• The KillerFrogs

CATCH THE GALL DARN BALL!!!!!!!

SwissArmyFrog

Duggan throws such a fast, hard ball it is tempting to think that the receivers just need some time to get used to it.

But Duggan's been there plenty long enough for that, so that's out as an excuse. I know some of the drops were really tough catches, but enough weren't so tough, and it was somewhat frustrating.

TCUWIN

On the Purdue fan forum a Purdue fan said...”It’s a good thing TCUs WRs are complete trash. If they were even decent we’d have to shut our whole football program down tomorrow”
Wow! They talk trash after getting totally dominated. Are they the Texas AM of Indiana?

Froggish

Wow! They talk trash after getting totally dominated. Are they the Texas AM of Indiana?

Most everyone over there acknowledged that they got bombed by us. Nobody was really talking trash. The poster point was true, our WRs played like trash. Two games in a row that we turned 50 point wins in to far less do 100% to poor wr play. At some point, probably next week, a team is going to sell out to stop the run and we had better find a passing game or we’ll get beat.

TX_Krötenechse

I saw three or four egregious drops that hit the receiver perfectly. Four or five more that were catchable balls where the receiver got one or both hands on the ball and catch it.

We had at least one drive ended by a dropped pass and also dropped a TD.

This has been a problem at TCU for YEARS. How is this never addressed?? Why do we continue to play receivers who only catch a third of the catchable balls thrown to them?

I saw three or four egregious drops that hit the receiver perfectly. Four or five more that were catchable balls where the receiver got one or both hands on the ball and catch it.

We had at least one drive ended by a dropped pass and also dropped a TD.

This has been a problem at TCU for YEARS. How is this never addressed?? Why do we continue to play receivers who only catch a third of the catchable balls thrown to them?
It really is perplexing that it has continued for the last several years. It continued with Burns as the receivers coach and now has continued, and maybe gotten worse, with a the new coach (Kelly). Is it something that we're not doing in practice? Are we missing out on our top choices at recruits and getting guys with measurables that are just raw and thinking we'll teach them how to catch? I don't know but it is very frustrating to keep seeing it for multiple years.

Jim Bob Cooter

Fire Cumbie.

Nobody is saying “Fire Cumbie”...idiot.

What some reasonable and smart people are saying is that our receivers are terrible. Not just “meh...tough catch...make some miss some”.....but flat out AWFUL! So how do we get better? Because that trash will lose us games.

froglash88

What I would do (I’m sure many on KF.c won’t care).

Warmup drill: Have a coach or 2 throw different size footballs, including very small balls consecutively to the same receiver everyday. The balls should vary in weight as well. This drill makes the receiver watch the ball all the way through the entire catching process. I used to do it with various size basketballs when my players had the drops. Normally the bigger kids on the basketball team needed this drill the most. We did it regularly and it definitely helped.

I would also have a QB use regulation size balls and throw bullets, like Duggan throws, and have the WRs “catch the ball as quietly as possible” to work on soft hands.

You catch with your eyes, your feet and your hands. I can’t remember how many times I’ve said that in practice.

With all that said, I truly believe the receivers will get used to Duggan’s bullets (in game conditions).

robbroyy

I think a lot are worried about the hit coming right after the catch. The jugs machine has been around since the beginning of time to work on catching fast balls.

It’s amazing how bad they are right now.

Is anyone going to the GP lunch on Thursday? Ask what’s being done in practice to get better at catching.

Pharm Frog

I think a lot are worried about the hit coming right after the catch. The jugs machine has been around since the beginning of time to work on catching fast balls.

It’s amazing how bad they are right now.

Is anyone going to the GP lunch on Thursday? Ask what’s being done in practice to get better at catching.

How would CGP know that? Why not ask the OC during his press conference?

robbroyy

How would CGP know that? Why not ask the OC during his press conference?
GP I’m sure has a staff meeting every day where they lay out the script for what everyone will be doing every minute of practice.

How often is Cumbie available during the week? I’ve never seen him.