• The KillerFrogs

CATCH THE GALL DARN BALL!!!!!!!

Tumbleweed

What I saw was a lack of concentration and effort. Poor performance. They almost act like they don't want to catch a ball thrown by Max. Unwilling to fight the DB's for the completion.. In short a soft performance by soft receivers!

Last edited:

ShreveFrog

What I would do (I’m sure many on KF.c won’t care).

Warmup drill: Have a coach or 2 throw different size footballs, including very small balls consecutively to the same receiver everyday. The balls should vary in weight as well. This drill makes the receiver watch the ball all the way through the entire catching process. I used to do it with various size basketballs when my players had the drops. Normally the bigger kids on the basketball team needed this drill the most. We did it regularly and it definitely helped.

I would also have a QB use regulation size balls and throw bullets, like Duggan throws, and have the WRs “catch the ball as quietly as possible” to work on soft hands.

You catch with your eyes, your feet and your hands. I can’t remember how many times I’ve said that in practice.

With all that said, I truly believe the receivers will get used to Duggan’s bullets (in game conditions).

Good to have you on board, Tom House!

Westsider

I’m surprised Max has no touch on passes that require it. I know that kind of thing probably comes with experience, but he’s a coach’s kid for crying out loud.

McGregor's Goat

I really like Duggan, but I thought both QBs threw the ball poorly (I know, we destroyed Purdue and I shouldn't complain; I'm just commenting on the topic at hand). Both QBs missed receivers who were open for TDs (Delton's overthrow of Reagor being the most obvious). I think the difference is that Duggan has talent and can throw good passes, Delton just doesn't have the talent to be an adequate passer. Also - if Collins is healthy, I have no idea why Delton is ahead of him. I don't think Collins is great but he is much better than Delton.

Having said that, yeah, the number of drops continues to be incredible. It seems like Reagor is the only guy who can consistently catch a ball that hits him in the hands.

McFroggin

Max’s high school WR’s last year could catch his passes. It isn’t like he was a poorly recruited QB whose arm abruptly blossomed last year. This is all WR issues. Purdue’s WR’s turned bad QB play into catchable balls. Our WR’s turn catchable balls into garbage.

Preseason concerns of a QB with the ability to establish an effective passing game may have now been resolved.

The concern now is....do we have any receivers who possess the ability to catch those passes? (Reagor excluded)

notyalc

Receivers need to go back to the fundamentals of catching the football. Max seems like he goes through his progressions and finds the open receiver a little late then throws blistering fireballs to make up for it.

My biggest concern is a lot of our receivers just aren't getting open. Maybe thats something Cumbie should be working on.