learn that "not every throw needs to be a fastball".

Hopefully, Duggan goes 100% with 1’s this week to help develop some chemistry. I can see how the WR’s can be confused catching fastballs one minute and ducks the next. It should have happened before the bye week. Whatever time was spent with Delton and the 1’s the last 2 weeks was wasted time. It was obvious after the APB game who should be the starter.

lowfrog

These are good questions. All we know is that historically CGP's teams improve maybe more than some as the season goes along and he always saves something for the big games.

Good questions, but I believe it is both. We are good and Purdue really isn't. Also agree we will improve and we'll see things in big games this season, for example, Texas, that we haven't seen in games yet. Regarding the drops...it's a difficult equation. In practice there are few drops because receivers know they are not going to get hit. The receivers can see the ball coming and they can position themselves and keep eyes on the ball into their hands. There's plenty of time for these behaviors in practice. The coaches now seldom, if ever, allow full on defense and hitting in practices to reduce injuries and encourage the good receiving behaviors. Unfortunately, in games the receivers are going to be in situations where they cannot see the ball coming, can't position themselves, and keep eyes on the ball into their hands. There isn't time for those behaviors in games and the receivers know they are going to get hit. What can a coach do? They have to continue to have no hitting in practices to reduce injuries and continue to encourage the good behaviors. Maybe, later in the season, before the big games, they can introduce hitting in practices. In the end, the coaches have to rely on the receivers to figure it out. The receivers have to be willing to take the risk of catching and securing the ball in games and balance that against the near certainty of being hit and possibly injured. And, let's all keep in mind, these are young men still at the beginning of their lives and potential football careers. A devastating injury can quickly end everything. It's a tough issue in college football. All the coaches can do, really, is recruit kids they believe have football smarts and mental toughness and then hope that allows them to figure it out.

Last edited:

Salfrog

Tier 1
My biggest concern at this point is our wr's. They have been dropping balls for the past 3-4 years now. This HAS to be fixed somehow. That is the big question, how does it get fixed.

Is it a concentration thing, or are our recievers just that bad? The qb situation is working itself out, especially after last night. There should be no more question who the qb is, unless GP wants to continue playing stupid head games.

robbroyy

We have an NFL receiver on the team. He can’t teach his speed but he can show his guys the technique he uses to catch. While he’s not perfect he’s the best we got and he usually at least catches the easy ones which is really all we need right now.

Slants and mesh routes when you’re open have to be caught. Not like we’re asking for Doctson type catches.

Billy Clyde

We overmatched them pretty badly on both lines. That's only likely to happen a couple more times the rest of the season. Not to say we won't be strong, but the B12 average talent level is way above what they showed.
I love our run game, DA looks like the best RB we've had since LT. Sewo is borderline NFL, I'd bet he's a late-round pick- His continuous improvement as a runner has been really impressive, and he's obviously always been committed to the training.
But if we don't throw for a lot >75 yards a game, we aren't having a good season. I have high hopes that a week of practice with Max getting all the first team reps will get him more on the same page with the receivers. I don't see how they could get any worse. Kid has the makings of being the Offensive Newcomer of the year in B12.

Froginbedford

Great game, good win, but each game will always have questions and this one does to. I have no doubt we will show up and compete in any game we play, that is Patterson football. Last night were we that good or was Purdue that bad? Gary had a great defense plan and it really did work. We had a great offensive plan and boy did it work. Question becomes, are we that good or is Purdue that bad? Everyone is going to run on Purdue or are we are the best running team in the country and that could be the case. A bunch of dropped balls but Duggan seem to throw everything on a rope. A good receiving team catches most of his rockets but this was as many drops as I’ve seen in awhile so this question becomes are they thrown too hard or just bad hands? Great game. No one predicted this outcome. Some had Purdue favored and one source had TCU favored by 2 1/2. Are we that good or are they that bad, the question of the day?????

After the sucky 4-8 2013 season, I asked the same question early in 2014 and was torched on here....Ultimately we were proven to be that good....Perhaps you have uncovered a positive omen for the season....

TCUWIN

Good and fair questions. However, I think our offensive coaches knew Purdue d-line could not handle our o-line and we would be able to run at will. So we didn’t want to put too much on film. Our receivers dropped balls on purpose so everyone will plan to stop the run. We are saving the passing game for Texas and Oklahoma. My proof: notice Duggan never looked upset or frustrated when the balls hit the ground! Btw- complete sarcasm...catch the dang ball (and don’t throw so hard Duggan!)!

Brog

Good and fair questions. However, I think our offensive coaches knew Purdue d-line could not handle our o-line and we would be able to run at will. So we didn’t want to put too much on film. Our receivers dropped balls on purpose so everyone will plan to stop the run. We are saving the passing game for Texas and Oklahoma. My proof: notice Duggan never looked upset or frustrated when the balls hit the ground! Btw- complete sarcasm...catch the dang ball (and don’t throw so hard Duggan!)!

Yeah, right.