• The KillerFrogs

Week 3 - Other Games

WhoDatFrog

Watching highlights and see that UVa beat Florida State. For those that didn’t see the game or highlights....They were at home, in Charlottesville. Looks like they rallied in the 4th, and in admittedly exciting fashion, stopped FSU on the final play of the game inside their own 5yd line.
UVa fans (students) rushed the field.
With as bad as FSU currently seems to be, it seems ridiculous to me that fans would rush the field.
Question: under what circumstances is it acceptable to rush the field?
I can think of several.....big game/bowl win (nat’l champ, bowl, conf champ), win over rival, epic situation (incredible play, comeback, etc), setting a major record or extending/breaking a streak (like ‘92 win vs UT).
Any others? Did this game fit one of the “acceptable” reasons to storm the field of which I’m unaware?
Just seemed pretty ridiculous.

nwlafrog

Watching highlights and see that UVa beat Florida State. For those that didn’t see the game or highlights....They were at home, in Charlottesville. Looks like they rallied in the 4th, and in admittedly exciting fashion, stopped FSU on the final play of the game inside their own 5yd line.
UVa fans (students) rushed the field.
With as bad as FSU currently seems to be, it seems ridiculous to me that fans would rush the field.
Question: under what circumstances is it acceptable to rush the field?
I can think of several.....big game/bowl win (nat’l champ, bowl, conf champ), win over rival, epic situation (incredible play, comeback, etc), setting a major record or extending/breaking a streak (like ‘92 win vs UT).
Any others? Did this game fit one of the “acceptable” reasons to storm the field of which I’m unaware?
Just seemed pretty ridiculous.

Imo, Has to be a major rivalry or big win that will be in the history books. Other than that, it’s trash.

TCUdirtbag

Big 12 went 7-2 this weekend, 2-0 vs. ACC
1-0 vs. SEC, 1-1 vs. B1G, 0-1 vs. PAC.

Meanwhile, the ACC went 4-4 OOC. All 4 wins were over G5/FCS schools and the losses were: Kansas over BC, Citadel overt Georgia Tech, WVU over NC State, and Penn State over Pitt. VT barely squeezed out a 1-TD win over Furnan in Blacksburg

The B1G had a bad day too. Maryland most to Temple. Illinois lost to Eastern Michigan, Michigan State last to Arizona State, and Minnesota barely hung on to beat Georgia Southern by 3. The only bright spots came in Ames with Iowa and with Penn St over Pitt.

The PAC had a mixed bag with decent wins in Wazzu over UH, ASU over MSU, and Zona over Tech. But some bad losses in BYU over USC, Air Force over Colorado, UCF over Stanford, and OU big over UCLA.

Last edited:

TCURiggs

Big 12 went 7-2 this weekend, 2-0 vs. ACC
1-0 vs. SEC, 1-1 vs. B1G, 0-1 vs. PAC.

Meanwhile, the ACC went 4-4 OOC. All 4 wins were over G5/FCS schools and the losses were: Kansas over BC, Citadel overt Georgia Tech, WVU over NC State, and Penn State over Pitt. VT barely squeezed out a 1-TD win over Furnan in Blacksburg

The B1G had a bad day too. Maryland most to Temple. Illinois lost to Eastern Michigan, Michigan State last to Arizona State, and Minnesota barely hung on to beat Georgia Southern by 3. The only bright spots came in Ames with Iowa and with Penn St over Pitt.

Iowa St just darns up that Iowa game every. freaking. year.

Last edited:

TX_Krötenechse

This is the second or third acknowledged officiating mistake so far this season relating to end-of-regulation errors. There has also been a lot of problems where time keepers dont stop the clock appropriately for first downs, across multiple games in multiple conferences.

I’m not trying to imply anything in particular but officiating across FBS seems noticeably worse this season compared to last.

CountryFrog

This is the second or third acknowledged officiating mistake so far this season relating to end-of-regulation errors. There has also been a lot of problems where time keepers dont stop the clock appropriately for first downs, across multiple games in multiple conferences.

I’m not trying to imply anything in particular but officiating across FBS seems noticeably worse this season compared to last.
Officiating has always been pretty spotty, it's just so much more obvious now when a mistake has been made than ever before. There's no doubt that clock errors have been around as long as clocks have been a part of the sport and missed calls have always been prevalent, we just didn't have the technology to be able to catch every single mistake the way we do now.

There's also an obsession in society with always wanting to focus on how different people have been wronged by those in power (sometimes justifiably so and sometimes not), and officiating mistakes are a great way of doing that in sports.