• The KillerFrogs

FWST: How will TCU handle its QB situation against Purdue? Plus more things to watch.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
How will TCU handle its QB situation against Purdue? Plus more things to watch.

By Drew Davison

TCU’s quarterback situation remains unsettled for now.

Fifth-year senior Alex Delton and true freshman Max Duggan are expected to split snaps once again at Purdue on Saturday, coach Gary Patterson said. But Patterson expects Delton or Duggan to eventually seize the job.

“I expect at some point in time it’ll be very obvious who the guy is who should take most of the snaps,” Patterson said earlier this week.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article235042937.html#storylink=cpy

VA Froggie

This is an interesting situation. You have a fifth year senior with a ton of experience and a very talented freshman with a ton of future in the program. Both are winners but who do you hang our hat on? Pine Bluff is a hard game to make a decision on considering the team and performances but I don’t think you can two platoon too long. Nice problem but a problem none the less. Who do you go with?

texas_sicilian

This is an interesting situation. You have a fifth year senior with a ton of experience and a very talented freshman with a ton of future in the program. Both are winners but who do you hang our hat on? Pine Bluff is a hard game to make a decision on considering the team and performances but I don’t think you can two platoon too long. Nice problem but a problem none the less. Who do you go with?
You go with Delton to start for a couple of reasons: he’s played against hostile crowds on the road, and can force the defense disarray with his feet. You see how he does, and if he struggles you put in Duggan.

Putting in Duggan after a few drives helps for a couple of reasons: it gives him time for his nerves to settle (being his first major game in college football on the road), and he can study what the defense is doing against Delton from the sideline.

If Delton is on fire (which I think will be unlikely), you keep him in and Duggan gets more reps towards the end. I personally think SMU is going to be the game where we finally establish a true starter, but anything’s possible.