• The KillerFrogs

College football: Anybody watched Maryland offense?

Limp Lizard

After I heard the score I recorded and watched a replay of the Maryland-Syracuse game. Either Syracuse has a really bad defense, or Maryland is a rolling ball of butcher knives on offense. At first I thought there was a Baylor connection because it reminded me of a Briles offense when it got going: Many drives had no substitutions so they ran at breakneck speed until they scored, and the Syracuse defense was really gassed by the 2nd quarter. Lots of short passes for big gains. QB really got rid of the ball quickly. A really good running game to supplement the passing game. And the thing that stood out to me was lots of short passes on vertical routes over the middle which went for big gains.

But then I looked up the coaching staff, and no, no Baylor/Briles links.

Their OL was very good, lots of pulling and what looked to me like complex blocking which was executed very, very well.

Very entertaining. I would like to hear other opinions on that offense.

CardFrog

After I heard the score I recorded and watched a replay of the Maryland-Syracuse game. Either Syracuse has a really bad defense, or Maryland is a rolling ball of butcher knives on offense. At first I thought there was a Baylor connection because it reminded me of a Briles offense when it got going: Many drives had no substitutions so they ran at breakneck speed until they scored, and the Syracuse defense was really gassed by the 2nd quarter. Lots of short passes for big gains. QB really got rid of the ball quickly. A really good running game to supplement the passing game. And the thing that stood out to me was lots of short passes on vertical routes over the middle which went for big gains.

But then I looked up the coaching staff, and no, no Baylor/Briles links.

Their OL was very good, lots of pulling and what looked to me like complex blocking which was executed very, very well.

Very entertaining.

I would like to hear other opinions on that offense.

I would like for them to play Texas again.

Mean Purple

I can't believe this is the same coach that was at New Mexico. That had no clue what so ever.
The difference is College Park is really dedicated to getting a winning program and in process of boosting facilties, etc. NM is not. Resource help. Plus, Coach L got to learn a lot under Saban. And he has a stable of running backs that are just insanely talented.

Limey Frog

I believe I'm taking this from a comment Dan Reubenstein made on the Solid Verbal (the best CFB podcast, imo), but it could be something I read on The Athletic (great site; worth a subscription):

Mike Locksley was co-OC at Alabama the past two years, along with Josh Gattis who is now running the show offensively at Michigan. Apparently there was some disagreement as to which of them deserved the most credit for Bama's transformation into a team with an offense as prolific as its always-stingy defense. Well, compare Maryland through two games to Michigan. Looks like Mr. Locksley was the one.

Eight

I believe I'm taking this from a comment Dan Reubenstein made on the Solid Verbal (the best CFB podcast, imo), but it could be something I read on The Athletic (great site; worth a subscription):

Mike Locksley was co-OC at Alabama the past two years, along with Josh Gattis who is now running the show offensively at Michigan. Apparently there was some disagreement as to which of them deserved the most credit for Bama's transformation into a team with an offense as prolific as its always-stingy defense. Well, compare Maryland through two games to Michigan. Looks like Mr. Locksley was the one.

possibly, but gattis works for harbaugh and i have a feeling harbaugh still has a great deal of say about the michigan offense while locksley is the hc at maryland and if he isn't calling the shots something is really wrong.

maryland had good talent, but it was a bad situation, they had injuries they hurt them the past two years, and they were running a very conservative offense

locksley is running a simply huhn spread and they have beaten howard and an overated syracuse team that i am not sure why they were rated in the top 25.

JockO de Frog

Michigan has a week off and then I think Wisconsin will put them in their place--a usual under performing Harbaugh team. Actually, a one-dimensional Army team has already shown that but the AP jokesters are too worried about dropping a blue-blood.

Bob

I would like for them to play Texas again.
LOL - saw this sign on College Game Day from a Castrated Bulls fan.
Screen-Shot-2019-09-07-at-9.56.04-AM.png

Be careful what you wish for girls.

Chongo94

According to a buddy of mine in DC, they’ve also pulled in some serious quality recruits the last 3 or 4 years. Apparently, that previous coach was a very good recruiter. Seems like it may all be coming together under Locksley, which seems crazy giving the show we saw with him at New Mexico.

Froggish

possibly, but gattis works for harbaugh and i have a feeling harbaugh still has a great deal of say about the michigan offense while locksley is the hc at maryland and if he isn't calling the shots something is really wrong.

maryland had good talent, but it was a bad situation, they had injuries they hurt them the past two years, and they were running a very conservative offense

locksley is running a simply huhn spread and they have beaten howard and an overated syracuse team that i am not sure why they were rated in the top 25.

Probably not unlike what is going on at Michigan, I'm beginning to believe some of Cumbie's issues are related to being torn between doing what he wants (and is most familiar with) on offense, and what GP expects him to do to be complimentary of his defense. SC hasn't been all that good at putting an acceptable product on the field and that's clearly frustrating GP. As it relates to the offensive side of the ball, I feel like we are grasping for straws and hoping for the best.

Eight

Yeah, Locksley was 2-15 in that powerful Mountain West. What in the hell happened to him, did Nick set him on the right path?

talent can make you look like a much better coach.

locksley was having to build a program from the ground up at unm while at maryland he inherited a talented roster and a wealthy alum who was willing to give you what you need to be competitive.

chip looked much smarter at uo taking over an established program stocked with athletes and a booster ready to write whatever checks were needed than he does right now at ucla.

SuperBarrFrog

Totally agree on the athletic and solid verbal. Don’t forget the audible with stew Mandel and Bruce Feldman.

Limp Lizard

I did not know that was the same HC at New Mexico. That was a horribly coached team. Obviously he has learned a lot over the last few years.
Their OC, Scotty Montgomery, was a poor HC at East Carolina, with three 3-9 seasons, but is apparently doing a good job coaching this offense. Their execution was crisp. Plus the OL looked really good.

PurpleBlood87

Yep that Maryland offense was tremendous today against the mighty Temple defense. Racked up 13 points and 340 yards.

Then at the end of game with 2 minutes to play Locksley goes for the win instead of kicking a field goal to get to within two points.

Theb before the fourth down and 10 he burns his last timeout. Temple holds and then downs the ball four times to run the clock out.